Car at Uni..worth it?! Watch

girlpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hello!

I'm currently learning to drive, and im hoping to pass my test early next year.

I was going to buy a car and take it to Uni but a few people have said that its too expensive and if i want to come home i may as well just get the train or one of my family will pick me up.

How many of you recommend taking a car or shall i wait to buy a car after I finish Uni?

Shiv x
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would say dont bother, it is kinda expensive, insurance, petrol, mot etc etc. Ive got one and im at Uni but its not too bad for me because i live at home
makeshiftwings
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I brought one to uni with me, it is immensely expensive, I'd consider how much you need it.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Depends if your uni runs a free bus service, or if you end up living close to campus, which is very likely.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by girlpants)
hello!

I'm currently learning to drive, and im hoping to pass my test early next year.

I was going to buy a car and take it to Uni but a few people have said that its too expensive and if i want to come home i may as well just get the train or one of my family will pick me up.

How many of you recommend taking a car or shall i wait to buy a car after I finish Uni?

Shiv x
Don't buy a car for Uni, you'll use it much less than you'll think. Also, people will end up taking advantage of you asking for lifts here and there and you'll probably end up being the taxi for your group of friends. Plus, petrol, insurance, etc are all cery expensive and there are plenty of better things to spend your money on at University. Anyhows, I'd wait till you finish Uni before you buy a car. Hope that this helps.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My car comes to uni with me....how else would I get my shopping home from Sainsburys?? :p:
BiscuitFuelled
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My car is at uni with me - It's great for doing the shopping, and I only have to put in about £10 of petrol a week, if I stay in town. It also means I can get out of Glasgow when I want, which is great when life in the city starts to do your head in...

If you can afford it, having a car kicks ass.
Fleece
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You don't need a car for anything.
There's public transport and if you're that concerned about shopping, order online or get a taxi home. Will be a fraction of the cost of a car : parking, insurance, petrol. road tax etc etc etc.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you live in a big city its probably not worth it, most people know I left their car at work. A lot of halls in Manchester for example charge you £5 a day to park you car. Then the traffic is so bad you will have no fun driving.
devilgirl999
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i use my car for shopping, going home and just trips away its just dead simple rather than messing about with train times
heminder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i don't see the point...
unless you absolutely hate walking with a passion... :rolleyes:

i plan to start driving after i graduate...
TW-04
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I came to the conclusion it's not worth it. I mean I'm learning to drive but when I pass I don't think I'll buy one till after uni as I'll probably be living there anyway and as I won't be using it - it'll just sit at home for 3/4 years getting old and depreciating in value.
supercat
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm learning to drive too and I really want a car; on the other hand there probably isn't much point in getting one. I do think there are benefits to having a car at uni because it enables even more independence, but at the same time it's incredibly expensive and I think there are too many disadvantages.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Public transport is just a joke, especially in the south-west. A car is pretty much a must IMO.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If money is no object - go for it. Of course it's expensive to run one but if you have the money then that's not a problem. It would be tonnes easier for getting around, doing shopping, going home etc.

As someone else said though, you would most likely be plagued by people asking for lifts here there and everywhere but you could always get a chinese delivery job in the evenings to subsidise it lol
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it depends on where you are going and where you are living. you shouldn't but one just cause you have a license. i have a car, had one before i started. i use it a lot as well, and even though it is a little expensive it is worth it. but like i said it depends on your situation.
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't really need one at Bangor because most things are within walknig distance.

I have had my car with me for the past few weeks though, because I have needed to go home quite frequently. But I have not used it at uni.

It really does depend on where you are.
girlpants
Rep:
?
I think most things are at walking distance at Coventry, Im just worried that I'll pass my test, not get a car and then after 3 years of Uni, forget how to drive :rolleyes: Thats what happened to my mum...

My dad says its not worth it, especially at £10 for a parking permit PER WEEK! I'll be at Uni for 44 weeks thats like... *does the maths* £440!! :eek: not including all those things that someone else said like petrol, insurance etc...

But then having a car wud be soo cool... eek... so confuzzled!
sexysax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It is £10 at Bangor for the whole year! You won't forget to drive, just go for a run in it when you are back home for weekends or hols etc. You will be fine!
girlpants
Rep:
?
lol bargain! so you think still buy a car but just leave it at home?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (77)
29.96%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.2%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.84%

Watched Threads