Disadvatnagesof Accrual, Prudence and Going Concern Concept?

Watch
accesstohe
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
can anybody tell me the disadvantages of these 3 main concepts?
Flying Scotsman
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Accruals concept: An entity matches income to expenditure in the period in which it occurred. A disadvantage would be that the financial statements appear to show an entity which is quite profitable, but in reality the entity may have liquidity problems if it is not turning profits into cash. So the accruals concept may create a false impression if it is unlikely that the entity will receive the revenue.

Prudence: This has the disadvantage of overstating liabilities and understating assets which may lead to a false impression of the entity being in a worse financial position than it actually is. This might put off potential investors. It also means the financial statements are no longer neutral.

Going concern: Assumes that the entity will continue in business for the foreseeable future, so assets may be overstated as they may not be recognised at net realisable value, but instead may be recognised at fair value which is likely to be higher.
accesstohe
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Flying Scotsman)
Accruals concept: An entity matches income to expenditure in the period in which it occurred. A disadvantage would be that the financial statements appear to show an entity which is quite profitable, but in reality the entity may have liquidity problems if it is not turning profits into cash. So the accruals concept may create a false impression if it is unlikely that the entity will receive the revenue.

Prudence: This has the disadvantage of overstating liabilities and understating assets which may lead to a false impression of the entity being in a worse financial position than it actually is. This might put off potential investors. It also means the financial statements are no longer neutral.

Going concern: Assumes that the entity will continue in business for the foreseeable future, so assets may be overstated as they may not be recognised at net realisable value, but instead may be recognised at fair value which is likely to be higher.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it
Josh2123
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
This was very good
Josh2123
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by flying scotsman)
accruals concept: An entity matches income to expenditure in the period in which it occurred. A disadvantage would be that the financial statements appear to show an entity which is quite profitable, but in reality the entity may have liquidity problems if it is not turning profits into cash. So the accruals concept may create a false impression if it is unlikely that the entity will receive the revenue.

ineed more info
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed