Floor
Laughing
My
Arse
Off

OMFGLOL! U R FUNNY!!!1
Reply 82
calumc
The only prejudice here is disagreeing with their sexuality. I can't help disagreeing with it any more than they can help being it.

Yay, finally, an admission that you are homophobic.
Reply 83
calumc
Nothing, hence I am not a "homophobe".

Their sexuality is enough to "put me off" them slightly, hence I wouldn't say I "particularly liked" them. That doesn't make me homophobic.

They've never done anything to you, but you just don't like them. Um, so what exactly is it you don't like about them being gay?
Reply 84
calumc
For god sake. We've been here already. I am not homophobic. I disagree with homosexuality, that is all. Why can't you accept it for what it is?

But you just said you're prejudiced against gay people. Surely this is a contempt for gay people. Surely this is homosexuality.

If you're agoing to argue with any of that, please demonstrate your logical deconstruction or objection to what I have presented above,
Reply 85
calumc
I disagree with their sexuality. Is that not allowed?

We established that you disagreed with it (a long, long time ago)

I was simply wondering if there was any actual rhyme or reason behind it.
Reply 86
calumc
I disagree with their sexuality. Is that not allowed?

It's allowed. Nobody can force you into beliefs you don't have. But you can't sit there saying "I'm not homophobic," but actually be prejudiced against them.
fishpaste
OMFGLOL! U R FUNNY!!!1

w00t!!!1 i r teh r0x0r!!!!!!111one

(was it not meant to be funny!? It was ironic :confused: )
Reply 88
calumc
In your case, the word 'logic' is contradictory.

I said I disagreed with homosexuality. I did not say I hated gay people or was afraid of them, which is what the oh-so-wonderful dictionary definitions said. Hence I am not homophobic.

Oh no no. The dictionary most definately said contempt. If you're prejudiced against them, then you most certainly have contempt.
Reply 89
Harry Potter
w00t!!!1 i r teh r0x0r!!!!!!111one

(was it not meant to be funny!? It was ironic :confused: )

I don't know, I'm confused.

Time to make an exit, me thinks.

Bye all.
Reply 90
calumc
Here it does, because you dislike them because of the colour of their skin.

"Not particularly liking" a gay person because their sexuality puts you off them is far from the same thing.

This is NOT true. Believe me, you cannot control your sexual orientation, and, as someone's sexual orientation has no effect on you, calumc, disliking someone purely because of their sexuality is classed as prejudice.

I can understand why you may not like gay people who flaunt it in front of you and make out in public, just as it is not nice to see overt displays of public affection from any couple, gay or straight, however to dislike all gay people purely because of their orientation is (and i'm not going to use the word homophobia as you seem to have some problem with it) prejudice and discrimination in the same league as racism and sexism.
Reply 91
What about bisexuality, eh? Bet you're all quiet now.
Reply 92
medic
This is NOT true. Believe me, you cannot control your sexual orientation, and, as someone's sexual orientation has no effect on you, calumc, disliking someone purely because of their sexuality is classed as prejudice.

I can understand why you may not like gay people who flaunt it in front of you and make out in public, just as it is not nice to see overt displays of public affection from any couple, gay or straight, however to dislike all gay people purely because of their orientation is (and i'm not going to use the word homophobia as you seem to have some problem with it) prejudice and discrimination in the same league as racism and sexism.

Firstly, I do not disagree with homosexuality, I think it is natural and support people to be homosexual if they feel that they are.

However, I don't understand why disagreeing with their lifestyle means that it indicates prejudice. A Christian will not agree with a Muslim lifestyle based purely on religeous beliefs. Surely that does not make them prejudiced?

Perhaps the Christian could be said to be prejudiced if he were to disregard a Muslim's character based purely on their being a Muslim. But calumc has never said that he 'dislikes' homosexuals although some statements may have suggested the possibility, and so perhaps it needs to be laid on one or the other side of the line... may I ask, calumc would you be open to a friendship with a homosexual if they in no way imposed their gay lifestyle on you?
I think some people are getting confused by the term prejudice. Prejudice is when you have an irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
To give unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice is known as discrimination.
Reply 94
brighton?
Reply 95
Tifa
Firstly, I do not disagree with homosexuality, I think it is natural and support people to be homosexual if they feel that they are.

However, I don't understand why disagreeing with their lifestyle means that it indicates prejudice. A Christian will not agree with a Muslim lifestyle based purely on religeous beliefs. Surely that does not make them prejudiced?

Perhaps the Christian could be said to be prejudiced if he were to disregard a Muslim's character based purely on their being a Muslim. But calumc has never said that he 'dislikes' homosexuals although some statements may have suggested the possibility, and so perhaps it needs to be laid on one or the other side of the line... may I ask, calumc would you be open to a friendship with a homosexual if they in no way imposed their gay lifestyle on you?

yes but calumc said, and i quote, "I dislike gay people"...
Reply 96
You're directly contradicting what you said earlier. You know, when you said you held minor prejudices.
Reply 97
calumc
No I'm not. These "minor prejudices" were simply that I would say their sexuality makes gay people slightly less appealing as people overall to begin with, like I said, it was "off putting". The reason for this being simply that I disagree with their sexuality. It's a minor niggle, I don't hold it against them - but knowing they're gay does still have that effect, but can't anything be like that?

Oh I see, a prejudice that you don't hold against people.
Reply 98
Oh my! I can't believe this thread has turned into a homophobia/gay rights... bla bla bla issue. I think some people didn't even read the quetion just the word 'gay.'

To Medic- I feel really sorry for you coz this thread seems to be of no use. I hope you are clearer on which uni to go to, and if not, I suggest you start a new thread and name each uni you've applied to (or the cities which they are in) and ask which one has the best gay nightlife or experiences of gay people currently in those unis. Sorry I can't really help coz I don't live in the UK... but hope you choose the best uni for you and have a great time.
Reply 99
Urm what about Oxford? I think it does have its fair share of gay nightspots and the students are accepting of differences.

Latest

Trending

Trending