Turn on thread page Beta

Know anything about microphones? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hgj

ReputationRep:
    That is a lapel type microphone, I can't remember why but they are not ideal for vocals for some reason. They have a very narrow pick up which is great for doing voice overs but not so good for vocals as it won't pick up a lot of ambience around the vocals.

You can get half decent vocal mikes for around £25 though, I think Shure do a basic one for that price, Senhesier are another good make for mics.

I am not sure about Audio Technica, in the turntable world they have a reputation for producing cheap cartridges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    That is a lapel type microphone, I can't remember why but they are not ideal for vocals for some reason. They have a very narrow pick up which is great for doing voice overs but not so good for vocals as it won't pick up a lot of ambience around the vocals.

You can get half decent vocal mikes for around £25 though, I think Shure do a basic one for that price, Senhesier are another good make for mics.

I am not sure about Audio Technica, in the turntable world they have a reputation for producing cheap cartridges.
    How is it a lapel type microphone? It's 8 inches long - a bit big to fit on the old lapel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    How is it a lapel type microphone? It's 8 inches long - a bit big to fit on the old lapel!
    Thats the wrong name then, they usualy have batteries in them, its a long time since I studied microphones.

I think it may be a condenser microhpone, we used them at university and they were for voice overs as they had a narrow pick up. The ones with a larger sheild are more suited for vocals.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help!

How about one like this?

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~...00~ID~1156.asp

ReputationRep:
    The Shure SM58 is the best low/mid-priced mic, but THIS is a slightly cheaper, but reasonable alternative. Points to remember though.

• A mic with an on/off switch on it is always favourite
    • Remember you'll need a lead with a connecting plug that will fit your computer (¼ inch jack or mini jack for the computer connection are usual).

ReputationRep:
    You can buy cheap convertors though. Another issue to consider is not all sound cards work with all mics. Although dynamic mics should be fine.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.