The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm at Sussex (just outside Brighton) and have my car with me at uni. It's good for going to the supermarket and cuts about an hour off the journey home (to London). I don't use it for anything else really as parking in Brighton is a nightmare and very costly. Generally, it's not really worth having a car at uni - most universities will provide pretty decent transport to mainline stations and town centres at minimal cost (unless you're in Brighton!! - nearly 3 quid for a day return on the bus!)
Reply 21
do people bug you for lifts?
Taking a car to uni can have a lot of advantages such as independence, easier to travel home for weekends, shopping etc.

I went to visit my mate a few months ago who goes to Nottingham Uni and lives in Lenton which is the main student area. I just couldn't believe how many students own cars (literally EVERYONE at Nottingham Uni brings their cars), and I'm not talking about old-banger bone shakers, I'm talking about cars such as brand new Polo's, Clio's. I've even saw students driving BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes's :eek: (no, I'm not joking :eek: ). Where on earth do these people get the money from?
lol I wonder the exact same thing Rock! The parking bays in the halls here are full of Golfs, Meganes etc....not a £500 1992 fiesta in sight!

Permits here are about £90 for the year which includes parking in halls and on campus. I was going to get a car after xmas (am learning to drive) but as soon as I mentioned it in passing to one particular flatmate (see my other post on the borrower and you'll know what I mean lol) her eyes lit up and she started planning where "we" could go which in reality was where I could take her...

I'm sure it wouldn't happen all the time but I can see it happening quite a lot y'know.
girlpants
lol bargain! so you think still buy a car but just leave it at home?

borrow mum's car for your occasional driving! if she'll let you :wink: wait a mo, there's insurance.........
Tarts_n_Vicars
lol I wonder the exact same thing Rock! The parking bays in the halls here are full of Golfs, Meganes etc....not a £500 1992 fiesta in sight!

Permits here are about £90 for the year which includes parking in halls and on campus. I was going to get a car after xmas (am learning to drive) but as soon as I mentioned it in passing to one particular flatmate (see my other post on the borrower and you'll know what I mean lol) her eyes lit up and she started planning where "we" could go which in reality was where I could take her...

I'm sure it wouldn't happen all the time but I can see it happening quite a lot y'know.

Which uni do you go to?
Reply 26
Rock 'n' Roll
Where on earth do these people get the money from?

mummy and daddy
Rock 'n' Roll
Which uni do you go to?

Ulster in Northern Ireland :rolleyes:
girlpants
do people bug you for lifts?

No, not really. Most of my friends tag along to the supermarket but that's fine as I'm going anyway.
Reply 29
hallucination
I'm at Sussex (just outside Brighton) and have my car with me at uni. It's good for going to the supermarket and cuts about an hour off the journey home (to London). I don't use it for anything else really as parking in Brighton is a nightmare and very costly. Generally, it's not really worth having a car at uni - most universities will provide pretty decent transport to mainline stations and town centres at minimal cost (unless you're in Brighton!! - nearly 3 quid for a day return on the bus!)

But only £1.60 return on the train :rolleyes:

I'd say it's not worth it, with insurance, tax and petrol it is going to cost way more than public transport unless you plan on doing a lot of long journeys...booking in advance on trains can get cheap tickets anyway.
Reply 30
Depends on the uni obviously but I doubt it is worth it. Just get the bus/train/bike like everyone else!
Reply 31
Rock 'n' Roll
Taking a car to uni can have a lot of advantages such as independence, easier to travel home for weekends, shopping etc.

I went to visit my mate a few months ago who goes to Nottingham Uni and lives in Lenton which is the main student area. I just couldn't believe how many students own cars (literally EVERYONE at Nottingham Uni brings their cars), and I'm not talking about old-banger bone shakers, I'm talking about cars such as brand new Polo's, Clio's. I've even saw students driving BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes's :eek: (no, I'm not joking :eek: ). Where on earth do these people get the money from?

Ive seen a student driving a huge Audi (A4 i think), quite new aswell. Couldnt beleive it lol. Ive seen a TVR driving around too and the one day i saw it drive into the student parking area! :eek:
id like a car with me at uni, but the cost of insurance is ridiculous! its daylight robbery...I fail to see how im deemed less safe on the road than the 75+ dodderers you see moving along slowly...its stupid.

SO, i wouldent recommend getting a car unless you have loads of cash, i certainly have enjoyed spending money on having fun that petrol and road tax.
I am proberbly taking my car to university when I go in september. I already have one and I cant see the point in selling it - wont get a car in better condition - and it will give me my independence to visit people etc whenever I want.
Reply 34
Rooftopcowboy
I fail to see how im deemed less safe on the road than the 75+ dodderers you see moving along slowly...its stupid.

I have to agree with you on that.
It depends which uni you are going to.

* How far is it away from where you live?
* How often are you planning to come home?
* How much would it cost to drive home as opposed to getting there by public transport?
* How much will you need to pay just to keep your car at uni?
* Is it a campus university or a city university?
* How easy will it be to park?
* Will you be strong enough to say no to people who want to use you for lifts everywhere?
* What is the public transport like where you will be?

These are questions only you (or students currently at the uni) can answer.
Reply 36
Do people bug you for lifts??

No not really, but people I know get pissed off when I don't want to drive!! Example. Friend asked if I'd give her a lift from uni to the train station (15 minute walk). I said no (may have been a bit harsh but it would've been earlyish in the morning). She then got very angry with me which I thought was a bit unfair!!

On the plus side though it has been handy to have a car to get out and about a bit. I wouldn't agree with whoever it was that said a car is essential in the southwest by a long way but it is nice to have one especially in the summer as the beaches are great.

Last year parking in halls was £25 the year (or free on the road nearby!) and this year it's £12 a year from Devon CC. Not bad really!
Cortez
Ive seen a student driving a huge Audi (A4 i think), quite new aswell. Couldnt beleive it lol. Ive seen a TVR driving around too and the one day i saw it drive into the student parking area! :eek:

Which uni do you go to?
Reply 38
yeah....at nottingham i knew a guy with an Audi, a Merc, a BMW and a Jag on rotation...
Abbie
But only £1.60 return on the train :rolleyes:

I'd say it's not worth it, with insurance, tax and petrol it is going to cost way more than public transport unless you plan on doing a lot of long journeys...booking in advance on trains can get cheap tickets anyway.

Yep true...but it's all the way at the top of campus :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending