Watch
This discussion is closed.
Muffle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3451207.stm

"A proud US father and self-confessed engineering "geek" has named his son after a computer software term.
Jon Blake Cusack, from Holland, Michigan, told local newspapers the US practice of adding "Junior" or "II" after a boy's name was too common.

So, when his son was born last week, he decided on the name Jon Blake Cusack 2.0, as if he were a software upgrade.

Mr Cusack admitted that it took months to persuade his wife, Jamie, to accept the idea. "

Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That's a bit sad! Poor kid. He'll probably get teased loads when he gets older.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thats certainly abit crazy... what next c3p0
Egan1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
That's a bit sad! Poor kid. He'll probably get teased loads when he gets older.
I don't know, it's better than 'Junior' *shudders*

Naming children directly after a parent always seems foolish to me, how incovenient, and think of the confusions with post and being summoned etc.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Try having a name like Zia and knowing you were named after the Prime Minister of Bangladesh (who happens to be a woman :mad: )
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Try having a name like Zia and knowing you were named after the Prime Minister of Bangladesh (who happens to be a woman :mad: )
*chuckles*. 'Tisn't a bad name though. And even if it's a well know female name in Bangladesh, I doubt many English people would be able to associate it with a person or gender different to your own *shrug*.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
*chuckles*. 'Tisn't a bad name though. And even if it's a well know female name in Bangladesh, I doubt many English people would be able to associate it with a person or gender different to your own *shrug*.
True. But when I get into uni I'm changing it anyway. My folks aren't too keen on what I'll change it to (Juwel Haque) because apparently I won't be allowed on pilgrimage with a name like that. Like I care, and I'll just tell them I'll change it again when I want to go on pilgrimage (i.e. never, but I ain't telling them that!)...
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
True. But when I get into uni I'm changing it anyway. My folks aren't too keen on what I'll change it to (Juwel Haque) because apparently I won't be allowed on pilgrimage with a name like that. Like I care, and I'll just tell them I'll change it again when I want to go on pilgrimage (i.e. never, but I ain't telling them that!)...
Fair enough. My mother changed her name when she was old enough.

Where did Juwel come from?
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Fair enough. My mother changed her name when we was old enough.

Where did Juwel come from?
What does Juwel mean?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I can't understand how parents can be so stupid and name his children like them ... this 2.0 is just too much
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
*tuts* what is this world coming to...
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why 2.0 though? Why not just 2? Can he be upgraded to 2.1 or something?
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why do parents give their kids stupid names. Some sound OK in Fantasy books (like Elspeth, my personal favourite girls name) but I wouldn't give those names to my daughter. Life's hard enough without being picked on because of your name.
Mr White
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by androidkiller)
Why do parents give their kids stupid names. Some sound OK in Fantasy books (like Elspeth, my personal favourite girls name) but I wouldn't give those names to my daughter. Life's hard enough without being picked on because of your name.
Giving a child a unique name makes them more self-confident. Well, you'd have to be if you had a name like 'Elsepth', wouldn't you?
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't think it's too bad considering some of the names suggested in the "what wld u name ur son or daughter?" thread. Could be worse!

And with something like 'junior' or '2.0' or whatever, it's easy to drop it. If it was an awful first name it would be different.
preyingmantis
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Muffle)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3451207.stm

"A proud US father and self-confessed engineering "geek" has named his son after a computer software term.
Jon Blake Cusack, from Holland, Michigan, told local newspapers the US practice of adding "Junior" or "II" after a boy's name was too common.

So, when his son was born last week, he decided on the name Jon Blake Cusack 2.0, as if he were a software upgrade.

Mr Cusack admitted that it took months to persuade his wife, Jamie, to accept the idea. "

the us practice of II or Jnr is sh*t anyway. how unimaginitive can u get.
its as bad as George W Bush - whats the W for? nothing it just makes it sound more posh...
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Giving a child a unique name makes them more self-confident. Well, you'd have to be if you had a name like 'Elsepth', wouldn't you?
I don't think Elspeth is too bad a name, you'd just end up being called 'Ell' or 'Elly' or similar, such as if you'd been named Eleanor. I think it is by far preferable to a number of other names, it's just a little 'old fashioned' as it were.
Kirki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
I don't think it's too bad considering some of the names suggested in the "what wld u name ur son or daughter?" thread. Could be worse!

And with something like 'junior' or '2.0' or whatever, it's easy to drop it. If it was an awful first name it would be different.
Yeah, I doubt people would actually call them 2.0 or anything. It's actually pretty funny, I think. Well, as long as it's someone else it is! I feel a bit sorry for the child.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Kirki)
Yeah, I doubt people would actually call them 2.0 or anything. It's actually pretty funny, I think. Well, as long as it's someone else it is! I feel a bit sorry for the child.
Poor kid...

I kinda feel sorry for the guy because he's so sad. Or at least the mother of the child.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (184)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (132)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (171)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.69%
Loneliness (101)
8.44%
Financial worries (40)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (64)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (106)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (108)
9.03%

Watched Threads