Duke of Edinburgh award: is it really worth it?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I'm only going to be able to do bronze or maybe silver too before I apply for Uni, and i was just wondering if it actually adds anything valuable to your UCAS form? Seems an awful lot of bother to arrange all the different things you have to do for it.
Bitewing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
I'm only going to be able to do bronze or maybe silver too before I apply for Uni, and i was just wondering if it actually adds anything valuable to your UCAS form? Seems an awful lot of bother to arrange all the different things you have to do for it.
I was doing my Silver D of E before I applied to university (and said I was working towards it on my PS), though still haven't actually completed it! It definately looks good, - and I was asked about it at all of my interviews.
Ngosa
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i can advise you to consider what you are currently studying, if you have plenty of time, then go for it. The good thing about D O E is that it benefits both the community and yourself. I worked in a primary school and my friend worked in hospital, this was good......... i also participated in London marathon which was of no benefit to me. i was dead tired after completing the race. it took me two weeks 4 my muscles to recover for which I lost study time.
Azure_Ice
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Yes definitely go for it! I did a Bronze D of E and it looks good when you go for job interviews as well as uni interviews. It shows you're taking an involvement in something.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
As well as it looking good, its also quite fun to do, especially the expedition!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bitewing)
As well as it looking good, its also quite fun to do, especially the expedition!
Yeah it is good, i only did bronze though. SOme Unis such as Birmingham offer it as a society/ club type thing where you can jump right in and do gold.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It will look good on your application forms and such, but it's a right chore.

I'm doing Silver now...expeditions on Dartmoor coming up.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Will)
It will look good on your application forms and such, but it's a right chore.

I'm doing Silver now...expeditions on Dartmoor coming up.
ADVICE: Plan the hike on the top of a hill, so that for the next 3 days the walk would be downhill.
Emma123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
D of E does look good to put on ucas form and as something to talk about at interviews, but only do it if you think you will enjoy it as it does involve a lot of time and effort.
I did it with a lot of my friends and we made it fun! Go for it if you want to do it.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
nah i don't think it makes much difference really - well I don't have ti and I still got in to ox! speaking to the admissions guy at emmanual college, cam he said only having a gold may aid you - but he said they don't really care about n his words 'if you can put up a tent and cook beans'
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've done Bronze and Silver and am going for Gold! But I didn't do it to put on my UCAS form, I did it because it's a great experience; you'll definately enjoy it!

It can certainly help to have the Gold award - universities and employers do like it. Plus if you're crafty you can work it into your personal statement - it's especially good for a fieldwork based subject. For example:

I have completed the Bronze, Silver and Gold Duke of Edinburgh Awards. For my Gold Award, I gained valuable work experience in a Cancer Research UK Shop, learned Arabic, and practised my karate. The Award also helped to polish my fieldwork skills and made me more adept at coping with and recognising the natural environment, abilities which will doubtless come in handy during my Geography degree.
bOdOING2
Report 17 years ago
Only gold is taken into account (for Oxbridge)? cos i've done silver and is starting the service,skill,sport for gold now, but i can only start the experditions next year as my school cancled the sceme this year? So what if i put, I have silver and is doing gold? Wont they look at that?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
no - i went to cambrdige's open day, and the admission tutor basivally told us that they dont cares about things like duke of edingburgh, and dont put it in the personal statement
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Also DoE gold is seen as the equivalent to an A Level.

And even if Oxbridge aren't too bothered by it - and I suspect they do like it actually - then other Universities will still be impressed by it, so you might as well mention it. It's not exactly going to do you any harm!
Ben.S.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

And even if Oxbridge aren't too bothered by it - and I suspect they do like it actually - then other Universities will still be impressed by it, so you might as well mention it. It's not exactly going to do you any harm!
It's not the case that 'Oxbridge likes this' and 'Oxbridge doesn't want that' - your statement will not be read by 'Oxbridge', it will be read by a few of a large number of fellows and admissions tutors which all like different things in a peronal statement!

Ben
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

Doe Gold is good - but doe bronze is basically nothing.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
ADVICE: Plan the hike on the top of a hill, so that for the next 3 days the walk would be downhill.
If only we'd done that, - I think when my group planned ours, we completely disregarded the contour lines on the map, - we ended up spending most of the time going up and down hills when it would have been a whole lot easier (and most of the time actually a shorter distance) just to go round them.
butterflew
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
um, not being funny, but unless you're dropped off on the exact spot where your route starts, surely you have to get to the top of the hill first, so it doesn't really make a difference?? just look at the contour lines. and do a reccy first if you can. and DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING TO SKYE
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Do not let your application influence your decision. Do it if you want to do it; don't do it if you don't.
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
You're sticking your neck out a bit with this statement.

If you've only done Bronze it'd probably not be worth mentioning on your personal statement, but Silver would be -- not that many people do it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads