attitudes towards homosexuality Watch

Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
sorry for being sharp 2 posts ago. I can't sleep, I'm freezing cold and I have to do work tomorrow
homoterror
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrian)
Unlike race, homosexuality is not 100% pre born..
I happen to be inclined to agree but niether of us have any real insight for knowing this, a bit of a dodgy thing to say!
Person
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I meant to say that it's 100% pre born as in no one knows therefore it's not 100%. I told you it was late! And I'm only wearing underwear so am *very* cold!
Person
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anyway, I don't care if someone is gay or not. It's irrelevant whether they choose to be gay or were born gay, who are we to judge?
Exactly
Zoecb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrian)
If we all gave in to our instincts we would be shagging anything.
Go for it - as long as it's legal and consensual it's not a problem.
Person
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Go for it - as long as it's legal and consensual it's not a problem.
Where would that lead families? Ripped apart.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not really. The general pattern is that people are free to do that for a period in their lives and then if they so wish, they "settle down" and have a family, generally with one other person and maybe with children, it's up to them.

There's my life planned out ^

The point is, if people want to have a family - which tends to be a stable monogomous relationship, with or without children, they will make themselves one.
Unless people like you try to deny their right to adopt said children that is.
TKR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Iran has executed just a mite more than two teenagers for being homosexual - most organisations put the figyure at around 4000 people since the revolution in the 1970s.

Western Europe and Costal North America are generally tolerant in attitudes and institutions although there is still a lot of homophobia on a personal level and in certain sections of society. As far as gay "rights" are concerned - the battles' pretty much won at least in the UK but that doesn't mean gay people should be complacent.

As for this scale *******s - give me a ****ing break. I'm all for accepting that people can be bisexual, but it's really ****ing offensive to be told by a bunch of pansy emo teenagers that we're all on a "scale of sexuality" and none of us are exclusively gay or straight. Quite apart from the fact that it denies the overwhelming majority of anecdotal evidence (ask any man or woman in the street, I guarantee that minimum 80% will tell you that they are straight or gay, exclusively), Kinsey's study was hopelessly flawed - a tiny sample, and get this; self-selected. Something of a joke, actually. I'm gay, exclusively, I'm not 90% gay and 10% straight. Because I get that Angelina Jolie is hot that doesn't mean I want to **** her - I **** guys - and no one should try to take away my right to categorise myself as gay.

--------------

(Original post by Firebird)
To me it seems strange that you could fancy someone of the same sex and yet still want children, because the act of making the baby isn't something you would ever want to partake in!
Making a baby and bringing one up are entirely different things. Pretty much anyone is biologically capable of making one, I'm skeptical about the ability of just about half the people I meet to bring one up.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Plus the child would also grow up very tolerant of people's differences. I don't think having gay parents would make the child want to be gay; although I hope they wouldn't force their opinions on them - as in, try to persuade them to be gay, like some homophobic people try to persuade their gay kids to be straight - it wouldn't even work but peer pressure is powerful.
I think gay parents would be much more open minded about many things. It definitely wouldn't have a reverse homophobic-parent effect. They would be happy for their children to be whatever sexuality they feel - gay/straight and everything in between - this isn't guaranteed from straight parents.
ice_cube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would say from the people I have met, society is generally accepting of homosexuality, but the media is less so. Most people I have met from various backgrounds and ages don't really have a problem, or at least don't voice it, a start at least.
ruiner
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TKR)
As for this scale *******s - give me a ****ing break. I'm all for accepting that people can be bisexual, but it's really ****ing offensive to be told by a bunch of pansy emo teenagers that we're all on a "scale of sexuality" and none of us are exclusively gay or straight. Quite apart from the fact that it denies the overwhelming majority of anecdotal evidence (ask any man or woman in the street, I guarantee that minimum 80% will tell you that they are straight or gay, exclusively), Kinsey's study was hopelessly flawed - a tiny sample, and get this; self-selected. Something of a joke, actually. I'm gay, exclusively, I'm not 90% gay and 10% straight. Because I get that Angelina Jolie is hot that doesn't mean I want to **** her - I **** guys - and no one should try to take away my right to categorise myself as gay.
Firstly, what's offensive here is being told that I'm a 'pansy emo teenager'. Spare us all the childish name-calling please.

Secondly, we never told you that you were on this scale - only that we believed this scale to be a feasible representation of sexuality - I even backed it up with how I, personally (ie. without previous knowledge of the Kinsey Scale), came to that conclusion. Feel free to accept it or not.

A for the anecdotal evidence, I have already suggested that defining yourself into a box for sexuality can completely remove other possibilities - if I tell myself I'm straight and do not allow myself to even consider homosexuality then if someone 'on the street' asks me about my sexuality I'll say I'm straight.

Finally, no-one said you can't be exclusively gay or straight. The scale has poles too. You can just as easily be on either end as somewhere in the middle - do not assume the distrubution is biologically normal.

Feel free to categorise yourself into whatever box you please.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just because you see yourself as exclusively gay doesn't mean there is no scale. I'm certainly not at either end.

I would want to have a baby with someone I loved because it's an expression of love and commitment. But two gay people can't do that.
You make no sense. Being joined in love and commitment by parenting a child isn't always possible genetically, for many straight couples as well as gay couples. The point is, much as it's nice to be biologically related to your children sometimes it's not possible and adoption comes in.

The whole idea of adoption is that it's the loving and raising the child that counts, not passing on the shape of your nose or whatever.
Esquire
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If we all gave in to our instincts we would be shagging anything
The more the merrier
Person
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Unless people like you try to deny their right to adopt said children that is.
It is not a 'right' to care for other peoples children.
TKR
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ruiner)
Firstly, what's offensive here is being told that I'm a 'pansy emo teenager'. Spare us all the childish name-calling please.

Secondly, we never told you that you were on this scale - only that we believed this scale to be a feasible representation of sexuality - I even backed it up with how I, personally (ie. without previous knowledge of the Kinsey Scale), came to that conclusion. Feel free to accept it or not.
Who the hell are you to speak for this mysterious we? I couldn't even count the number of times some pansy emo teenager has told me that I'm not gay - I'm just at one end of the scale. Frankly, it's *******s. I'm gay, a lot of people I know are gay - they **** boys, or girls. Not both, not a lot of boys and a few girls, or the other way around. Similarly, a lot of people I know are straight - they **** the opposite sex, exclusively - the same goes for the vast majority of people in the world. Finally, I know bisexuals - now they might say they like girls a little more than boys or whatever - they should feel free to express clearly their feelings of sexuality - but no one should presume that the same kind of systme works for everyone else - and like it or not, that is what a lot of pansy, emo teenagers (among other people), do.

You're trying to argue that the definition of sexuality comes before the sexuality itself - which if you ask me is utter *******s, especially with something so innate as to who you're attracted to - this may happen in the minority - but it is that - a minority. You say that it's a fesaible representation of sexuality and act as if it doesn't matter whether or not it is. I disagree completely and think it's wrong - it's my right to say so - and all conscientious people should argue against things they think are incorrect - whether they affect them directly or not.
Zoecb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It wouldn't be an expression of mine and my partner's love for each other if I wasn't the baby's mother or he wasn't the baby's father. I don't think I could love a child that wasn't my own as much as I'd love my own child.
That's really closed minded. I'm sure you'd feel differently if you were infertile.
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What if you (not YOU specifically, just a hypothetical someone) didn't know it wasn't your own child? You'd go along, happily loving it to bits like the dearest thing in the whole wide world, then one day someone tells you it's not yours and BAM! you have to start loving it less. In fact, to make up for having loved it too much all those years, you have to beat it with a big stick to even things out.
Evil-Tuna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If god had wanted us to be gay, he'd have given every male ovaries up their rectum. As it is i dont have those, so homosexuality muxt be wrong. Just like women with careers
Person
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If god had wanted us to be gay, he'd have given every male ovaries up their rectum. As it is i dont have those, so homosexuality muxt be wrong. Just like women with careers
:O Do you have ovaries in your throat may I ask? Or in the palm of your hand?!
Evil-Tuna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (49)
18.28%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (109)
40.67%
Nope, not that interesting (110)
41.04%

Watched Threads