if you could choose what sex and what your kid looked like would you?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
hotchick200
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
we were talking about it 2day in skool wat do you think? do you think it matters what your kids look like and would it effect how much you loved them?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
People that care what their kids look like do not deserve parenthood.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How can you choose?
hotchick200
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
How can you choose?
i erd sum thin about been able 2 change the geens of babies
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hotchick200)
you misunderstand me. I KNOW that. lol - i meant...oh never mind
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Genetic engineering and manipulation.

Yes, it will be possible but they'd have to fertilise an egg in a test tube and somehow change the genetic material of the embryo, and then put it in the mother's womb - that's IVF, isn't it, just with the genetic manipulation on top?

I wouldn't want to. I'd know that they'd look a bit like me and a bit like their mother, whoever that might be. Also it'd take away the surprise and excitement of watching them grow up.

However, screening for genetic disorders would be good, but unlikely that they'd have any unless the mother had a family history of it.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
you misunderstand me. I KNOW that. lol - i meant...oh never mind
i know what you meant and its true how can one honestly pick between a girl or a boy or are we still back in a backward society where girls are seen as inferior to men merly because a penis allows them to carry the family name!!!!!
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Where is the excitement in having a perfectly tailored child. You may as well make everyone identical so no-one can be singled out or ridiculed. While your at it, only let those people who pass specific tests raise children, not just those who get by the practical.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So Levi's instead of Wrangler...

Someone had to say it!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
i know what you meant and its true how can one honestly pick between a girl or a boy or are we still back in a backward society where girls are seen as inferior to men merly because a penis allows them to carry the family name!!!!!
Maybe some families would like a boy and a girl.

Maybe some families have had 3 boys and want a girl.

Anyway, there are more girls than boys in the population as it is.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by pal_sch)
While your at it, only let those people who pass specific tests raise children, not just those who get by the practical.
Isn't that social darwinism?

An interesting idea, but everyone should have the right to have kids. It's like genocide I guess, just through extinction rather than direct action.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Maybe some families would like a boy and a girl.

Maybe some families have had 3 boys and want a girl.

Anyway, there are more girls than boys in the population as it is.
Thats not the point its the principle of the matter...you shouldnt choose it is open to abuse....yes in an ideal world it might be possible but this is reality!!!!
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Isn't that social darwinism?

An interesting idea, but everyone should have the right to have kids. It's like genocide I guess, just through extinction rather than direct action.
Shockingly, there are arguments for controled breeding. The human race may stop evolving as people become more liberal and less discerning about sexual partners, and as medical advances make genetic probems that would otherwise kill someone surviable. This could mean we are stuck as we are, no improvements other than those offered by science.

If this happens, then would controled breeding be right?

I personaly believe that evolution will continue anyway, but maybe just be slowed down untill science catches up with humanity.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Shockingly, there are arguments for controled breeding. The human race may stop evolving as people become more liberal and less discerning about sexual partners, and as medical advances make genetic probems that would otherwise kill someone surviable. This could mean we are stuck as we are, no improvements other than those offered by science.

If this happens, then would controled breeding be right?

I personaly believe that evolution will continue anyway, but maybe just be slowed down untill science catches up with humanity.
Hmmm, you could argue that hereditory diseases are best left untreated, or at least not passed on. Maybe they will be far more widespread in the future.

Also, denying some couples the chance to breed will just make an underground of outlawed children, because they will breed anyway and their children will never officially exist and be denied basic rights, so it'd be bad for them too.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
There are further arguments involving controling populations activities through drugs and control that follow on with those I posted before. These are extremely disturbing.

I prefer to believe that people can control themselfs. Inherited deseases can be destroyed, but that may change the genetic structure of the subject, making them somone else and changing the family line. This could lead to people getting similar things done for minor faults such as genes for hair colour etc.

Everything leads to people needing to make decisions about how to use our new abilities for self improvement.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Everything leads to people needing to make decisions about how to use our new abilities for self improvement.
Yup, with knowledge comes power, and with power comes responsibility.

I don't know what you think of America, but you should thank it for being responsible enough not to nuke the whole world like what nearly happened back in the Cold War.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yup, with knowledge comes power, and with power comes responsibility.

I don't know what you think of America, but you should thank it for being responsible enough not to nuke the whole world like what nearly happened back in the Cold War.
Still enough nukes around today.
Even just Britains nucear armerment could, while not wiping out the world, fataly wound it. All it takes is one mistake and humanity is trying to find ways to clean a damaged atmosphere of enough radiation to kill the dinosaurs 10 time over.

Only now we have extremist terrorists, bio-weapons, chemical-weapons and jet travel to spread things out evenly and quickly around the world. No one country could possibly contain a major disaster. Everyones fate is tied.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I just dont want to have a child with physical (& mental) abnormalities. Its any parents' worst nightmare.

So if I could choose then yes I would. But not the sex. Just the looks. Just to make sure it aint anything abnormal.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
if i think about it yes i would prefur a boy and i would prefur him to be really attractive

But what really matters is that if i am ever lucky enough to have children with someone who i Love and want to spend the rest of my life with then all that really matters is that they are healthy... and happy.

I would not choose to have a designer child, i would want the genes of my son or daughter to be only that of my Wife and myself, and the fate of those genes... well i hope that is just going to be up to the serendipity of life
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Designer babies aren't possible yet because we don't fully understand how the genes contribute to physical appearance - the genetics of most of these things are very complicated. But I don't think it's something we should strive for. I would rather my child were a true offspring of mine than that its genes were fiddled with to make it 'perfect'. It's people's little idiosyncracies that make them special. And if my child were born deformed or handicapped, then so be it - they'd still be my child.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (56)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (177)
15.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (128)
10.97%
Lack of purpose or motivation (165)
14.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.83%
Loneliness (101)
8.65%
Financial worries (39)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.8%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.8%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.31%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.91%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (104)
8.91%

Watched Threads