This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by calumc)
Really, where?
When you conveniently abandoned the second line of the definition, which clearly proved you wrong.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Excuse me? Did you read the post you just replied to?

"An opinion of mine happens to be that the word/phrase "homophobe" is overused. Can't anyone just accept that."

Is CLEARLY correct. How many times has the word been used on this thread! It's obviously overused. Every time you say it, you are demonstrating my point further.
It's not overused so long as it's used in the correct context. And with you, it obviously is. Would you say that we should stop calling an apple an apple because the word is overused? No. So why should we stop calling a homophobe a homophobe?
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Because "homophobe" is often used WRONGLY. An apple IS an apple, no question. I am NOT a homophobe, but people repeatedly try and tell me I am. Comprende?
You come on an internet forum and tell us all about how you don't like gay people. That makes you a homophobe. Comprende?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
When did I do this?
"I don't particularly like them"
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I see - and you class this as me telling you "all about how I don't like gay people"?

This is exactly what annoys me.

If I said I "don't particularly like spiders", would there be half a dozen pages of people calling me an arachnophobe? - NO!

Clearly, there is a big difference between simple dislike and hatred/phobia.
Your whole attitude gives the impression of homophobia, especially when you start calling people "hetrophobes" for attacking some quite disgracful homophobic comments. And I don't care how sarcastic you claim you're being.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I see - and you class this as me telling you "all about how I don't like gay people"?

This is exactly what annoys me.

If I said I "don't particularly like spiders", would there be half a dozen pages of people calling me an arachnophobe? - NO!

Clearly, there is a big difference between simple dislike and hatred/phobia.
Anything less than complete indifference is homophobia. If I said "I don't particularly like black people." I'd be a bloody racist. There's no two ways about it, not particularly liking is a dislike. Dislike is quantified homophobia.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I refuse to accept the term 'homophobia'. It was obviously coined by homosexuals to discredit opponents of 'gay rights' and is completely illogical.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
"I don't particularly like them"
lol

busted
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
I refuse to accept the term 'homophobia'. It was blatently coined by homosexuals to discredit opponents of 'gay rights' and is completely illogical.
Zuh? Completely illogical? How can a word be completely illogical?
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't deny that the comments were rather disgraceful, and by no means am I endorsing them, however this (and here I would agree) homophobic post was followed by an equally 'heterophobic' one calling the poster scum. Had this been said of a gay person, they'd have been called a homophobe.
If they were calling the poster "scum" because they were straight, it would have been "hetrophobia" or whatever crap you want to call it. However, they were called scum because of their comments, no other reason. The person who called them scum was probably straight themselves.... it should be simple enough to tell the difference.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Zuh? Completely illogical? How can a word be completely illogical?
The suffix '-phobia' means an irrational fear. This comes from the Greek word for fear. People labelled 'homophobes' aren't afraid of homosexuals, they disagree with homosexuality.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know. However, I am entirely confident that if I called a homosexual "scum" or something to that effect, I would be labelled a "homophobe", which for exactly your reasoning above, is incorrect.
There are just so many things wrong with that.

a.) You wouldn't. People would make a judgement as to whether you were being nasty for homophobic reasons, or for personal reasons. And not label you as homophobic if it were the latter.

b.) Even if they did make bad assumptions, two wrongs doesn't make a right.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The suffix '-phobia' means an irrational fear. This comes from the Greek word for fear. People labelled 'homophobes' aren't afraid of homosexuals, they disagree with homosexuality.
Okay. Agreed, the word has been hijacked and extended to mean something it doesn't. I don't really think that's an issue though, and I think it's perfectly logical to use this extension when describing people who dislike homosexuals, and I certainly don't think it's some campaign by the gay rights lobby.

If anything, a much more sinister term could be used. Now you're just being associated with somebody who's scared of homosexuals. You could be associated with racists, sexists, or nazis with a much more specific term. Homoprejudiced, or similar. [When I say you, I don't mean you personally, I mean a errr 'homophobic' person].
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The suffix '-phobia' means an irrational fear. This comes from the Greek word for fear. People labeled 'homophobes' aren't afraid of homosexuals, they disagree with homosexuality.
Did we not already discuss that the dictionary also lists phobia as a strong "dislike or aversion"?

Not to mention that so many people labeled as homophobes *are* afraid of gay people, some hysterically so.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
hehe, that's funny. That's the exact same definition that it gives on dictionary.com. Except under that one, there's another one.

"A strong fear, dislike, or aversion"
And under that one, there's another one:

-phobia
suff.
An intense, abnormal, or illogical fear of a specified thing: xenophobia.
Since we are talking about '-phobia' as a suffix, I think this definition is the most relevant.

Anyway, it means a dislike or aversion stemming from a fear. For example, somone with a phobia of spiders might squeel at the sight of one. They therefore have an aversion to spiders. The word 'phobia' can't be applied to every dislike or aversion - I can't say I have a phobia of oysters or Tony Blair, just because I have a strong dislike for them.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But "disagreeing with homosexuality", as he said, is not dislike, aversion, prejudice or anything, so clearly doesn't make a person a "homophobe".

The most derogatory terms I have used were that I "didn't particularly like" homosexuals, this being exactly due to me disagreeing with their sexuality. Just like you might "not particluarly like" somebody who mistreats children or animals. It doesn't mean you entirely hate them.
And I don't particularly like black people, but that doesn't make me racist does it?
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
And I don't particularly like black people, but that doesn't make me racist does it?
ROFLMAO!
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But "disagreeing with homosexuality", as he said, is not dislike, aversion, prejudice or anything, so clearly doesn't make a person a "homophobe".

The most derogatory terms I have used were that I "didn't particularly like" homosexuals, this being exactly due to me disagreeing with their sexuality. Just like you might "not particluarly like" somebody who mistreats children or animals. It doesn't mean you entirely hate them.
The difference being that people who mistreat children or animals have done something wrong. What have gay people ever done to you, or anyone?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Here it does, because you dislike them because of the colour of their skin.

"Not particularly liking" a gay person because their sexuality puts you off them is far from the same thing.
How?

The point is, a vague dislike is a prejudice, whether you just find them distasteful, or if you're a practising nazi.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ROFLMAO!
Explain.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (106)
43.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.18%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.07%

Watched Threads