This discussion is closed.
bazippit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
They are basically just a group of yobs who can't sing, maybe with an exception of 1 or 2 but it hardly makes a difference!
Touchee
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Andrew_S)
Your basic argument about their marketing is why I like them, they're just having a laugh and not taking themselves seriously. You don't see them promoting gun violence and how hard they are, you see them on CDK and other kiddie shows giving interviews. They went bowling with a competition winner, wow they must really think they're street and hard. They don't think they are real hiphop, if you think that then you're foolish, remember they started off as a garage act and then got signed, they didn't work too hard, they know they're not the best, just let them enjoy themselves. Their style has simply matured. To be honest compared to Blues boring generic pop r'n'b, the blazin squad do sound refreshing. What other uk hip hop groups are there, and how many have such polished production?? None ... not saying they're good rappers though, but they are standard, they can rap and they can sing to a certain degree, enough to make a decent record.

Saying you respect Blue made me realise how stupid you must be, yeah they're well not manufactured, idiot.

Clearly your hatred towards the blazin squad is purely aesthetic. You don't like scallies, and thus your whole view of them is shrouded by this discrimanatory stance.

If the Blazin squad said they were the future of British rap, that they were the best rappers out there then you'd have a case to hate them. Unfortunately for you they haven't, so why hate for hate's sake. they're having a laugh, let them.
Let's get one thing straight from the kick off there is loads UK hiphop and all of it is miles better than blazin squd, and you don't need to go to some obscure record shop to get uk hiphop it's available everywhere so look it up and have a listen. BTW I never said Blazin Squad were hiphop anyway...actually if you read your post you did when you said "What other uk hip hop groups are there, and how many have such polished production??".

If they want to be nice and pop fair play to 'em, if badboy costumes and styling were got to go I wouldn't pissed off every time I see them. Yeah I don't like scallies and so what, I consider Mike Skinner the biggest scally yet I love all his music.

And while they maybe having a laugh they share a rung on the ladder of credibility with mr blobby. I respect Blue because even though they don't make the most original groundbreaking music but atleast they can sing.

Yeah I agree blue are a very cliche. The thing is Blue can imitate rnb and get away with it, rnb has a big pop element so it's easy. But if someone wants to imitate hiphop and turn it into pop then they are just asking for barrels of abuse from people like me.

And there have been loads of pop artists who have added hiphop elements to there music and that music has been accepted. But it's been accepted because there was some class to it and the final product was good. Im talking about britney spears, christina aguilera, mariah carey, kylie minogue even posh and scary spice did it with more class than the blazin squad. The final product of the blazin squad experiment just sounds awful.

They haven't matured as artists, their marketing just did a good job so were allocated more money to work with better producers (better producers is relative to what they had before btw).

Sorry if Im and idiot for thinking an artist should have some level of art in there work, it seems pretty reasonable to me.
grace
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yea but they aren't ARTISTS, they are ENTERTAINERS, and anyway if they were soooo horrible then there wouldn't even be a blazin squad cuz they would have died out by now (their music i mean, lol)
so obviously there is demand for the kind of music they produce...watever if its pop hiphop rnb watever, there's demand for it, people are buying their records!

And anyway, it's not just 12 year old girls who like them, wen i saw them at top of the pops there were quite a few 18/19 year old GORGEOUS girls who were going gaga over them as well, so obviously there are others like me out there who just think they are a few silly wannabes who take themselves too seriously but still are pretty entertaining.
Andrew_S
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hattori)
Let's get one thing straight from the kick off there is loads UK hiphop and all of it is miles better than blazin squd, and you don't need to go to some obscure record shop to get uk hiphop it's available everywhere so look it up and have a listen. BTW I never said Blazin Squad were hiphop anyway...actually if you read your post you did when you said "What other uk hip hop groups are there, and how many have such polished production??".

If they want to be nice and pop fair play to 'em, if badboy costumes and styling were got to go I wouldn't pissed off every time I see them. Yeah I don't like scallies and so what, I consider Mike Skinner the biggest scally yet I love all his music.

And while they maybe having a laugh they share a rung on the ladder of credibility with mr blobby. I respect Blue because even though they don't make the most original groundbreaking music but atleast they can sing.

Yeah I agree blue are a very cliche. The thing is Blue can imitate rnb and get away with it, rnb has a big pop element so it's easy. But if someone wants to imitate hiphop and turn it into pop then they are just asking for barrels of abuse from people like me.

And there have been loads of pop artists who have added hiphop elements to there music and that music has been accepted. But it's been accepted because there was some class to it and the final product was good. Im talking about britney spears, christina aguilera, mariah carey, kylie minogue even posh and scary spice did it with more class than the blazin squad. The final product of the blazin squad experiment just sounds awful.

They haven't matured as artists, their marketing just did a good job so were allocated more money to work with better producers (better producers is relative to what they had before btw).

Sorry if Im and idiot for thinking an artist should have some level of art in there work, it seems pretty reasonable to me.
Yeh you missed the point, how many UK hip hop groups are there in such a similar vein... find me some. As for UK hip hop well, I did see Blak twang when he was supporting Xzibit, and I already has his album before that. Oh and yeh I bought Roots manuvas witness single... so yeh I know about UK rap, shame none of it's commercial enough to break through.

They don't think they are bad boys and they are really not styled as bad boys. If they were styled they would look like Blue, but they don't, they wear *****y street labels.

Comparing the blazin squad to Mr Blobby shows once again the level of your intellect. The final blazin squad product is good, if it wasn't they wouldn't be selling records, and they are. LOL when did Kylie do hip hop??? How was scary spices singles good? Victoria Beckham did hip hop well???

Shame that the Blazin squad wrote most of the songs on their first album, and I presume that trend continued with the second one. To me that shows a level of artistry. If I was them, I'd be proud that songs I had written had proven popular.

Blue are absolute shite, bunch of pretty boys except for the fat one. Oh the black one, simon, yeh lets get him to rap, even though he is absolute shite, he's black he might as well. I can just imagine the music mogul saying this in between puffs of his cigar. What original songs have Blue written which were any good? All they seem to do is cover *****y r n b songs and generally make generic pop r n b music.

If blue have a level of art in their work, maybe it's just too abstract and I can't appreciate it. Or maybe it just doesn't exist... The latter is the truth by the way.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by grace)
yea but they aren't ARTISTS, they are ENTERTAINERS, and anyway if they were soooo horrible then there wouldn't even be a blazin squad cuz they would have died out by now (their music i mean, lol)
so obviously there is demand for the kind of music they produce...watever if its pop hiphop rnb watever, there's demand for it, people are buying their records!

And anyway, it's not just 12 year old girls who like them, wen i saw them at top of the pops there were quite a few 18/19 year old GORGEOUS girls who were going gaga over them as well, so obviously there are others like me out there who just think they are a few silly wannabes who take themselves too seriously but still are pretty entertaining.
Well you have a point they aren't artists. But even as entertainers I don't think their music has any quality especially compared to similiar entertainers who tried pop&hiphop mix like some britney spears, posh spice tracks for example.

So if it isn't about there music then it has to be about the rest of there marketing which must add something to the product they put out because like you say they sell records. It's plain and simple for me I find them entertaining but I can't understand why so many people buy it.
Blamps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ^mjg^)
wat u all think of them? their new track all 4 one is amazin. totally buzzin. they mite be gettin there own movie directed by peter jakson called lords ov da bling.
Blazin squad....no word in the English dictionary could emphasis the utter ******s that this band are and the offence that their music has committed against humanity and my poor ear drums
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
Blazin squad....no word in the English dictionary could emphasis the utter ******s that this band are and the offence that their music has committed against humanity and my poor ear drums
is it a crime against humanity to assume that such a group of ******s can even be called a band?
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeh you missed the point, how many UK hip hop groups are there in such a similar vein... find me some. As for UK hip hop well, I did see Blak twang when he was supporting Xzibit, and I already has his album before that. Oh and yeh I bought Roots manuvas witness single... so yeh I know about UK rap, shame none of it's commercial enough to break through.

They don't think they are bad boys and they are really not styled as bad boys. If they were styled they would look like Blue, but they don't, they wear *****y street labels.

Comparing the blazin squad to Mr Blobby shows once again the level of your intellect. The final blazin squad product is good, if it wasn't they wouldn't be selling records, and they are. LOL when did Kylie do hip hop??? How was scary spices singles good? Victoria Beckham did hip hop well???

Shame that the Blazin squad wrote most of the songs on their first album, and I presume that trend continued with the second one. To me that shows a level of artistry. If I was them, I'd be proud that songs I had written had proven popular.

Blue are absolute shite, bunch of pretty boys except for the fat one. Oh the black one, simon, yeh lets get him to rap, even though he is absolute shite, he's black he might as well. I can just imagine the music mogul saying this in between puffs of his cigar. What original songs have Blue written which were any good? All they seem to do is cover *****y r n b songs and generally make generic pop r n b music.

If blue have a level of art in their work, maybe it's just too abstract and I can't appreciate it. Or maybe it just doesn't exist... The latter is the truth by the way.
"Yeh you missed the point, how many UK hip hop groups are there in such a similar vein... find me some." I don't think an UK hip hop groups would want to be anything like blazing squad, just because it's top 40 doesn't make it good.

Kylies new song, victoria had a big thing about not being allowed to release the hiphop style tracks she made with damon dash!! God the victoria thing was in all the papers and the radio there was massive fuss over it.

You may think the final product is good but the music in my opinion and most peoples opinion is rubbish. I don't even think the final product is good and really can't see why anyone else would.

Im all for blazin squad releasing songs they wrote but that doesn't make them good.

I don't know why the hell im defending blue (lesser of two evils I guess)....but...Blue can sing, they look good, they have personalities they do good covers.

Do you think the moguls weren't sitting around thinking "hmm...this hiphop stuff is selling well...let's make it pop...round up five...no make that 20 odd boys for that so solidish thing, yeah we need a crew of em...keep em scruffy for that "street" edge...make sure you get a black one too".

LOL... they are styled! Just not in the same way as blue, it's a different style that they are after! Just look at the way big rnb stars dress compared to rappers! You fall for the whole thing mate.

You think Blue are different to Blazin Squad, you think that blazin squad are real, that they are authentic. That's what the marketing team want you to think! You fell for it!!

I feel bad now, Im sorry I had to tell it to you. I feel like I just told someone that Santa Claus isn't real. Well at least you might get more into the genuine uk hiphop.
Andrew_S
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"Yeh you missed the point, how many UK hip hop groups are there in such a similar vein... find me some." I don't think an UK hip hop groups would want to be anything like blazing squad, just because it's top 40 doesn't make it good.

Kylies new song, victoria had a big thing about not being allowed to release the hiphop style tracks she made with damon dash!! God the victoria thing was in all the papers and the radio there was massive fuss over it.

You may think the final product is good but the music in my opinion and most peoples opinion is rubbish. I don't even think the final product is good and really can't see why anyone else would.

Im all for blazin squad releasing songs they wrote but that doesn't make them good.

I don't know why the hell im defending blue (lesser of two evils I guess)....but...Blue can sing, they look good, they have personalities they do good covers.

Do you think the moguls weren't sitting around thinking "hmm...this hiphop stuff is selling well...let's make it pop...round up five...no make that 20 odd boys for that so solidish thing, yeah we need a crew of em...keep em scruffy for that "street" edge...make sure you get a black one too".

LOL... they are styled! Just not in the same way as blue, it's a different style that they are after! Just look at the way big rnb stars dress compared to rappers! You fall for the whole thing mate.

You think Blue are different to Blazin Squad, you think that blazin squad are real, that they are authentic. That's what the marketing team want you to think! You fell for it!!

I feel bad now, Im sorry I had to tell it to you. I feel like I just told someone that Santa Claus isn't real. Well at least you might get more into the genuine uk hiphop.
Yeh , good point, yeh great in fact, really clever, brilliant!!...Oh but the Blazin squad aren't real?? I thought they were fictional, cartoon characters in fact yeh that's right. Absolute genius. Do the Blazin squad look as well styled as hip hop stars, no, they don't even looked well dressed.

The blazin squad were not manufactured though, don't you understand?? They made an underground record and then got signed, they chose to redo crossroads, it wasn't as if they didn't know each other and were simply like steps or westlife, or blue in fact. I respect the fact that the blazin squad have made it with their limited ability and I don't feel the need to **** them off for making it.

I don't know if it's just the fact these absolute wallies have made it big that annoys you, because if that's it, you seriously need to get a life. I don't like the lads, I just think fair do's to them, they've done well for themselves.

If the final product wasnt good it wouldnt be selling full stop. Hte band themselves aren't good looking enough to maintain a fanbase without having a degree of talent involved. I haven't been fooled by them or their marketing team, clearly if you think Blue are good musically, then you have no taste in music. I don't think the blazin squad make great records, but they suffice, and they serve a market that wants the stuff as do blue.

You really are thick aren't you, Victoria Beckham has never made a good hip hop song which was the point you were trying to make, in fact she's never made a good song.

How many UK rap groups to the extent of the blazin squad are there? find me some, make some comparisons with other UK hip hop groups, because it does seem they have their own niche in the market. Marketing and polished production can only go so far, they must be doing something right if their singles seem to always go top ten.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeh , good point, yeh great in fact, really clever, brilliant!!...Oh but the Blazin squad aren't real?? I thought they were fictional, cartoon characters in fact yeh that's right. Absolute genius. Do the Blazin squad look as well styled as hip hop stars, no, they don't even looked well dressed.

The blazin squad were not manufactured though, don't you understand?? They made an underground record and then got signed, they chose to redo crossroads, it wasn't as if they didn't know each other and were simply like steps or westlife, or blue in fact. I respect the fact that the blazin squad have made it with their limited ability and I don't feel the need to **** them off for making it.

I don't know if it's just the fact these absolute wallies have made it big that annoys you, because if that's it, you seriously need to get a life. I don't like the lads, I just think fair do's to them, they've done well for themselves.

If the final product wasnt good it wouldnt be selling full stop. Hte band themselves aren't good looking enough to maintain a fanbase without having a degree of talent involved. I haven't been fooled by them or their marketing team, clearly if you think Blue are good musically, then you have no taste in music. I don't think the blazin squad make great records, but they suffice, and they serve a market that wants the stuff as do blue.

You really are thick aren't you, Victoria Beckham has never made a good hip hop song which was the point you were trying to make, in fact she's never made a good song.

How many UK rap groups to the extent of the blazin squad are there? find me some, make some comparisons with other UK hip hop groups, because it does seem they have their own niche in the market. Marketing and polished production can only go so far, they must be doing something right if their singles seem to always go top ten.
I don't know why you always have to call me stupid?? We're having a discussion on a forum, you should be pleased that I've taken the time to reply to what you've said. Similar to how I was pleased you made a comment that I wanted to respond to. Now even though we don't agree, and for whatever reason that is, I don't think anything I said deserves childish insults. I didn't bother about getting annoyed when you first called me stupid and idiotic just because we didn't agree on a matter of opinion but you haven't stopped. I had a little swipe at you in my last post out of frustration but now I'm asking you to grow up a little bit and take part in a sensible discussion. I don't think you would speak to someone like that if you were on the phone or face to face so don't do it just because you're on the internet.

I take that as sarcasm when you say I think they're cartoon characters.

No blazing squad isn't as well styled as rappers, mainly because rappers have style.

Blazing Squad aren't manufactured in the sense that they were formed in a manufactured way. However, they were picked up by the same people who manufacture bands, their music is marketed hard and they are used to fill a certain niche in the market. The blazin squad loose alot of creative control, so even though they may have got the gig through their underground music they don't make music in the spirit of "the underground" anymore. You seem to think that their credibility comes from their underground roots, but any underground spirited group would walk out of their gig if they were told they had to dance like a boyband.

I don't care how succesful the band is, I'm not jealous. I just think they are rubbish.

I don't think Blue are good musically, it's not as if they are one of my favs, I don't even know the band further than the bit's i read in the papers. But I think their releases are much better than anything by Blazing Squad.

Same goes for Victoria Beckham, not good songs but still better than Blazin Squad. And the hiphop/ pop divide was bridged much more convincingly which was the point I was trying to make.

"How many UK rap groups to the extent of the blazin squad are there?"
What do you mean, I'm guessing you're talking sales. I'd say exactly zero, none of them have achieved the same sales success as the blazin squad. But who cares, I think if you asked any of the Uk rap groups they wouldn't even care they just want to do their thing and enjoy making music. They would do better if they had marketing, notice there is a difference between support from marketing and loosing all credibility and creative control for the sake of marketing.

There singles do well because of mostly the marketing and the fact the appeal to the right market segment. But that still does'nt mean that there music is any good, and you agree that they don't have much talent and their records only suffice so marketing must get them there.

It might come down to the fact that most people like pop and aren't massively into music and so not everyone is going to love underground hiphop which is really the whole of UK hiphop. Maybe the blazing squad is just about all the hip hop the average record buying person can take, ie no more than funny accents and the costume. Even the US hiphop has become diluted to achieve more sales but it's no way near blazin squad, and US hiphop is still good.

You seem to think it's ok for them to be sellouts and have "limited ability" as long as they are nice people (makes you sound like you're one of their mums ). Well I'm a fan of good music, so I won't just put up with the blazing squad everywhere because are nice people the fact is I think they are awful and most people would agree.

Because my taste in music was questioned I would now like to point out that I'm definetly not a fan of britney spears (toxic is great though), the spice girls or blue...kylie's alright though I like hiphop (basically everything from dj shadow, to 50cent, to missy), drum and bass (adam f, photek, dieselboy), 60's 70's stuff soul funky stuff, anything that's good really.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I cant believe some of you guys have gone into detail about 'blazin squad' and written paragrahs on them.

They are shithouse. Thats all that needs to be said.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
kill them
They are a slightly tamer version of the So Solid Crew for the younglings intended to make lots of money for record company etc.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bazippit)
They are a slightly tamer version of the So Solid Crew for the younglings intended to make lots of money for record company etc.
...and shithouse.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I cant believe some of you guys have gone into detail about 'blazin squad' and written paragrahs on them.

They are shithouse. Thats all that needs to be said.
you're far too succinct

i just have to really make the point, they are that bad.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
...and shithouse.
Seconded
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
you're far too succinct

i just have to really make the point, they are that bad.
Congratulations. Someone else speaks the truth
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I find it quite amusing that townies think of these 'blazin squad' and 'so solid crew' as their idols.

You have to wonder how thick these people really are.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Squad/Crew - both indicative of a bunch of useless nobodies, with no talent (or very little), that think having a big group makes them look tough with street cred - more like a bunch of pathetic twerps readying themselves for a pre-pubescent disco at the local school god dammit
chatty gal
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ^mjg^)
wat u all think of them? their new track all 4 one is amazin. totally buzzin. they mite be gettin there own movie directed by peter jakson called lords ov da bling.
i tink they r good they r all so fyne there new song iz gr8
Nicci_babe
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ^mjg^)
I met them at thorpe park lasy summer and they were totally rude to fans (i do not include my self in that title) they were escorted from ride to ride behind the scenes staying well away from'fans' and not singing any thing for them they also seem to think that they have developed ledgend status over night. they are not and will never be hip hop stars.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (210)
42.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.31%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (197)
40.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.63%

Watched Threads