Which is more harder Math: non calculator or math Calculator

Watch
This discussion is closed.
spamking
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Well I've took the math noncalculator exam, and it turns out I got 71%, intermediate paper(No revision). And was just wondering if the non calculator exam would be as easy?

Any tips?

Thanks
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I find non-calc ones easier, but it's up to personal strengths, I think.
Libertine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
More harder???

They are both easy - I don't think one is really harder than the other.
Angel Interceptor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
They are both simple (and I took the higher papers when I did them) and aced them both, however I preferred the non-calculator paper.....it was soooo simple!
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, I found GCSE higher tier pips as well, but not all of us do... the OP may not be the Maths genius all of you are.
kellywood_5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
Well, I found GCSE higher tier pips as well, but not all of us do... the OP may not be the Maths genius all of you are.
Agreed- bit of arrogance being shown in this thread! Comments like 'they're both easy', 'they're both simple' and 'only 71%' don't make the rest of us who aren't so good at maths feel any better :p: Just because you lot find maths easy, it doesn't mean everyone does, and 71% is a very good mark. I took higher tier and got a B, which I was very proud of because I seriously thought I'd failed! Anyway, in response to the OP, I personally found both very hard, but I always found the calculator paper a lot easier. It depends what topics you're good at though. I was quite good at things like equations and trigonometry, but I sucked at graphs and angles!
Simba
Report 15 years ago
The non-calculator is easier in my eyes, although I'm afraid I have to agree - they're both pretty easy... 71% is still a fairly good mark though, would that get you a B?
Balfager
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hated maths at GCSE but I managed an A... It wasn't that hard. :rolleyes:

In response to the question posed; I'd have to say the calculator-allowed paper was easier. Give me a calculator and I can solve almost anything. It was fun.

--------------

(Original post by Simba)
The non-calculator is easier in my eyes, although I'm afraid I have to agree - they're both pretty easy... 71% is still a fairly good mark though, would that get you a B?
I don't think the B threshold is as low as 71% - if I remember correctly it's usually 75% + (for the int. paper, anyhow)...
Balfager
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Agreed- bit of arrogance being shown in this thread! Comments like 'they're both easy', 'they're both simple' and 'only 71%' don't make the rest of us who aren't so good at maths feel any better :p: Just because you lot find maths easy, it doesn't mean everyone does, and 71% is a very good mark. I took higher tier and got a B, which I was very proud of because I seriously thought I'd failed! Anyway, in response to the OP, I personally found both very hard, but I always found the calculator paper a lot easier. It depends what topics you're good at though. I was quite good at things like equations and trigonometry, but I sucked at graphs and angles!
You do realise that the OP was also being arrogant, by saying "just wondering if the non calculator exam would be as easy"?
kellywood_5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Balfager)
You do realise that the OP was also being arrogant, by saying "just wondering if the non calculator exam would be as easy"?
Hmm, I guess. It didn't come across as blatantly as some of the replies though.
anon53
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think the calculator paper is by far the most difficult.
Drarren
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think the calculator paper's harder as, even though you get to use a calc, there are many questions that don't need one, or where having one's not much use without the knowledge of how to answer to go with it.
Trepur99
Report 15 years ago
I remember the calculator paper being a little harder than the calculator, as the presence of the calculator simply means they can set more demanding questions conceptually such as difficult 3d trig questions rather than simple sine graphs!
smiley :)
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In my real gcse exams I found the calculator paper easier, but I think it all just depends on what topics come up in your exam.
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Calc..but I realised last week where I went wrong in my end of year 10 exam for calc where I got 26%.
You know when you are doing something where you have to leave it as 3SF at the end? Well as I was working it all out, I'd do it ALL to 3SF.
Which gave me an answer which wasnt right, but only by like 1.
spamking
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
So are the grade bounderies lower for the calc?
Mustard-man
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I personally think they're both the same difficulty, although I can barely remeber the 2 papers.

But the AS level the paper with the calculator is certainly harder
Kimi3013
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I can only remember GCSE Maths being easy all the way, all exams being about the same.

In my AS Exams last year I got 81% on the non, but 97% and on the one with the calculator. Which says to me the calculator paper are easier.
geographer.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maths with Calculators allowed is most definately the harder paper im my own opinion.
PVTHADON
Report 15 years ago
I found the calculator paper was the hardest out of the two
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (202)
43.72%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.21%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise