The Student Room Group

Work Exp. The diary of A Musical Gal - Accountant!

Well, today was my first day at the Accountant. Yes, though I want to be a music teacher I got landed with an accountants.

My form said to arrive at 9 which I did...but nobody turned about until 9:15...very good start made even better by the fact that they had totally forgot I was coming!

10:00 - Still sat in reception doing nothing while guy (whose name I didn't know then - its Andy btw) rang my school, the career's office just to check I was in the right place!

10.30 - Still sat in reception doing nothing but reading Great Exp (homework off english teacher) while Andy and this other guy decide what to do with me.

11.10 - Finally some work - Photocopying! Very boring after the 10 min but at least I was out of reception.

11.30 - Way Hey, this is more like it. I'm given the bank statement of a local firm for the last year and have to sort out the costs in the columns e.g Wages and then add up the columns.

1.00 - Lunch finally...bump into my mum...very interesting. :rolleyes:

2.05 - Supposed to start back 5 min ago but main door is locked and nobody can here the doorbell.

2.10 - Shock Shock Horror Horror - work started at 11.30 has vanished, 6 pages of sums have disappered! I'm not amused!

4.00 - Having had to start all over with the sums, I have now finally finished...this company was rather interest as in 6 months it -

gave £250.57 to charity
had 4 parking fines
paid £50,678.90 in wages
brought £300.78 worth of tools
spent £400 on petrol

I phone to the guy who is supposed to be in charge of me but who I haven't seen since they left me work, say I have finished. I'm told to help Debs for the last hour (Debs had already gone home) so land myself with mountain of photocopying!

5.00 - Put on coat and leave to go catch bus.

Stay tuned of tomorrow's diary entry!
Ok, this is what happened today

9:00 - arrive having missed one bus and getting soaked by a car to find that Andy is in a meeting all morning and I will be running earnuns for the big boss all morning...not bad except I had to walk to the Inland Revanue building 4 streets away in the pouring rain.

11:30 - Andy arrives and rescues me from big boss guy, spent an hour doing this profit/loss type thing for this company before photocopying my ass off!

1:00 - Lunch and I decide to do my english coursework - review a local cafe, food ok atmosphere crap!

2:00 - Paul, another accoutant, takes me to a meeting where I am giving a notepad and pen, putting in the corner and said to make notes, acutally spent the time reading and making notes on 50 pages of Great Exp. (homework off other english teacher) though they thought I was writing notes about the meeting!

5:00 - arrive back at accountant's where I leave to catch a bus!

Today wasn't as bad as yesterday and it was pretty cool...Paul is about 28 and is a really funny guy who hates Andy! I'm having fun, even though an Accountant's wasn't my first choice!
Reply 2
Um interesting. I quite like photocopying, I personally know that in some circumstances they consider you a temp if you complain about the photocopying, but if you just grin and bear it, and do the best job you can manage then they will lift you up in the world.
3 days to go though, and except for english I haven't started any homework!
a_musical_gal
3 days to go though, and except for english I haven't started any homework!

Awww well...

I had work experience a while ago, they gave me decent work and I learnt a lot.
Reply 5
The phrase goes: all accountants are pessimists. Be careful now...
Reply 6
i remember mine...computer programming company... one day i ahd to run round head office testing all the keys and finding which locks worked where...they gave me a huge bunch of keys...and a map of the building....hmph...grrr
Day 3! Today I spent the day going to meeting to meeting with Big Boss guy and again put in a corner with pen and paper and asked to made notes and I had to because I forget my copy of Great Exp!
About 2, I was dying for a wee and I was waiting for Big Boss guy because he was in a meeting I wasn't allowed in - tough client. So I ask this woman behind the desk where the nearest toilet was and she did. However, I'm sure she said left at the bottom of the stairs not right, as I ended up lost for 20 mins and Big Boss guy had finished the meeting and had come looking for me and found me in the opposite side of the building to where the toliet was. He was pretty understand but annoyed but not as annoyed as me because I never had a pee!
Reply 8
a_musical_gal
Day 3! Today I spent the day going to meeting to meeting with Big Boss guy and again put in a corner with pen and paper and asked to made notes and I had to because I forget my copy of Great Exp!
About 2, I was dying for a wee and I was waiting for Big Boss guy because he was in a meeting I wasn't allowed in - tough client. So I ask this woman behind the desk where the nearest toilet was and she did. However, I'm sure she said left at the bottom of the stairs not right, as I ended up lost for 20 mins and Big Boss guy had finished the meeting and had come looking for me and found me in the opposite side of the building to where the toliet was. He was pretty understand but annoyed but not as annoyed as me because I never had a pee!

Lol, you sound you're experiencing the typical work experience placement of a Year 10 pupil. The one thing I learnt after mine was that it's better to make the tea by putting the milk in last :smile:
timeofyourlife
Lol, you sound you're experiencing the typical work experience placement of a Year 10 pupil. The one thing I learnt after mine was that it's better to make the tea by putting the milk in last :smile:

oh, I'm doing work work but Andy was away today.
ZJuwelH
The phrase goes: all accountants are pessimists. Be careful now...

Prudence Concept.

A cornerstone of accounting.
Day 4 -
Today I did so much work it was unbelieveble! I left at 4:30 with 25 pages of full sums, analysis and other accountancy stuff! I only got to finish early because they could find anything else for me to do...

Tomorrow, I'll be spending the day with the wages clark, well acutally to morning because it is one of the partners birthday and we're finishing early to go to the pub and yes they know I'm tea total!

Later

Latest

Trending

Trending