The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

My accommodation offer came today. It also came for my friend who's starting at St. Andrews too.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Weird and possibly repeated question - what size are the beds in DRA? I'm travelling a long way and luggage space is limited, so I'm thinking of getting one of the bedding packs and am hesitant to buy a double one if the beds turn out to be single!
Original post by ExhaustedPhD23
Weird and possibly repeated question - what size are the beds in DRA? I'm travelling a long way and luggage space is limited, so I'm thinking of getting one of the bedding packs and am hesitant to buy a double one if the beds turn out to be single!

Beds are double 4'6" (except for a couple of twin rooms but there aren't many of these and you would know if you had one)
(edited 7 years ago)
Cool, thank you! Didn't want to shell out 68 quid on bedding until I was sure :smile:
Is anyone else moving in to DRA? (I'm in Ruskin) Or any biochemistry students?
Original post by jaddison09
Is anyone else moving in to DRA? (I'm in Ruskin) Or any biochemistry students?

I'm moving into DRA Lindsay :smile:
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't bother reading 86 pages :P Is it true that you are not guaranteed accommodation if you aren't a first year student? And that it's very difficult and expensive to find other kind of accommodation?
Anyone know where I can find the opening and closing dates for halls?
Original post by idril93
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't bother reading 86 pages :P Is it true that you are not guaranteed accommodation if you aren't a first year student? And that it's very difficult and expensive to find other kind of accommodation?

Hey! It is correct that you're not guaranteed anything if you're a returning student (2nd-4th) but you can still apply. It's not that difficult or expensive if you're looking in the right places and actually put effort into looking for somewhere. There's lots of ways to get housing & lots of affordable options so don't worry too much about it - I found something within 3 days of starting to look:biggrin:.

Original post by TimGB
Anyone know where I can find the opening and closing dates for halls?

Hey! It tends to vary every year - so I'm not sure if there will be an actual page since it's on the accomodation contracts. They always open the first Saturday of freshers/orientation week though. Some halls stay open right through until the last weekend of second semester, some close over christmas (but you can leave your things).
Hey everyone I made a facebook page for St Andrews 2017 applicants because i couldn't find one myself - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1231311706946972/ Hope you join and get to meet some other fabulous prospective students!
Hi, i know there is a bit about albany park at the begining but its from 2011 and i wondered if there was anything more up to date about it? Whats the atmosphere like? Pros and cons to staying there? With it being the cheapest is there a divide beeen those staying in the more 'prestigeous' halls and those in albany?
What is the food like in catered halls?
Reply 1712
Original post by kiera28
What is the food like in catered halls?

Depends on which halls. More expensive halls will generally have more selection/better quality food.
Hi,

I'm a postgraduate offer holder and was thinking about applying for Dean's Court accomodation. Does anyone have any further info on this hall that is not mentioned on the uni website?
I was wondering how many people share a bathroom, whether there's proper heating in the bedrooms etc:smile:

My other choice would be DRA but was advised against it since it is further away.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot!
What % of second year on wards students get a place in the halls ?
I'm very confused. People are asking opinions on specific halls, but do first years get to pick? It looks like you only get to choose single/shared ensuite/non-ensuite, catered/non-catered? Do you also get to list hall preference?
Original post by MomofUSgirl
I'm very confused. People are asking opinions on specific halls, but do first years get to pick? It looks like you only get to choose single/shared ensuite/non-ensuite, catered/non-catered? Do you also get to list hall preference?

It doesn't seem like we can list hall preference.
Any secret to getting one close to Chemistry? University or John Burnett, preferably? Or do they try to place students near their departments at all?
Original post by MomofUSgirl
Any secret to getting one close to Chemistry? University or John Burnett, preferably? Or do they try to place students near their departments at all?

No, you just have to accept what they give you. Besides, the town is so small it doesn't really make an enormous difference, the other halls won't be much further away - except maybe for Albany or Fife park, but you can try choosing room options that aren't available there, and even they aren't that far compared to the travel from accommodation students have to do in bigger towns/cities.

Incidentally I'd really recommend getting a bicycle for getting about the town, especially if you end up in Fife park/DRA/Albany.
(edited 7 years ago)
Compared to her US choices, they all seem far! Bike will go with her if she goes here, didn't think about it for UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending