Fair decisions? Watch

trihhoang
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Well I was replying to a post made earlier this morning (The offer I am amazed with - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t183944.html)
I'll quote what I said..so I don't have to repeat myself.
This post was made by a person who got an offer he did not expect to get. The course requires high grades but his expected was extremely low.

The only reason to explain is this.
University wants money. They want to accept as many international students as they can.
International kids pay 3 times more than UK students. Remember standard cost to go to uni for uk kids are around 3000 quid. Where in some universities, international kid pay more than 12k quid excluding 6k living cost.
Think if you are an admin from a uni..would you want to offer a place for someone who is willing to pay alot more to study at your skol or rather accept someone who pays less?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not necessarily. Sometimes, if you have a great PS and reference they'll accept you with lower grades. Or relevant work experience, lots of enthusiasm, that kind of thing!

--------------

They've still got to get the grades!
trihhoang
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
That's true.
subterfuge
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was under the impression that although UK students themselves pay less, the rest of the fees are paid by the goverment...

If thats right then the money the university gets in total from an international student wont differ greatly from a UK student.
Bdarnell
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Your line of thinking doesn't work out. UK and EU students pay less because their education is subsidised by the UK government. International Students pay much more for the education, supposedly the real price of a 3 year education. Since the UK student's education is subsidised, the government can restrict the admissions process and stipulate certain quotas. Unis like int'l students since the student is obviously paying the true price and subsequently the uni probably has much more freedom in allocating funds generated by overseas students.

If only the UK government played a smaller, yet still important role in higher education. There was a great article in the Economist a couple months ago.
kateykat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe he got the offers because he's generally very good at the subject he wants to study?

I don't think it's fair of people on here to start accusing universities of handing out offers just because they want money. Grades really aren't everything and a lot of the time they are probably not representative of someone's true ability. If you have straight A grades and the personality of a wet fish then you're not going to get very far. I wish some people would stop acting so pompous and actually realise this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (83)
25.86%
No (238)
74.14%

Watched Threads