The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it's not too late at all. this is when a lot of people are applying, the only deadline you've missed is "eary admissions" which means that you are only applying to that one university.

to apply with normal applications(you can apply to as many as you want), go to the uni's website, find the international students thing and there should be a section explaining how to apply, you can either do it online or by paper.

good luck!
It's still possible to apply, but keep in mind the majority of deadlines are in January... so you'll have quite a bit of work to do in a short space of time. If you are truly serious about applying, then get cracking! (The deadlines might be different for international students, but I doubt it...) One question: are you prepared to pay the 20,000 pounds/year? Studying in the US is extremely expensive!

One problem you might face is the whether or not the schools will take your qualifications. Some might require all international students to take the SAT, and unfortunately, if you haven't taken the SAT yet, you will not be able to register in time to apply to US schools.

So, first step:
Go to the websites of the Ivy Leauge unis and see what requirements they need from British students, or if you can't find the info on the website, email them directly. The Ivy Leauges are: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, and Cornell. Each school will have a different policy, so it is important to find school specific information!

Also, I might be able to suggest some other schools in the US, if you give me some more information about what you are looking for. There are equally prestigious schools that might want to look into (Stanford, Duke, Amherst, ect).

Any other questions at all... please ask. I'm a mine of information!
Reply 3
you are a legend, yes my parents are willing to fund me. I am mainly looking to study history/political science, and then maybe move into law later. I have not taken SAT's so im pretty screwed!
Reply 4
TBH Londonboyl, with deadline of Jan 1st for most unis there just isn't enough time to sort out essays, references, SATs and the application forms. If you really want to do it then yes, you could try to persuade college to let you send in SATs scores late (although i have NO idea how they would take this) but even then you are limiting the amount of prep time you will have.
Reply 5
For most of the Ivy League unis, the deadline is in December (Generally Dec 15 - already passed) or January. I suppose if you really work hard at the essays and all you can have them done, but I dunno if your school can prepare your transcript (all grades since Year 10!) and write your references over Christmas. Also while some unis accept January SAT scores, you will not be able to site SAT and SAT2 on the same day. So your application will not have one set of test grades. (i'm assuming you haven't done SAT or SAT2). Check on the websites of thesee universities to see what they need and by when.
At this point you pretty much have to rule out any school that requires you to take the SAT. Some schools do not require international students to take the SAT (your A-levels will be more than enough), but again you have to figure out what schools these are. I don't think the Ivy Leauge is your best bet right now.

Some schools like Bowdoin, Colby, and Bates (all in Maine) make SAT testing optional for ALL applicants (they won't count not taking the SAT against you). Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin are all excellent schools and very selective and highly regarded, but admittedly they don't have the name recognition of an Ivy League. But these schools are what we would call a liberal arts college, and although the arrogant people attending Ivy Leagues would say otherwise, I'll let you in on a little secret... these schools will give you a FAR superior education than any Ivy League school. This is because they are focused solely on undergrads, and really care about students... you form meaningful bonds with your professors and they care about you. Classes are never taught by grad students (the ivy's are known for having huge lectures taught by TAs) and are maybe tops 30 students. If you are smart enough to realize Harvard isn't the only good school in the US, please consider Colby, Bates, or Bowdoin. Also, you won't find slackers at these schools; everyone is academically qualified and bright... these schools can be picky... they accept less than 30% of their applicant pool. I'm sure all would be truly excellent for history.

Below (linked) are the rankings for US schools, which will give you an idea of what are good schools. They are divided into two sections: universities and liberal arts colleges. Personally, I'd go for liberal arts colleges because you will get a much better education, and if you are shelling out big bucks to come to the US, you might as well get your money's worth. Keep in mind these rankings should only serve as a starting point, and are not the end all.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/libartco/tier1/t1libartco_brief.php
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php
Reply 7
Yea..you definitly won't have enough time to get all your references/sats. Even if you do...you gotta sit down and write like 5 different essays for the different app forms (assuming you wanna apply to 5 ivy league shcools).
Reply 8
Basically you're too late for this year.

The deadline for most elite schools is december 15 - jan 1st regular admission, and you would need to have done (at the latest) the december third sat and (at latest) do the sat IIs in january.
Not only this but you'd need to get school references sorted out, which (even if you had the sats )there isn't a whole lot of time for now.

The sat is alot more work than people expect (largely as you don't have to simply do well, but score around 90%).
However, if you're willing to take a year out you could spend the next few months working on the sat(s) and apply for early admission/regular admission after the summer; plus you'd have a great chance to gain some extra-curricular application boosting fun!
It is very late. The deadline is looming and you will have to convince your preferred Ivies to accept your January SATs. I am sure, they will also be aware that your last minute application was a knee-jerk response to your Oxbridge failure.
With the Christmas Holidays in full swing, it will be extremely difficult to get all your references e.t.c. Many of your teachers will be on holiday and it will be hard to contact them. Even if you manage to contact them, the last thing they will want to do, is write a load of references and get every grade you have ever received since grade 10, on a transcript. You will also have a load of essays to write. This will not be an easy task, considering you already have a lot to do. In addition, the other students who you will be competing against have already had a while to plan, write and edit their essays and references.

Now I am not going to give you the, “there are other good universities in the UK, apart from Oxbridge”, because there is only one Oxbridge (or should that be 2 :smile: ). In terms of reputation, Oxbridge is leagues above any other university in the UK;
If you tell any idiot, anywhere in the world, that you go to Oxford or Cambridge, they will be impressed. If you tell them you go to Imperial, UCL, LSE, Warwick e.t.c. they will have a somewhat disinterested look on their face.

In my opinion, I would take a gap year, and reapply to Oxford (I did not get my Oxford place and may do this, I know quite a few people who got into Oxford like this) and the Ivies during my Gap year. Work really hard, get stunning A-levels and really good SATs and plan an awesome gap year.
Second option, go to your second choice (with stunning A-levels and SATs) work very hard for the first year (miss out on all the fun) and then apply to the Ivies under the transfer scheme.

This sounds harsh, But I think it would yield a much better result in the long term :smile: .

--------------

I wish you the best of luck in your decision
Reply 10
legend!
magna cum laude

In my opinion, I would take a gap year, and reapply to Oxford (I did not get my Oxford place and may do this, I know quite a few people who got into Oxford like this) and the Ivies during my Gap year. Work really hard, get stunning A-levels and really good SATs and plan an awesome gap year.
Second option, go to your second choice (with stunning A-levels and SATs) work very hard for the first year (miss out on all the fun) and then apply to the Ivies under the transfer scheme.

Trust me, If you get the grades this could really work for you. I know loads of people who have done this, both for the UK and the US. Universities do not like "gambling", once you have the grades, you will no longer be a "gamble", plus you have loads of time to work on your submitted work and your essays, you could make the work spectacular. Feel free to PM me if you would like to carry on this discussion.
Reply 12
I am in the same situation.

But reapplying is kind of taking a risk, isnt it?I mean who knows how the tutors there select ppl?Eventhough you try it twice.

Would anyone explain taking a gap year and reapply unis next yr in details?I will be great thankful for that.
Hay Hay

Firstly apply to the US now and every decent Ivy will realize your application is a knee-jerk reaction to your Oxbridge failure. You will also have to contact your teachers, get your references and grade transcripts for the past 4/5 years, this is no easy task as the Christmas holiday is in full swing. You will also have to convince your US universities to accept your Jan SATs (will not be easy, they do not like to gamble). You will also have to write essays, which your competitors have already had time to plan, write and edit their essays. If you apply now, you will only end up looking like a capricious fool and it will be really hard to get in. That is not a risk that is just idiocy.

If you want to play a safe long term game, here are 2 strategies that are likely to increase your chances.
1. Get awesome A-level Scores and SATs, Take a Gap year and plan it out. Reapply to Oxford and apply to the Ivies, spend loads of time on your essays and submitted work. This way you are a more attractive candidate for the University, they prefer offering places based on real grades rather than speculated grades. I know quite a few people to who got into Oxf and Cam this way. Some even went on to the US.

2. Get Awesome A-levels and SATs and do not take a gap year. Go on to your second choice (Imperial, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham e.t.c.) work very hard for the first year (everyone else will be partying and just aiming to pass, as 1st year does not count to your degree) this way you will get a good reference and then apply to the Ivies via the transfer scheme.

Everything is a risk (nothing is 100% certain), this way you can increase your chances and look better in the long term, life expectancy is growing one has time to make some calculated decisions. Do not apply now, it will just tarnish your reputation. Do you think the tutors at Harvard are fools who do not realise Oxbridge decisions have just come out.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Reply 14
Thanks a lot for your kindness.
If you do not mind me asking, what do you think you are going to do?

Not getting into Oxford was the worst day of my life. It made me sit down and try and think of the long term. As there are no Universities in the UK with reputations like Oxf and Cam, as I said anyone in the world would be impressed. But tell them you go to Imp or Warw e.t.c and they will have no clue.
Reply 16
I just have the worst day today then.

It's quite suprise to see a person like me who wants to impress others(im just taking my guess if its not so i will take it bk),well, and failed.It's not the end of the day though,a lot of competetions left in the rest of my life,I still have chances to wow ppl.

In this case if its too late for applying to US,I would just work hard to be a well-rounded person and get ready for the next challenge.

BTW i still have to be interviewed at Imp.
IMP is great but it does that have that oxbidge factor. It makes me so annoyed that to the "stupid" if you have gone to oxbridge you must be so clever, if you go to IMP, UCL e.t.c. you still have to prove yourself.

I remember after my UCL interveiw, I told someone (an idiot) about it, and all he said was my brother goes to UEL, I thought he said UCL. When I found out he had no idea about UCL, i felt mad. But when I told him about my oxford interview, he said I must be a genius. How random is that, but many people would respond in a similar way.

I will try and go to MIT under the transfer scheme.
Reply 18
Wish you good luck.

I thought UCL is well-known(at least in the UK)before..
UCL is well known, but to many non-educated it means nothing. Those people have still heard of Oxford though.

--------------

I also wish you the best of luck

Latest

Trending

Trending