Who thinks that Philosophy is pretentious intellectual snobbery? Watch

organised_chaos
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(1) Science and mathematics are, as well, fundamental parts of philosophy
(2) Metaphysics is the study of truth, and I'm sure truth has a profound effect on most people's lives
(3) You probably think in a philosophical way everyday without even realising it. What about when you make ethical decisions or judgements about things you see in newspapers or on tv? What about when you think about religion or beauty? These are all types of philosophical thinking which shows that philosophy is very relevant to everyday life. And the fact that some branches of it aren't applicable to modern day life means nothing; I'm very sure that there are parts of physics, medicene, anthropology and many others which are so far removed from real life that only a few people in the world have knowledge of them, this is not a quality exclusive to philosophy by any means.
(4) The 'abstract' study of philosophy has given us our modern day legal systems, our political structures, the foundations of science and mathematics, and so much more than that. Mere 'mental masturbation' would never offer such results, I'm sure.

If you were to write a book on your premise that Philosophy is seemingly abstract and pointless, I can assure you that it would be quickly dismissed for it's unsubstantiated claims and poor structure!
kimwillow
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Personally this is the whole idea,to open peoples minds and to make them think about things they wouldn't normally question.(Thinking outside the box basically)

To me philosophy is about doing that and also questioning your beliefs,so when someone else is questioning them you are able to fight your corner and present things so people consider your point of veiw.

Whats wrong with wanting to challenge things to help you get a better view and understanding of the world?!?

As we speak part of the idea of philosophy is working as by starting the conversation you have played right into the it by questioning.

I must admit that alot of it may seem strange but once you look at it we have alot of philosophical thoughts most of the time,but wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same thoughts and beliefs as each other?and that would be the only way that philosophy couldn't exist if we were all the same and didn't question anything

Theres a philosopher inside all of us even if we dont realise it.
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Iago)
That is a metaphysical statement.
It is? It doesn't seem very much like one to me. It looks like a statement of philosophical logic to me.
Iago
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I find that most philosophical logic is essentially metaphysics, or at least has a fundamental metaphysical aspect. To attack the meaningfulness of metaphysical statements is to engage in metaphysics, because it is an attempt to say something about how the world 'really is', whether it be concerned with the essential relationship between the world and language or whatever. Even the most negative philosophy (with regard to metaphysics) has to, if it is to be a philosophy at all, make some kind of positive statement about the nature of reality. Its why logical positivism was doomed to fail. Its why any wholesale rejection of metaphysics is doomed to fail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (123)
56.94%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise