The Student Room Group

Applying for Retail Job With No Previous Retail Experience

Scroll to see replies

Temp jobs are always good to look for if you don't have previous retail experience. :yep:

My first job was as a Christmas Temp at M&S, I applied online and they allocate you an interview time if you correctly answer their customer service test. :tongue: It's the same process for permanent jobs there also.
Reply 21
Original post by ktlaurenroe
I've got an interview at Asda and no retail experience. Not got the job yet obviously, but they wouldn't give me an interview if it was an issue, you should be fine :smile:

Hey there, thanks very much for the reply. Did you just hand your CV straight into the store yea? As opposed to searching for vacancies on the asda jobs website?
Reply 22
Can I just ask everyone how exactly they went about applying for their jobs? Was it simply a case of handing in a CV to your local branch, or was it through the company website?
Reply 23
Original post by briesandwich
Temp jobs are always good to look for if you don't have previous retail experience. :yep:

My first job was as a Christmas Temp at M&S, I applied online and they allocate you an interview time if you correctly answer their customer service test. :tongue: It's the same process for permanent jobs there also.

Yea I tried places like Boots and Argos at Christmas just there for temp jobs but unsuccessfuly. Ah well. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Original post by Prime500
Hey there, thanks very much for the reply. Did you just hand your CV straight into the store yea? As opposed to searching for vacancies on the asda jobs website?

Nooo, I applied online. It's a new store, only opened a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd see if they had any vacancies - they did, I applied, got an interview :smile: good luck!
Reply 25
Hey, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice. I absolutely worked my arse off today and yesterday, and I've managed to get two interviews already. I printed off and handed out about 50 CVs in my area, so hopefully more will be forthcoming. I've filled out a lot of application forms as well, so hopefully these will lead to something as well. I'll just have to wait and see.
Original post by metro2610
River Island!

I'm sure we just hire anyone who turns up at recruitment...

Hi! I've just noticed this post and received a placement at a 'recruitment event' for next week. Could you offer any advice or anything to what it entails? Anything would be appreciated, thank you. :biggrin:
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Hi! I've just noticed this post and received a placement at a 'recruitment event' for next week. Could you offer any advice or anything to what it entails? Anything would be appreciated, thank you. :biggrin:

Hey, no worries :smile:

First of all, as you've probably been told, you need to go dressed to suit RI's 'current trends' :rolleyes: Apparently to show you take an interest in River Island's latest styles.

There are two types of recruitment, group and individual. Ours was a group one so, basically, the intake will get divided into two three groups and you've got to do tasks together while being observed by a manager.

i.e - You get asked questions about 'the qualities needed in a RI sales advisor' etc. You'll also probably be shown a selection of outfits and asked which celebrities they're based on (which we did). I've also heard that in other recruitments, you're given a specific criteria to design an outfit around.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the individual recruitment drives, but all I can say is try and stand out but don't overrule other people.

Be yourself man, hope that helps :biggrin:
Hey, no worries :smile:

First of all, as you've probably been told, you need to go dressed to suit RI's 'current trends' :rolleyes: Apparently to show you take an interest in River Island's latest styles.

There are two types of recruitment, group and individual. Ours was a group one so, basically, the intake will get divided into two three groups and you've got to do tasks together while being observed by a manager.

i.e - You get asked questions about 'the qualities needed in a RI sales advisor' etc. You'll also probably be shown a selection of outfits and asked which celebrities they're based on (which we did). I've also heard that in other recruitments, you're given a specific criteria to design an outfit around.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the individual recruitment drives, but all I can say is try and stand out but don't overrule other people.

Be yourself man, hope that helps :biggrin:

That was very informative and will help me to prepare :tongue:

Thank you very much. :smile:
That was very informative and will help me to prepare :tongue:

Thank you very much. :smile:

No hassle :yy:

Good luck!
Reply 30
Got another rejection today, sad times.
Got another rejection today, sad times.

Just keep trying :smile: It took me two years to get my retail job which I got with no previous work experience after applying almost to every shop in my town. Just keep checking the job centre website and hand your CV into shops :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by DellaLouise
Just keep trying :smile: It took me two years to get my retail job which I got with no previous work experience after applying almost to every shop in my town. Just keep checking the job centre website and hand your CV into shops :smile:

I handed out CVs to almost every shop in my town and two other towns nearby, so if anything does come up, at least my CV will be there for consideration. I'm also going to be starting in a charity shop, so at least that'll be some experience that I can use in order to help find a paying job in retail.

Just another point I think will help you man.

If you haven't got any previous retail experience, don't be surprised if you end up with a job in the warehouse. It's a little misleading because you're still classed as a level 1 sales advisor when you're there, regardless of where you end up.

I started at the warehouse but managed to blag shifts on the shop floor instead after a few months, so if that's what you want, you can still get it through that route eventually.

Thought you should know, just in case.
Just another point I think will help you man.

If you haven't got any previous retail experience, don't be surprised if you end up with a job in the warehouse. It's a little misleading because you're still classed as a level 1 sales advisor when you're there, regardless of where you end up.

I started at the warehouse but managed to blag shifts on the shop floor instead after a few months, so if that's what you want, you can still get it through that route eventually.

Thought you should know, just in case.

Ah thank you for mentioning that, I'll be sure to seek clarification of what the role entails next week. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by emi_sarb
I got a job at TK Maxx with no experience. If you're only looking for a weekend job most places aren't too picky. Supermarkets are also good as they don't usually require experience and they often have a lot of evening and weekend hours that will fit in around uni.

Hi I need to fill in my tk maxx job appliation but I've never had a job before, so should i leave employment history empty?? Ive volunteered at Age Concern and so on should i just include that in employment history??

And do you mind giving me any hints on the competency questions?? I really need this job!!!!
Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 36
Thanks for the advice everyone, you're being very helpful :smile: Good to see it's not as hopeless as I though it'd be.

Did you manage to get a job?
Reply 37
I have applied next for Christmas temporary work but no reply and they mention that anyone can apply even those who do not have experience but why they did not contact me?
Hi, can you please tell me what did you put on your CV , can you give me some advice please
Reply 39
Original post by nazrul123
Hi, can you please tell me what did you put on your CV , can you give me some advice please

I think it depends on the layout and the job you want to go for. For mine I put my details at the top like name, address and your contact details then an introduction explaining my skills/availability, then the work experience I have, education etc etc and I ended mine with references.

Your CV should only be able 2 pages long. Just make sure that there are no awkward breaks in the middle where the first page ends and the second begins and it should look pleasing to the eye.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending