The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It depends on which part of the lower leg- hip joint, knee joint, ankle joint, toes etc?!
Reply 2
SamJL
It depends on which part of the lower leg- hip joint, knee joint, ankle joint, toes etc?!

yup - I agree with sam - can't really tell you until we know what joint you're talking about! If you get to chose the joint then I suggest you go with the hip...................as all of those movements can be done at the hip joint............check out an examination and assessment text book - all these will be in there
Reply 3
yeh its the hip joint.i think i no how to do them.iv been practicin on my lil sister.but now i jus cant do medial and lateral rotation on the hip joint.as say if i bend the knee and move it towards the midline it actually moves the hip joint outwards so then this would be lateral wouldnt it?its so hard 2 explain over words!
Reply 4
Khadijah
yeh its the hip joint.i think i no how to do them.iv been practicin on my lil sister.but now i jus cant do medial and lateral rotation on the hip joint.as say if i bend the knee and move it towards the midline it actually moves the hip joint outwards so then this would be lateral wouldnt it?its so hard 2 explain over words!

the hip is a weird one............depending on how you have your patient then turning medially is actually lateral rotation!

The way I usually test this is to get the patient to lay on their back with their hip and knee each bent to 90 degrees. (see attached diagram) and the rotation occurs by askjing them to turn their foot in/outwards (make sense?!)

In this position, turning the foot inwards produces LATERAL rotation, and turning the foot outwards produces MEDIAL rotation..............so its opposite to what you think

hope that makes some kind of sense
Reply 5
yeh thats what i thought.i was getting confused.thanx 4 ya help tho.the diagram was gud!!
Reply 6
Khadijah
yeh thats what i thought.i was getting confused.thanx 4 ya help tho.the diagram was gud!!

my paint skills are great aren't they lol!

Latest