Duke of Edinburgh award: is it really worth it?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oops, typed the wrong thing. By the way, I might consider talking to my school about this and start after the easter holiday, during the summer, or spet 2004, or during my gap year. I am actually doing an award similar to this called ASDAN universities award. Not sure should I do the duke of edinburgh now when I compared them.
DrJ131
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
The DofE Award although not neccessary to do just to put on your UCAS form is still good in many other ways:

1) Self confidence
2) Meet variety of people - my leader is ex-SAS
3) Give something back to community
4) Loads of new skills
5) Fun
6) Can be used on forms
7) Self satisfaction

Feel free to comment on this list
NickiM
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was going to do Bronze DoE, but I hate expeditions, so it put me off.
amo1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i did all three, and had soo much fun, i didnt do much extra as i play the sax and guitar, run for county and am part of a charity project, but it was more the people u did it with it was like an adventure with friends
MRLX69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
I'm only going to be able to do bronze or maybe silver too before I apply for Uni, and i was just wondering if it actually adds anything valuable to your UCAS form? Seems an awful lot of bother to arrange all the different things you have to do for it.
I skipped bronze and silver and went straight on to gold. To be honest, I don't think it played a huge part in my application to higher education. The uni's I've applied to were more interested in how good am I at maths.

I did it solely because I thought it would be fun and that I really love exercise (especially camping, mountain climbing etc.....).

I've got 2 more expeditions to do this summer in july. We're doing ours in Devon. Out on the moors again! :eek:
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
By the way, I'm in a bit of a mess coz I haven't done much supervised sport........ Can any1 help? Any suggestions?
Monii
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)
I skipped bronze and silver and went straight on to gold.

that will be exactly my case
kybie26
Report 16 years ago
I did my bronze award and then i absolutely hate it. However, being affected by everyone else in my peer group and family, i skipped silver and went onto Gold. The expeditions were tough however fantastic and very enjoyable. Having fun with friends and overcoming all the challenges together was memorable and a very rare experience.

Although it's nothing to do with the subjects that you are going to do in Uni, however it's still worth to put it down because it shows that you have a 'all-a-round' talent and can overcome challenges.
kybie26
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)
By the way, I'm in a bit of a mess coz I haven't done much supervised sport........ Can any1 help? Any suggestions?
Tennis lesson probably? or hockey?
Loz_lauren
Report 16 years ago
Don't bother if you're not going to enjoy it. I know this really annoying girl who just crammed her statement full of extra-c. activities like this and hated all of them. She was a drain on the rest of the group and didn't even get very far with offers. Only do it if its something you'll enjoy, UCAS don't care
amo1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Loz_lauren)
Don't bother if you're not going to enjoy it. I know this really annoying girl who just crammed her statement full of extra-c. activities like this and hated all of them. She was a drain on the rest of the group and didn't even get very far with offers. Only do it if its something you'll enjoy, UCAS don't care
i did d of e mainly for ucas, but i ended up having a gr8 time and doing gold and silver
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'll never forget my DofE silver final expedition. A girl in our group had an asthma attack and I fell flat on my face in the mud running to help her!!!
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my bronze expedition it rained all the time. I was helping my friend over a stile, and I slipped up and landed head first in a huge bunch of nettles! My face killed all day, and I got loads of strange looks from people.
spider from mars
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
On my final silver expedition we ended up in what we now refer to as Death Valley. Basically we were following this path about halfway up the side of a valley and the valley just kept getting steeper and steeper, and the path narrower and narrower. Eventually we decided to cut out losses and climb vertically. Boy was that an interesting experience. One of my friends (well, someone I don't hate anyway) "rediscovered God." You know things are bad when you willingly clutch nettles just to stop yourself falling. One of my friends did fall actually, about 15ft downwards. She was ok. I blame those damn heavy bags. I was just grateful it wasn't raining like it had for every day of all the expeditions we'd been on til that day.
Sami C
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bronze was awesome. All my friends went on it and we had a great time getting lost and camping was brilliant. When it got dark we went running around tripping people up and then my friend had his front tooth knocked out by a thermos....good times.

I've done 3 day practise for Silver and it was awesome as well in parts cracking jokes. Everyone got a Harry Potter character and we just went back and forwards with Potter jokes (bad ones!!), but at times was awful. The second night my sleeping bag got wet so I was shivering all night in the wet and felt like crap the next day. I'm not going to bother with doing it again, if anything I'll just say i'm still doing Silver on my form, if at all.
eurasianfeline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I loved the DoE award. In HK we now call it the HK Award for Young People (HKAYP) cos we're no longer a Brit colony but it's exactly the same as before. I did Bronze and Silver and I wish my school would offer Gold. A few of my friends and i would defintely go for it if it's available in my school. The only other way to do it is with other schools...but they were all doing it when we did Silver...so it was too late for us. *bleh* The long hiking can be a pain...but I don't mind it too much cos I love the outdoors and hiking / camping is actually rather fun. I would recommend it.
kybie26
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eurasianfeline)
I loved the DoE award. In HK we now call it the HK Award for Young People (HKAYP) cos we're no longer a Brit colony but it's exactly the same as before. I did Bronze and Silver and I wish my school would offer Gold. A few of my friends and i would defintely go for it if it's available in my school. The only other way to do it is with other schools...but they were all doing it when we did Silver...so it was too late for us. *bleh* The long hiking can be a pain...but I don't mind it too much cos I love the outdoors and hiking / camping is actually rather fun. I would recommend it.
I think doing D of E in HK must be more difficult than in the UK as HK is such a hot place to go for hiking. It must be so humid and get sweat easily. Yea gold award is so much fun than bronze (i don't know abt silver coz i skipped it). We even went to Pyrenees, France for our gold expedition for 6 days. Tough but we had so much fun. Maybe you can go for the gold award when you come to the UK, in sept right?
eurasianfeline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kybie26)
I think doing D of E in HK must be more difficult than in the UK as HK is such a hot place to go for hiking. It must be so humid and get sweat easily. Yea gold award is so much fun than bronze (i don't know abt silver coz i skipped it). We even went to Pyrenees, France for our gold expedition for 6 days. Tough but we had so much fun. Maybe you can go for the gold award when you come to the UK, in sept right?
yeah hk can be quite humid. our school tries to put our expeditions and trainings in feb / march to avoid the hot weather...meaning we hike and camp in the miserable cold...and since there are limited places to hike and camp...sometimes we end up in places like the beach. it's nice...but the next morning all our tents are wet from the dew and stuff it's quite annoying. and the hiking trails in hk are rather bad too...well at least the ones we go onto are!!
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NickiM)
I was going to do Bronze DoE, but I hate expeditions, so it put me off.
same here, i would have done enough already for Gold but I hate camping
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kybie26)
Tennis lesson probably? or hockey?
Since I only got about 7 weeks of school left, and I got my A level requirements to achieve, I guess I'm not going to get the award........ .

Can I complete it next year in uni? or is there a time limit?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads