Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, are there any guys intending to apply to an scotish university in 2006?

what nc do you have (your average mark of school leaving examination). my one is 3 dot 0. are there any chances to succed in applying in scotland. what about higher ranked unis like st andrews, glasgow oder edinburgh??

nice weekend?

ReputationRep:
    UK universities are very hard to get in..well most of them.
    If you are familar with A, B, C system. Then most would require at least an A in one subject the rest are B. Less likely they will accept C, you might get in if you are an international student.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got 3.0 you probably would get into some, but not the good ones. Usually, it is necessary to obtain an average of well above 2.0. I applied to nottingham, and they say I need 2.0 at least and 12 points in 3 examination subjects. AAA compares to about 1.3-1.0, AAB is 1.4-1.6 maybe, and it goes up like that...

ReputationRep:
    Most universities list even the German qualifications on their websites.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna apply to a scotish university?
    is there one, that takes me?

do you have a link or a tip how to find german qualification requirements of unis in the uk?? i cant find any...

thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niklas85ger)
    i wanna apply to a scotish university?
    is there one, that takes me?

do you have a link or a tip how to find german qualification requirements of unis in the uk?? i cant find any...

thanks a lot.
    ´

There are plenty of universities in Scotland that demand less rigorous grades and still do good courses - I'm thinking of Dundee, Aberdeen, Strathclyde (in Glasgow), and of course the slew of colleges and universities in Edinburgh (Heriot Watt, Napier etc).

Edinburgh usually offer BBB as a standard grade - but don't be fooled, it's arguably the best university in Scotland and amongst the best in the UK. That's about a 2.0-2.3 NC though. Regarding St Andrews, it really depends on what course you want to do. Some are held in high esteem, and you'll need a very good NC to get in (AAB/ABB). Glasgow offer BBB usually, as far as I'm aware.

However, what they will want to see evidence of is a high standard of written and spoken english. I may be wrong, but judging from your grammar and syntax above, you'll have to become better at english. That said, it's still MILES better than some native TSRians...

It's very hard to get into UK unis as trihhoang mentioned. It's a lot more demanding than the german system. That's because UK unis are amongst the best in the world.

GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    my favored course is politics and my 3,0 - grade is equal to an UK-CCC, i mean.

not the best prospects... (?!)

ReputationRep:
    out of interest why do u want to go to scotland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superalex16)
    out of interest why do u want to go to scotland?
    I suppose because it's almost free of charge

ReputationRep:
    i love beautiful untouched countryside. scotland's grey-green, calm image and of course its the most cheap possibility for a study in an english spoken land. but my chances seem low... sadness

ReputationRep:
    3.0 is better than CCC, I'm pretty sure about that. German Abi grades are usually ranked higher than A Levels. There's no harm in applying. I'd pick one or two really good unis and then four insurance choices that aren't as picky. If your reference and personal statement are good and you can show keen interest in your course, you can totally make up for it. I got into Nottingham with 2.7, which isn't great and I never thought I'd get an offer, but here I am! In fact, five of my six unis have accepted me already. I would definitely give it a shot! Just make sure your reference is good! And if you pick unis that aren't as top notch as St. Andrews and Edinburgh, no doubt you'll get in! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    at first, sorry for my bad features in the english language. i'll have to work hard to better my style. yes, my english teacher was right telling i'ld had to "improve my style"...

thanks for these great news, anne. you make me feel hopeful. getting an offer at nottingham university is a thing i would not have believed before hearing. i've read they only take 2.0 or a better nc. but i won't talk stupid, because i've read many today, maybe i confound.

what was in your reference and personal statement? what is important for unis to read? i hope you understand my proposition to do my application as well as possible.

if you like to answer you can also do per email

edited :: my email address is available via pm

thanks a lot for your friendly answer,

yours niklas.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Niklas,

no problem. I realize the whole UCAS thing is confusing and I wouldn't have been able to do it w/o help, so I'm glad to offer advice If you prefer do to this in German, pm me. Or, well, I can just email you now. I'll do that in a sec. Just be aware that the UCAS deadline is Jan 15th, which gives you less than a month to finish your application. I'd recommend you talk to your English teacher (or whichever teacher you want to write your reference) before Christmas break and ask them to have it done by the time school starts again ... I'll email you now.

ReputationRep:
    Your writing style is fine. The only thing I would mention though is that you should say 'applicant' not 'applyer'.

The personal statement and reference are very important, more important than grades usually. The personal statement needs to be mostly about why you want to study the subject and to tell them about what you have done to increase your knowledge of the subject. The reference should just include things from your teachers about how great a person you are and how hard working you are.

You shouldn't post your email address.

Viel Glück!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I agree that PS and reference are more important than grades! That's the only explanation I have for having and offer from Notts lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne*UK*06)
    Yep, I agree that PS and reference are more important than grades! That's the only explanation I have for having and offer from Notts lol
    it's not just that, even though English is only your second language, you're obviously very fluent in it (at least written) which is almost a qualification in itself

ReputationRep:
    thanks for these flowers... :-)

i've checked all universities in scotland and i'm astonished about the requirement for political studies in aberdeen (a top uni): it's a CCC-grade. WOW :-)

ps: anne, thanks for your email benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianthead)
    it's not just that, even though English is only your second language, you're obviously very fluent in it (at least written) which is almost a qualification in itself

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

Well here's another German who'd like to study in the UK. However I'm quite worried about entry requirements too. My grades aren't exactly too outstanding so I'll prolly end up with an average of 2.6.

What I really wonder is how much do the predicted grades count compared to reference/personal statement?

Furthermore, we (me and my director) find it rather hard to predict the grades because I haven't nearly fulfilled my potential in the last year and more than 50% of the grades that count towards my final results are still to come. Wonder how the other Germans predicted their grades. Did you take the grades from the latest results or what did you do?

Has any of you taken the IELTS exam? If so, did you find it hard? Would be glad if you could state your englisch grade from school so it's easier for me to compare

Cheers!
    Ben

ReputationRep:
    Didn't find IELTS hard, didn't prepare for it either, just took it. Ended up with an average of 8. I'm not happy, I could have done better if I had been prepared, I guess, but 8 is still VERY good (at least it says so on the paper :p: ). However, most ppl don't find it as easy, I had English LK and 15 points at it.
    Your English sounds very decent, achieving a score that would meet uni requirements shouldn't be a proble. I do, however, wonder why you're all leaving applying until the very last minute here. We're pretty close to the deadline already. Hurry :p: !!!

Oh and I didn't have to predict grades as I applied after I graduated. I guess you should just predict the highest mark you think you could possibly achieve and then if you don't make it - you don't make it, but if you do - good

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.