Turn on thread page Beta

Morale watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is just a sort of thread to see if other people understand where I'm 'coming from'. I'm currently at London Metropolitan Uni, but I have absolutely nil enthusiasm or motivation for any of it. I'm getting all of the work done to a high standard, but I just don't want to be here. It's because before I went to University I didn't really research the quality of Universities, I just knew I wanted to be in London so I picked London Met and stuck with it. Now, after researching, London Met is so far down the league tables and my course is so poor that everything has just turned upside down. I wouldn't mind staying in London, but I've applied for Westminster for 2006 doing the same course. Does anybody think that the change of Universities will boost my morale, and more importantly is it likely that the work will be harder? Don't get me wrong, I know that Westminster isn't exactly a prestigious University, but I do know that it has a better reputation and is higher up the Times newspaper top univerisities table. I had a friend who went from a poor 100-119 band University to Westminster and found the workload considerably increased and became harder, which is exactly what I want. I'm not a UCL/Imperial/Oxford student by any means, I didn't work hard enough at A Level for that, but I know I'm above what I'm doing at London Met, and I know for certain that this University isn't for me. Can anybody relate?

ReputationRep:
    The main reason I would suggest you switch universitys is if the work is too easy and/or you aren't happy. You say it isn't challenging enough and want to be pushed. But, do you know any of your recent essay grades? These will indicate whether or not you can cope with a bigger load. If you can't cope with what you perceive as easy then you wont be able to cope with a bigger workload. I also dont know the answer to whether there is a correlation between a universitys league position and how hard the work will be.
    Obviously, one can use their own common sense and know that there will be a difference between the quantity and quality of the work at met and oxford; but whether there is a substantial difference between the met and westminster I couldnt say.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting high 2:1's mainly. I just think it would be a mental difference, I think I would be mentally more enthusiastic at a Uni which I know isnt bottom of the barrel!

ReputationRep:
    When you say you lack motivation - what exactly do you mean? I could udnerstand if you couldn't be bothered to do the work, but you say you're handing in high quality essays so there must be a degree of motivation on your part, however small. You just seem generally unhappy with your choice of uni and if you really think a change of scenery and going to a "better" uni will make you happier then of course it would be a good move.

I am in a sort of similar position where my uni isn't one of the higher ranked ones and more importantly I hate the uni itself. But I like my course and the only other uni that offers it involves far more lecture hours and coursework which frankly I'm not up for. I can put up with the horrible place I live because it's only for about 6 or 7 months of the year! Also university rankings were never a factor in my making the choice and they're important to you.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.