Turn on thread page Beta

What are the advantages of Student Exchange Programs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When uni students get an opportunity to study abroad for a semester or two, they are said to gain an international experience in higher studies. Does this point of Student Exchange Program make any difference in enhancing one's CV and impress employers after graduation?

I'm currently studying in my home country and hopefully going to be enrolled in an Australian uni next year (via Malaysia, i.e. Years 1 & 2 in Malaysia branch campus and Year 3 & 4 in Australia campus). So I'll be experiencing the three worlds (Bangladesh, Malaysia, and Australia). And if I can do well in exams and can maintain a higher credit average, I can get an opportunity to study in University of Surrey(UK) for one or two semesters (in Year 3 pro'ly) as part of Student Exchange Programme. If that can be possible for me, then I can experience the UK uni education too. So what I want to know here is whether it is going to make any difference to my 4-yr undergrad qualification if I can manage to study in 3 or 4 different places of the world?

Besides gaining international experiences, what other advantages can you think of from a Student Exchange Program?

Cheers,
    Ashique

ReputationRep:
    When we got "the talk" recently from the international office about going on an exchange year abroad, aside from the benefits you already mentioned their big selling point was the personal experience aspect. Most people would pick a country they'd love to go to, rather than being sent somewhere so it's more about having a year long semi vacation in a place you've wanted to go to for ages.

The other selling point they had was they reckoned it impressed employers on your CV (certainly would never do your CV any harm anyway) and it may be beneficial to your long term plans if you intended to move abroad again after you completed uni. You'll be globetrotting plenty throughout your uni career already by the sounds of it so unless your ultimate plan was perhaps to move to Europe, you wouldn't be at any disadvantage in your home country I wouldn't think by not doing it.

ReputationRep:
    thanx Tarts_n_Vicars for your info.

ReputationRep:
    i'd be carefull you don't go to too many places, i would have thought one or two would be enough.

If you go to 4 different uni's you might not ever "get into" one of them.

ReputationRep:
    You can shag someone and bugger off without worrying they will cause you trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Well... the Australian uni is finally going to award me the degree if I study Year 1&2 in Malaysia (branch campus), Year 3 in UK (partner uni) and Year 4 in Australia (main campus).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bangkok_Tom)
    You can shag someone and bugger off without worrying they will cause you trouble.
    useful thing to rememeber!

ps: shouldn't this be in the international study section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianthead)
    ps: shouldn't this be in the international study section?
    It shouldn't be in the international section coz I want to study in UK as part of an exchange programme and so I posted it here to know your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like a great idea to me!
    the only problem is that you might seem like you want to keep dashing from one country to another and employer might want someone who settles in for a couple of years. not saying you can't settle in one country, but it might seem otherwise

ReputationRep:
    oh i c... initially i want to work in Australia. Getting employed there (as an Engineer) is quite easy (with Australian qualification) coz the country is in shortage of qualified young Engineers. Later on, if I find it possible to do an MSc in UK then I might try to work in the West as well.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.