The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 1
The are two networks that you can use at Brookes. HallNet and WanderNet.

HallNet is available in most (if not all by now) halls of residence in the form of one RJ-45 (ethernet) socket. The cost is £2 per week. You have a printing account at Brookes that you can charge money to via the web using a debit/ credit card. Having money in this account allows you to print stuff on campus. Your printing account is also where you pay for your HallNet subscription.

I don't think I will ever have a connection as fast as my HallNet connection in first year...oh the the memories. I remember the Kazaa Lite transfer speeds, those wonderful...er...public domain films I downloaded. Though you do run the risk of getting your connection stopped if you choose to use P2P file sharing. When I was in first year they moaned about "proper usage" and that P2P was clogging up the system, but getting kicked off was only temporary - you could reconnection after 24 hours.

WanderNet is £10 per year. Yes: a one off payment of £10. It's only designed for laptop users as the green-coloured RJ-45 boxes that are available for WanderNet are only situtated around the university campus. HallNet is for halls and WanderNet is for on campus email/internet etc. Though I guess there is nothing stopping you from lugging your base unit, monitor and keyboard into uni!

Anyway, check out the links for the full facts...

HallNet: http://hallnet.brookes.ac.uk/about/

WanderNet: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/services/cs/useful_info/wandernet.html
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
:biggrin: Wahoo we have some one at last from oxford brookes lol :biggrin:

Reply 3
I'm another current student :smile:, just a note on hallnet...You will get caught for downloads..you always hear about those downloading legends that never got caught, but the reallity is quite differnt! 3 strikes and your out, I know it sounds sucky now but seriously its not that big a deal. I use my skype every day no probs. but mates of mine used bit torrent or limewire and got two cautions... so my advice for movies and music is do it at hone and invest in a mini HD to trawl it back to ur PC in halls. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending