The Student Room Group

Are the models on the ASOS website too thin?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
You jelly? They ARE 6/8, maybe 4's. They are just look after their bodies too! A flat tum takes work, not just a dress size, i'm a size 8/10 and I feel the models look fine. Calm yo self!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
I think that the models look fine. To be quite honest, the fashion industry does discriminate against plus sized/curvier women, there is no doubt about that. And well, although it could potentially lower the self esteem of women, they have to sell/show their clothes, and quite frankly, clothes USUALLY tend to look better on women who are tall, have slim and long legs, have a small waist, and have medium-small bust and hips (ideally 34,24,34). Of course, this doesn't mean that if you don't look like this, that the garment will not look good on you, but come on, face the facts, people who are that size can pretty much pull everything off, hence why they are used for the promotion of their clothes.

(I wrote a 4000 word essay on this for my extended essay for IB!)
Nope.
Reply 83
Original post by emma37373
The last model is wearing a size 8 and doesn't look unhealthy. You have to be really quite skinny before it becomes unhealthy, unless the reason for your weight is anorexia / malnutrition / another health problem. If you're naturally slim, eat well and exercise plenty it's healthier to be a size 6 than a size 12.

actually regardless of what size the model is wearing they are normally pinned at the back. This makes the clothes look how they are meant to look and more appealing for buyers. Just saying as my boyfriend is a photographer and reports back on various shoots for magazines etc....also you may think these girls are healthy, but he hasn't met one yet who he hasn't had to put next to a heater to warm up because she's so skinny. The last shoot he was on the model feinted as she was clearly not eating. These models are definately too thin. In the first picture the legs are so skinny, I don't know what the rest of you are looking at!
Those images are bound to have been airbrushed and editted. I wish they had a wider range of models. I'd order from them if I had a better idea of what the clothes would like on me.
Reply 85
Original post by sassy123
The last one looks too skinny but i think the bikini model has a smashing figure! I would find it hard to belive that a man would turn her down.

Nah! The bikini model isn't nice. I can see the bottom of her ribcage. It looks painful and sickening.
Heaven forbid I ever look like that.
Original post by No Future
Some of the models on ASOS look about a size 4-6 at 5'10 or 5'11. That is probably clinically underweight.

Negged for stating facts? :rolleyes:
Reply 87
Original post by Unbiased Opinion

I think she looks pretty unhealthy facially tbh (pretty, yeah, but she looks miserable and tired. And that's with air brushing!)

miserable?? i think she looks fine in this photo. But I do notice that some models in catwalk vids look extremely pissed, maybe works are too tiring.
Reply 88
Original post by iw974315
miserable?? i think she looks fine in this photo. But I do notice that some models in catwalk vids look extremely pissed, maybe works are too tiring.

You try walking up and down a catwalk at least 5 times per outfit (and if you think how many outfits ASOS photograph in one day!), in heels that probably don't fit properly and hurt like hell because of this...and then try and look happy. Oh, and don't forget having your photo taken in each outfit as well.

Seriously, speaking from experience it's not as easy as people automatically dismiss it as.

FWIW, I think the straight size ASOS models are fine - it usually says their proportions in the blurb for each outfit anyways eg "model is 5'10 and wearing a size 8" - hardly an unhealthy size, just looks thinner because of their height.

ASOS Curve is a little bit different IMO - the models they use are usually a 14-16 (standard sample size for plus size fashion, again, speaking from experience), when the range starts at a size 20. If I were a bigger woman, i'd not find that particularly helpful. However, knowing that it's virtually impossible to find a stunning, in proportion size 20 and then harder again to try and get samples made that size instead of 14-16, I can see why ASOS do it like that.

It's not as easy as just picking clothes out from stock (this rarely if EVER happens, because it's not in a new condition and therefore suitable for sale if you have a model spending time walking and posing in it), based on the size of the model. Samples are made months in advance of shoots, models are booked to fit the samples, not the other way around. That's why you don't see the "mix of sizes" people always want.
Original post by Abi24
You try walking up and down a catwalk at least 5 times per outfit (and if you think how many outfits ASOS photograph in one day!), in heels that probably don't fit properly and hurt like hell because of this...and then try and look happy. Oh, and don't forget having your photo taken in each outfit as well.

Seriously, speaking from experience it's not as easy as people automatically dismiss it as.

FWIW, I think the straight size ASOS models are fine - it usually says their proportions in the blurb for each outfit anyways eg "model is 5'10 and wearing a size 8" - hardly an unhealthy size, just looks thinner because of their height.

ASOS Curve is a little bit different IMO - the models they use are usually a 14-16 (standard sample size for plus size fashion, again, speaking from experience), when the range starts at a size 20. If I were a bigger woman, i'd not find that particularly helpful. However, knowing that it's virtually impossible to find a stunning, in proportion size 20 and then harder again to try and get samples made that size instead of 14-16, I can see why ASOS do it like that.

It's not as easy as just picking clothes out from stock (this rarely if EVER happens, because it's not in a new condition and therefore suitable for sale if you have a model spending time walking and posing in it), based on the size of the model. Samples are made months in advance of shoots, models are booked to fit the samples, not the other way around. That's why you don't see the "mix of sizes" people always want.

That was actually really interesting to know :yy:
Reply 90
Original post by OliviaVW
No, I find it pretty convenient since I'm roughly the same height/measurements as (most of) them so I know what size to get. For example, sometimes you can see the fabric stretching or looking too baggy and I pick my size accordingly, or if something looks silly and too short then I won't bother.

But I think if you were shorter or a lot larger then it'd be a pain to try and guess what size you should get. I'm probably biased as it saves me time fussing over what I should order. However, ASOS have both a Curve and Petite section, so I think they cater for most people.

There's two extremes I guess, the regular collection models are deemed unhealthy/underweight, but the Curve collection models also look unhealthy/overweight. But regardless, they're selling the clothes and not the models, and to be fair, I have seen much much thinner girls before.

But honestly, I probably would be less likely to buy something if I could see rolls of fat. I just don't find it appealing. It's what sells, and companies know this - It's not personal, it's business.

I'm 2in taller than most of them, and a size 16 but similar shape (ie in proportion). I don't struggle to pick stuff out at all, I look at whether it makes the model look bigger than her size - if it does, definite no-go for me. Same for trouser length etc if a specified length isnt given.
I think they'd look better with a bit more curves but if they like looking like that and there healthy then it's fine :smile:
Reply 92
Nope, they look good to me.
Reply 93
Original post by Abi24
I'm 2in taller than most of them, and a size 16 but similar shape (ie in proportion). I don't struggle to pick stuff out at all, I look at whether it makes the model look bigger than her size - if it does, definite no-go for me. Same for trouser length etc if a specified length isnt given.

Well then I fail to see what the problem is that people have then? I just assumed it was a practical issue, but obviously not :s-smilie:
Reply 94
Original post by OliviaVW
Well then I fail to see what the problem is that people have then? I just assumed it was a practical issue, but obviously not :s-smilie:

Some people aren't as straight forward to dress I guess. I'm lucky i'm in proportion and having the insight into the fashion industry and modelling I can put an outfit together on ASOS in no time at all.

However some people have tricky body shapes, different perceptions of what suits them and what doesn't, what length they like, etc etc.

BTW is anyone else having a problem with ASOS at the moment? I go to refine a search to 200 per page and my size/colour preferences etc and it never works, just keeps everything up and at 20 per page.
Reply 95
I think they are too thin and don't bother shopping there anymore as a result. Yes models are meant to be thin, they are something to hang clothes on rather than an example of what average people are meant to look like, but they seem to be much thinner than models on say, Gap or Next. It's just excessive and promoting a psuedo-anoroxic look when it's not necessary. There is a middle ground between the models that they use and, say, a size 12.
I don't understand why people are saying being that size automatically means you're anorexic and unhealthy. My girlfriend has pretty much got the same figure as these models, I'd say most like the one on the 2nd link on the OP. She's not anorexic at all, she eats just as much as I do. But I do know for a fact that she gets sick of people always being like 'oo aren't you skinny' etc. Some girls are thinner, some girls are bigger. That's life isn't it. Throwing about unfounded accusations of people being anorexic and not eating isn't particularly nice. If this was a post saying don't these models look like fat bitches I think everyone would be saying don't be so tight. So why all join in hating on the smaller girls.
The 3rd one is well fit. :smile:
Reply 98
I think the 3rd's alright, though the others are indeed too skinny.
Reply 99
Original post by sii217
I don't understand why people are saying being that size automatically means you're anorexic and unhealthy. My girlfriend has pretty much got the same figure as these models, I'd say most like the one on the 2nd link on the OP. She's not anorexic at all, she eats just as much as I do. But I do know for a fact that she gets sick of people always being like 'oo aren't you skinny' etc. Some girls are thinner, some girls are bigger. That's life isn't it. Throwing about unfounded accusations of people being anorexic and not eating isn't particularly nice. If this was a post saying don't these models look like fat bitches I think everyone would be saying don't be so tight. So why all join in hating on the smaller girls.

That's not what this debate is about.

You might think your girlfriend is this small, but I bet that if you saw her alongside these models you'd realise that they are much, much smaller (and probably much taller). Virtually nobody is as small as they are without having an extreme diet or a health problem. All the people I know who look or aim to look like this have food issues e.g. aiming to restrict calories to less than 1000 a day, pretending to be vegan so that they can decline food in front of people and eat nutritianally deficient diets in order to cut calories.

The fact is that these girls are not only naturally skinny people, but they are naturally skinny people who've dieted and been airbrushed until they look unnatural.

I used to be skeptical about this until I came to university and came across so many girls having unrealistic ideas about what's an ideal weight and now they should manage their diets. Like I said in my previous post, I checked the asos website for something a few weeks ago, without even thinking about these issues, and was genuinely shocked by the image that they were promoting.

And to iterate my other previous point about asos models: if they're just naturally thin then why are they noticeably thinner than the otherwise thin models on sites like GAP and Next?

Quick Reply

Latest