Watch
This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by calumc)
It's funny - I comment on overuse of the word "homephobe", and get repeatedly referred to as one! God, you guys crack me up.
What, even when we've clearly demonstrated that a dislike/contempt for gay people is classed as homophobia, and you've admitted that you dislike gay people? "I don't particularly like them"
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I think her main problem is that she's just a little dim
The other guy was worse, he was going on about how gay people shouldn't be allowed to adopt children, because they were more likely to turn out "camp", but he once came to college in a dress! However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rest of the class, including the teacher, told them both that they were talking crap.

Then there was this guy in history, who said that he didn't have a problem with gay people, except that two men kissing would make him sick. Of course, two girls kissing would turn him on.
He makes me sick.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
He makes me sick.
I was going to get my friend who sat next to me in history last year to come to the leavers party with his boyfriend and give all the idiots a bit of a shock, so to speak.

Then I remember that because he's a lazy **** who ended up repeating his first year, he probably won't be able to come to the leavers party. I'm disapointed to say the least.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I believe I win this one.
You can believe whatever you like dear. Doesn't make it any more true.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Wonderful. Now run and tell mummy.
Is that really the best you can come up with? I'm disapointed in you :mad:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Do you suffer from severe memory loss? Did you not see both of our definitions defined homophobia as a contempt for gay people, something you undeniably have?
medic
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
if you don't like him because you do not think he is a nice person then no you're not homophobic, of course not everyone has to like every single gay person!
However if you don't like him because of his sexuality then you are homophobic... And saying remarks like 'I don't like gay people' suggests that if you heard someone was gay you would dislike them regardless of their personality - this makes you prejudiced and homophobic.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Great. Enjoy it.
Enjoy what? You don't really make a lot of sense...
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by medic)
if you don't like him because you do not think he is a nice person then no you're not homophobic, of course not everyone has to like every single gay person!
However if you don't like him because of his sexuality then you are homophobic... And saying remarks like 'I don't like gay people' suggests that if you heard someone was gay you would dislike them regardless of their personality - this makes you prejudiced and homophobic.
Exactly.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
Enjoy what? You don't really make a lot of sense...
Turkey! Turkey! Turkey!
JRDH
Report 17 years ago
No, do you? Did you forget the part where I said I wasn't homophobic? Lets think about it for a second - who decides this - me or you? Ah yes, me. I decide who and what I like, not you. So kindly, shuttit.

I don't care how you define homophobia, or how some website does. I could define it as having brown hair if I wanted to.

come one people give calumc a break, i know what hes going on about because i have the same sort of idea. Everyone has there own opinions, life would be boring if we didnt.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I don't care how you define homophobia, or how some website does. I could define it as having brown hair if I wanted to.
You probably could. But you'd be wrong. By generally accepted standards, you are are homophobic.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It wasn't supposed to make sense.
Like the same as most of the rest of your posts then...
medic
what do you mean give him a f**king break?

If he was talking in similar derogatory tones about black people or jews then noone would tolerate any of it... The fact is that he is a biggoted ******** who judges people not on their qualities as a human being, but on what sex they choose to sleep with in their own bedroom.

I find calumuric and his ilk extremely offensive, and they should not be allowed to get away with it.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, do you? Did you forget the part where I said I wasn't homophobic? Lets think about it for a second - who decides this - me or you? Ah yes, me. I decide who and what I like, not you. So kindly, shuttit.

Turkey! Turkey! Turkey!

No seriously, society has definitions for various terms, whether those terms are "poodle," "cushion" or "sexalicious." And you come under society's term for homophobic, hence, why everybody's calling you homophobic. Because you are just that, holding contempt for gay people. You don't get to decide that. The dictionary does. It really doesn't matter what you define homophobia as. If you define a spoon as a prehistoric reptilian bird, you're not going to be eating soup with it anytime soon, because a spoon is accepted to be a metallic culinary device.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Great. That didn't make sense either.
Would you like me to find a simpler way to explain it just for you?
medic
is anyone here a forum moderator?

I think what some of the people have been posting here should be regulated, or could you at least put a message saying that this is not the views of the forum...

i have been accused of wanting to do medicine so that i can molest boys - i find this sickening and extremely offensive.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks. An opinion of mine happens to be that the word/phrase "homophobe" is overused. Can't anyone just accept that.

Nobody accepts my opinion, yet they argue I should fully accept gay people's sexuality? Please. Bunch of hypocrits.
No because it's so blindingly obvious you're actually wrong. if somebody tells me a pencil sharpner is actually a type of lettuce, I'm not just going to sit there saying "oh right, if that's what you think then you're right, it's a type of lettuce. I'm so sorry I eve questioned you."
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"Like the same of most of the rest of your posts then..."

Yes, try changing the first 'of' to an 'as'.
Says the person who changed the dictionary definition of a word to suit their argument.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Excuse me? Did you read the post you just replied to?

"An opinion of mine happens to be that the word/phrase "homophobe" is overused. Can't anyone just accept that."

Is CLEARLY correct. How many times has the word been used on this thread! It's obviously overused. Every time you say it, you are demonstrating my point further.
How is it correct? How is it at all correct? The dictionary is so disgustingly clear about the definition, I don't see your confusion. You don't like gay people. You're homophobic. The dictionary says so. The dictionary is *the* authoriative source on the meanings of words.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads