Duke of Edinburgh award: is it really worth it?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
MRLX69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You do know that after your 3 services, 3 expeditions, you also have to do a few months of 'community service', where you'll go abroad (or something like that) and help the less fortunate. One of my friends went to some place in Africa to help build wells :confused: . After that, you'll get your certification from the queen in buckingham palace (or something like that).
kybie26
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)
You do know that after your 3 services, 3 expeditions, you also have to do a few months of 'community service', where you'll go abroad (or something like that) and help the less fortunate. One of my friends went to some place in Africa to help build wells :confused: . After that, you'll get your certification from the queen in buckingham palace (or something like that).
What? have to go to Africa and help with community service? That's not necessary!! It's just your friends choice. i've got my gold award approved already and i only did community service for a year at school and it's done for the service section!! Not 3 services.

You'll get your gold award certificate from the Duke of Edinburgh in St James Palace. Also you can carry on with your award until you are 25 so you can continue your activities in Uni or start a new one when you go to uni
medicinewannado
Report 16 years ago
HI PEEPS!

Yes, I ve done Bronze and Silver and in the process of deciding whether to do gold. What do you think? Mind you, Silver was ace apart from the stupid heavy bags, although. It was kinda fun now but not at the time as my friend got hyperthemia so we had a recue operation going on, RAF helicopters etc. The seal of the mobile had to be broken and then we couldn't get any signal. Did I not mention we were stuck up on Black Crag for hours!!! That in Windermere as our school has a camp there, hence camp Windermere.Then she was taken away to get medical check. So then we continued.... Quite an experience. It also rained, which was helpful.

The pics were hilarious though.

I was wondering whether you people, have done expeditions without a practice? One of my friends said she has done with a different school in Bath at Kingswood(boarding school) its so posh check the website if your bored!!! no offence to people who go there!!! BUT I DON'T BELIEVE HER!!!

TC XxX
Splinter
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For gold a practice expedition is obligatory, otherwise they dont let you pass. I did my practice in Shropshire in the middle of February last year (yes in lots of snow) and I did my qualifying in Cumbria in April last year (yes it rained all the time).
In some respects it was one of the hardest experiences as we endured 5 days of straight rain and hail, slept with wet sleeping bags and didnt have a single item of dry clothing by the end ( and believe me we all had amazing waterproofs and knew how to use them, it was just like standing in the shower all day every day). A white out on top of Skafell Pike was also not terribly exciting.
Other than that, it was a great experience, and has loads of nice memories, and hard times really strenghten bonds between friends, especially when you have to keep each other motivated all the time.
As for what it did for my Uni applications - I honestly doubt anyone even looked at it, all of them were by far more interested in my acedemics, and in none of the interviews did I get asked anything about what extracurricular I do or anything related, it was all hardcore knowledge and thinkign testing.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kybie26)
What? have to go to Africa and help with community service? That's not necessary!! It's just your friends choice. i've got my gold award approved already and i only did community service for a year at school and it's done for the service section!! Not 3 services.

You'll get your gold award certificate from the Duke of Edinburgh in St James Palace. Also you can carry on with your award until you are 25 so you can continue your activities in Uni or start a new one when you go to uni
Thanks for the info! I shall get my gold award . I'm planning to join the boat rowing team in Manchester.
kybie26
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by medicinewannado)
Mind you, Silver was ace apart from the stupid heavy bags, although. It was kinda fun now but not at the time as my friend got hyperthemia so we had a recue operation going on, RAF helicopters etc. The seal of the mobile had to be broken and then we couldn't get any signal. Did I not mention we were stuck up on Black Crag for hours!!! That in Windermere as our school has a camp there, hence camp Windermere.Then she was taken away to get medical check. So then we continued.... Quite an experience. It also rained, which was helpful.
That's a very extraordinary experience that you've had. When we went to Pyrenees for our accessment, we experienced all sorts of weather, from sun burnt to rain, then hail and finally walking on glacier and hving windstorm at night.
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
D of E is the best thing ever! I have done Bronze and Silver and am doing my 2 expeditions in the summer to finish Gold - but PLEASE dont do it just for UCAS , some of my friends have done that and it kinda spoils the whole group atmosphere in the walking bits....
but yeah, if you dont mind walking and wanna have a great laf with your friends (get wet, soggy, cold, starved, clear your own campsite, wee in bushes, eat off the floor.. lol) then go for it - the last day of the expedition hurts like anything but i have had so much fun on them, its definitely worth it
db_cambridge
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've just about finished gold, I would definately say go for it if you have the time and the inclination.
af1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i didnt even do DofE i just signed up and then put it on my UCAS form. ha.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by af1)
clever, you didn't really need to sign up though ,did you?
db_cambridge
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by af1)
I hope you are proud of yourself!
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
better way would be:
don't do anything in your spare time, say that you are the school captain with DoE Gold, active member of the orchestra and plays in the county orchestra for fun and relaxation. Also during lesson time you don't turn up to lessons but intead read about the genetic epidemiology of multiple sclerosis.
kidda_puttar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol!

I'm doing Silver atm...finished my practice on Sunday.

Done Bronze...both (Silv and Bronze) have been great fun. I'm defo doing Gold.

PLUS, I'm applying for medicine in two years time and my service is medically related....so it's great for me! (and it's bloody good fun did I mention)
Xena
Report 16 years ago
D of E is definately worth doing. Ive done my Bronze, Silver and Gold prac and will be doing my Gold actual in Mongolia (with ATC). Its is an amazing experience and does look good on any application form. You are using and developing so many different skills it counts for alot! It can show leadership, responsibility etc etc.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads