Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    An incident tonight, and on previous occasions has made me question something - is the standard for driving tests too low?

A friend of mine passed on his 5th or 6th attempt. Tonight, first time properly in the car with him, I put my head down to text - stopped telling him "Lights. Corner. Junction." every 2 minutes - he didn't know the road. That is NOT an excuse. He missed a corner and junction. Just about avoided writing his car off. He passed about a month ago.

Another incident, involving another friend of mine. She passed on her 2nd attempt. On numerous occasions I have seen her pull out infront of cars and nearly have them crash into her, she also managed to smash her car up by skidding into the back of me. I did an emergency stop, she missed the van pulling out infront of me, also my brake lights, and the double normal stopping distance.

A neighbour of mine. Learnt for a good year-year and a half. She STILL parks her car half sticking out into the road. She's so hesitant driving - still - and she passed a good 2 years ago.

Maybe I've just had bad experiences - but does anyone else feel like this about new drivers? That perhaps driving tests should be changed - somehow?! (And no, I've no idea how!)

ReputationRep:
    are these friends women?

they seem to be more stressed driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piiiink)
    A friend of mine passed on his 5th or 6th attempt.
    Haha! What? Does he have a motor neuron problem or something?

ReputationRep:
    I guarantee you, if you got everyone in the UK to resit a driving test whos passed, 80% or so would fail. People forget the information within weeks or passing, all my friends said the same thing...

However, just because they dont know the information, doesnt mean they're bad drivers. And vica versa.

One thing i think: Anyone over the age of 55 should be made to drive around with an instructor for say an hour, once every 3 years or so, just too make sure the person is compitent on the road. Old people are just as dangerous as young people when it comes to driving.

I heard a tradgic story of an eldery man who drove up the wrong side of a dual carriage way, killing himself and a car full of people....Seriously, they are more dangerous than you think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranksy)
    One thing i think: Anyone over the age of 55 should be made to drive around with an instructor for say an hour, once every 3 years or so, just too make sure the person is compitent on the road. Old people are just as dangerous as young people when it comes to driving.
    No they're not. I think you need to look into the accident statistics on this and ask yourself why insurance companies charge a lot more money to insure an 18 year old than a 65 year old.

ReputationRep:
    No, one of the friends mentioned was male. But it does make me wonder - why are people allowed to pass when there confidence is so low?? Shouldn't they maybe introduce some way of helping this? Lots of accidents happen to young people. I'm getting to the age where a few school mates have been killed in accidents. Seems to be from 17-21 the majority of people have their "serious" accidents. I agree that old people are dangerous, but not as dangerous as the younger ones.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say younger drivers are more dangerous, rather, more careless/reckless.

Old people drive far too slow (do they know cars have more than 2 gears??), their respone times are appauling, and their general awareness is dire...

Yes young people are more reckless, but those of whom dont speed or show off are probably the most careful drivers. I don know, its a difficult one.

One thing that gets me is when people open their car doors into the middle of a main road once they've parked. Its like they're asking you to knock the door off and squash them against the side of their own car.

ReputationRep:
    Its not driving ability thats the problem- if they couldn't drive they wouldn't pass! Its the responsibility of driving out alone and with pressure from mates to drive a certain way- lots of people don't have that and that can't be taught it comes with experience. Old people are just senile :p: ! Seriously though most of my mates have passed now and some of them especially the lads are reckless on the roads, one has written his car off got a new one and crashed that 3 times and he'l still drive at double sometimes triple the speed limit- thats just stupid! I'm guilty of speeding and definitly don't drive to test standard any more (i think 80% of people failing is a bit low if anything :eek: ) but when i passed i could drive and don't feel i'm any less safe now, theres no problem with the test its the follow up stuff thats the problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Haha! What? Does he have a motor neuron problem or something?
    I have an acquaintance (currently at medical school and with ambitions to become a surgeon, worryingly) who passed on his eighth attempt.

*Snigger*

Anyway, as to the point in the original post: I don't think it really matters. Ultimately, most people forget what they are taught, and very few people upon failing will accept that they're just too **** - they'll resit until they pass, even if it's by luck more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djigloo)
    i have just failed my 2nd attempt. but here is one for all you people first time round i had 5 minors and 2 serious which i accepted but this time round i took my instructor with me and everything was spot on and the instructor could see that but he was keepin an eye on the examiner which put down a couple of serious on the marking sheet so just to let you know watch out for these B*****D examiners they have a bad day u are more likely to fail. could jst be me tho dont like my face or something.
    Or you could be **** and have a **** instructor?

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a PHD in mechanical and marine engineering and he only passed it on his 5th attempt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I have an acquaintance (currently at medical school and with ambitions to become a surgeon, worryingly) who passed on his eighth attempt.

*Snigger*

Anyway, as to the point in the original post: I don't think it really matters. Ultimately, most people forget what they are taught, and very few people upon failing will accept that they're just too **** - they'll resit until they pass, even if it's by luck more than anything.
    Good God. UKL's D&D forum must be producing very little in the way of interesting debate if you are responding to something I posted in December 2005.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~|Shock|~)
    My dad is a PHD in mechanical and marine engineering and he only passed it on his 5th attempt.
    lol, what exactly is your point here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Good God. UKL's D&D forum must be producing very little in the way of interesting debate if you are responding to something I posted in December 2005.
    ****. I rarely notice when some prat has resurrected a long-dead thread.

Wow. Uber necropost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    lol, what exactly is your point here?
    The ablity to drive a vehicle is not directly proportional to intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~|Shock|~)
    The ablity to drive a vehicle is not directly proportional to intelligence?
    intelligence comes in a variety of forms...you could be car-smart but pretty useless when it comes to academia/qualifications etc...

confidence comes in a variety of degrees...

dealing with nerves on the day of the driving test has much to do with passing and failing...

i genuinely believe you also need some luck on the day itself. I should, letter of law, have been failed when i was actually passed third time round. I should have been passed when i was failed in my second driving test...

there are quite a few determining factors at play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    i genuinely believe you also need some luck on the day itself. I
    :ditto:

A lot of luck is needed.

By the way, failing the test dosent always mean someone's skill is poor, I wonder how many times it took Luis Hamilton to pass his.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried finding out but can't. Probably first time but interestingly, he got a months ban from French roads after clocking 122mph on a motorway. This was in December of last year. Naughty.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.