The Student Room Group

Crystal Ski Interview!

Hi, I have got a crystal ski interview coming up for resort rep and i wonderred if anyone had any idea what its like?

What shall i wear? What should i take? any tips for the presentation?
Reply 1
my friend recently aced his and secured a job at his choice of resort. my tips (which i gave him too)

his one was a group interview where he had to do some dumb task and if he passed it he progressed to a stage where he was giving his presentation
i'd recommend you wear a suit/female equivalent
what should you take? erm nothing really...
for your presentation (presuming it's the same type as his) i'd recommend anything that's a bit unique to you, and is original.
in your presentation/interview you HAVE to stress these points:
you are a hard worker (use GCSE results/achievements to show this)
you pick up things easily (again certificates? my friend used his pilots license)
you are devoted to something (anything you've been doing a while that's EC?)
you have great SOCIAL skills (anything that's sociable really, having ajob maybe...not 'hanging out with mates' though..)
you're a team player (has having a job/running a soc taught you anything?)
but whislt being a team player...you can also work indepdently
say you love skiing (obvi)
do some research on which resort you're going for and then tell them you know the resort well, drop some SLY informational facts about why you like the resort (e.g. for Val d'isere you could say you like the resort because of it's trad. architechture, especially the 600yr old church - youre dropping in resort knowledge with youre adoration of the resort!)

my advice? if you can fulfill all of those, make up a few not ridiculous lies to show it

i hope you've got a better idea now as that took a while to type out
Reply 2
Thanks for this!! yes it really helped!! i'm guna start putting my presentation thing together :smile: thankyou!
Reply 3
Original post by katieking92
Thanks for this!! yes it really helped!! i'm guna start putting my presentation thing together :smile: thankyou!

Hey :smile: How did your assessment day go!? I have mine soon and wondering what kinda things people said in their presentations? Thanks! :smile:
Since this thread is a little dated now I thought I'd give an update on 2015/2016 applications:

So this is how the day went for me,

- Crystal staff presentation, the staff all introduce themselves talk about their careers with crystal/TUI and some of the experiences they've had, they talk about the role (in my case chalet host), and they show some videos on the company.
-The staff go to do some admin, and people are called out to give national insurance, passport, bank details etc, so make sure you have a photocopy of each of these, as they don't make that entirely clear in the email. Meanwhile, the rest of the group (around 40/50 applicants) are left to play ice breaker bingo, where you have to walk around and learn snippets of info and get to know everyone. Really make the effort here, learn peoples names, be outgoing, getting friendly with people will make the day go easier, and ease your presentation nerves.
-THE DREADED presentation, this is where the spotlight is on you and its your chance to really show the interviewers what you can do, they want personality, enthusiasm, and energy. Do your research, plan it on a resort, make it interactive if you want to, the other applicants will answer your questions if needed. PRACTICE it at least 100 times, know it off by heart so that nothing can phase you on the day. You'll either be broken up into small groups or you may have to present in front of the whole room, so prepare, there are some fantastic youtube videos from over zealous americans that give great presentations tips, from body language, to the inflection of your voice, really handy. (Please don't bring a powerpoint)
-Priority test/discussion, you'll be given a list of things you have to do, whilst hosting on change over day, you have to prioritise these and place them in order of how you'd complete them, once this is done, you and your group have a discussion about why and then together you agree on an order that everyone agrees with. Be calm, funny and friendly, they're looking for sensible answers and a personable attitude.
-Social Media test, you're given a sheet with 4 photos on and you must write tweets that give customers information in a fun informative way. READ the task carefully, lots of people treated this as a joke because of the pictures and they got sent home at lunch.
- Speed interview, you get called out to have a super quick friendly interview with one of the staff, questions like 'why do you want to be a chalet host?' ' why crystal?' 'what will be your biggest challenge?' 'tell me about your cooking experience'. Very easy, and you're on a high from smashing the presentation by then, hopefully...
- Cookery test, basic cookery written test, brush up on gluten free baking, vegetarian and vegan meals, how to make a victoria sponge, an omelette and just basic cookery. Buying a chalet cookbook could maybe help, but i think as long as you study the above you'll be fine.
-LUNCH.... or purgatory for the budding seasonnaire. This is an hour where they will review all the tasks you've done so far and decide who makes it back for the afternoon session. Eat something, you'll be nervous but you need energy and some water to get focussed for the next phase.

- Half of your new friends will be sent home, its all very reality TV show, but keep your head and get prepped for...
-Roleplay, you'll be brought into a room by an assessor who will watch and make notes on how you deal with a disgruntled customer (or another staff member in this case), so keep calm, listen to the customers problem and come up with a solution, maybe solve the problem and offer some free wine or an extra special cake for tomorrows afternoon tea. Not too hard this, so don't worry, take your time and stay in character.
-Staff go through some more about the job in a presentation, vibe gets way more chilled and you get to ask questions and start deciding where you want to be stationed if successful, they'll tell you about travel and pay, and get you all really psyched up.
-LASTLY, Competency based interview. A longer interview with one member of staff whereby you must answer questions with relevant evidence to show, well, your competence. For example, times you've worked in a team, worked by yourself, worked with another department, cooking experience. Then they ask if you have any questions, make the most of this, ask about where they like to ski, where is good to live, show your enthusiasm and make the most of having an interesting seasoned worker in front of you. Then you get to decided where you want to be stationed if successful, whether you want to work solo, dual or in a group, and a few last details.
-Your done, shake hands, keep eye contact, smile and remember peoples names by using them!

GOOD LUCK, and practice that presentation 100 times

See you on the slopes
i have an interview for crystal ski next week and was wondering if you knew about what your presentation was going to be about before you went, because I'm panicking a little because i don't know what its going to be about?
Reply 6
Original post by gabwakeman
i have an interview for crystal ski next week and was wondering if you knew about what your presentation was going to be about before you went, because I'm panicking a little because i don't know what its going to be about?

Hiya gabwakeman, I have also got an assessment day next week but haven't been given any information on a presentation. Have you contacted crystal to ask about it? I'm slightly worried now because I assumed that the lack of information meant that we would be briefed on it on the day.
Hey, I he my crystal ski assessment day at the end of June and we didn't know what our presentation was, we did a group presentation which they gave us all the info we needed and half an hour to plan it. We also did a short 1 or 2 minute presentation on our favourite place to go on holiday, hope this isn't too late! Let me know how it goes. Btw I got the call a few weeks ago and I'm going to work as a rep in France :smile:
Reply 8
Hi, just wondering how you apply for these ski rep roles? The website is unclear and can't find applications for things other than current vacancies but I'm looking in terms of next seaon (oct/nov 2017- april 2018) Thanks !
Original post by zara2121
Hi, just wondering how you apply for these ski rep roles? The website is unclear and can't find applications for things other than current vacancies but I'm looking in terms of next seaon (oct/nov 2017- april 2018) Thanks !

Applications for the 17/18 season won't open until around May, that's the earliest you can apply! Good luck
Has anyone done the assessement day this year and knows what tasks and activities may be done

Quick Reply

Latest