Turn on thread page Beta

The Death Penalty watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4409857.stm

What are your views on the Death Penalty?

ReputationRep:
    The death penalty is not the answer. Even if the accused has taken a life, you can't simply take his life in compensation. The loss of any life is tradgic, whether it be an innocent little girl, or a massive repugnant criminal. Considering no one knows what happens after death, is it right that someone should be allowd to end anothers life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_1)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4409857.stm

What are your views on the Death Penalty?
    we need it in my opinion. for cases such as this. the government seems totally incapable of introducing and enforcing laws that allow people to be locked up so its surely time to look at different options.

ReputationRep:
    Why was the Death Penalty abolished in this country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_1)
    Why was the Death Penalty abolished in this country?
    I think people saw it as "inhuman" and wrong, and it was abolished. And it was very outdated, we still had the medeival "hanging" execution style in the early 60's..

ReputationRep:
    In my last politics supervision, he said that if the public had what it wanted we'd have the death penalty. As if to suggest that the people didn't see it as wrong, but the government thought they knew best?

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetically speaking though, don't even courts make mistakes...maybe we can stick the head back on afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minime64)
    I think people saw it as "inhuman" and wrong, and it was abolished. And it was very outdated, we still had the medeival "hanging" execution style in the early 60's..
    I don't think there was a national clamour for its abolition.

ReputationRep:
    Read John Grisham's "The Chamber" - amazing book!

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be brought back but only should be used is the trial is fair etc. Afterall, whats the point in keeping Saddam behind bars all his life when he'll most likely die in a cell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalparadox)
    I think it should be brought back but only should be used is the trial is fair etc. Afterall, whats the point in keeping Saddam behind bars all his life when he'll most likely die in a cell?
    Interesting and ironic use of "Saddam" and "fair trial"

ReputationRep:
    Killing people is always wrong, unless they're in severe pain and will ultimately die anyway and ask to get an injection. Oh and foetuses, but that's another thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalparadox)
    I think it should be brought back but only should be used is the trial is fair etc.
    The problem with this is that you are assuming that a fair trial will lead to the right jury decision. A trial can be 100% fair and the jury can still make a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. There is always room for error; unfortunately, when you've killed someone, you can't really say sorry.
    Killing someone because they've killed someone else just doesn't make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercat)

Killing someone because they've killed someone else just doesn't make any sense.
    Let's say a guy went on a killing spree in a mall and killed 20+ innocent people (including children), does that mean he has a right to live?

ReputationRep:
    Personally i don't think the death penalty should be brought back. If say someone was to kill someone very close to you you would want the killer to suffer, if the death penalty still occured the killer's death would be over with, with probably no suffering. By prolonging is life in jail for ever until he dies would make him suffer far more than the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lettuce)
    Personally i don't think the death penalty should be brought back. If say someone was to kill someone very close to you you would want the killer to suffer, if the death penalty still occured the killer's death would be over with, with probably no suffering. By prolonging is life in jail for ever until he dies would make him suffer far more than the death penalty.
    so in other words you want to waste tax on some futile revenge? and you do think the government would allow people to "suffer" in jail. no. they get looked after and even educated at your expense. here have a telly and a playstation.

your logic is severely twisted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    so in other words you want to waste tax on some futile revenge?

oh dear.
    good point hadn't really thought about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lettuce)
    good point hadn't really thought about that.
    most people against the death penalty often havent unfortunately...

ReputationRep:
    I've been over these arguments 100 times. If you are to agree with the death penalty you need to satisfy yourself of two things:

1.) Killing people can be the right thing to do.
    2.) It is better than locking people up and throwing away the key
    3.) It is possible to be 100% confident of every conviction

I do not believe in the death penalty since all of my thoughts stumble on one of these three hurdles, often a different one each time.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.