if ure bigger does that mean u have a better immune system in general?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
coz today my friend has a cold and me and this other friend were arguin as she said id be more likely to catch it than her coz shes bigger therefore having a bigger and stronger immune system. childish i know lol but is it true coz ive neva heard it b4
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
nah doubt theres any corralation whatsoever. Except the one guy i know whos always ill is a little maggot.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
coz today my friend has a cold and me and this other friend were arguin sayin id be more likely to catch it than her coz shes bigger therefore having a bigger and stronger immune system. childish i know lol but is it true coz ive neva heard it b4
I'm not a scientist but I think the answer is no.

Your imune system (I think) depends on your past experiences id est chicken pox and your natural inherited genes etc.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
it seems common sense to say yes coz u cud sort of have more immunity if ure bigger eg more antibodies
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
it seems common sense to say yes coz u cud sort of have more immunity if ure bigger eg more antibodies
possilbly, although joey jonses arguement seems more convincing.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
possilbly, although joey johns arguement seems more convincing.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
crap i somehow screwed up trying to edit my last message and have done something really wierd.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Bigger bodies doesn't necessarily mean more antibodies. You could be 10 feet tall but have a really crap immune system which fails to function properly while you could be 4 feet tall but be pumping antibodies all around your body efficiently.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Bigger bodies doesn't necessarily mean more antibodies. You could be 10 feet tall but have a really crap immune system which fails to function properly while you could be 4 feet tall but be pumping antibodies all around your body efficiently.
Bigger bodies will mean more antibodies in total, but of course they will have to 'cover' a bigger amount. The antibody titre - that is amount of antibody in a ml of blood will be no more or less than a small person.
Like Joey Johns said, immune history and genes are the key. I'm just now doing some research into how some genes predispose you to a better response against some diseases, and a worse one against others. Like for instance, some o the best virus fighting genes also predispose you to auto-immune diseases. So it's all swings and roundabouts.
J
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I'm not a scientist but I think the answer is no.

Your imune system (I think) depends on your past experiences id est chicken pox and your natural inherited genes etc.
thats the first thing i actually agreed with you on!
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
That would be because thats common sense and not to do with national sports!
grrrr. swimming rocks. and you are kinda a stuck up preppie
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
coz today my friend has a cold and me and this other friend were arguin as she said id be more likely to catch it than her coz shes bigger therefore having a bigger and stronger immune system. childish i know lol but is it true coz ive neva heard it b4
It is certainly worth a thought. I know larger people are less susceptible to the cold.
Matt the cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
It is certainly worth a thought. I know larger people are less susceptible to the cold.
Thats because they are fatter and so are more insulated?
Jamie
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
It really isn't worth that much of a thought. It's just one of those things they choose not to tell you in school.
And to illustrate my point (though don't be thinking it means bigger people are weaker than smaller!) do you realise what the tallest man who ever lived died of?
At the ripe old age of mid 30s a small cut from his shoes (they were too small for him) got infected and he promptly got sepsis and died.
J
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No thats a complete lie....its about genetics....some ppl have a better immune system than others, i think it depends on ur fam/parents though....not sure.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i bet somewhere in some uni people are being made millions to try and prove or disprove this
Spc_K
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yep. that was me... first they paid me to prove it. When the cheque cleared i went over and gave them the statistical evidence disproving it. Mwaahhahaa!

but the answer is yes... seriously... it's 56% certain!
Jamie
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Spc_K)
yep. that was me... first they paid me to prove it. When the cheque cleared i went over and gave them the statistical evidence disproving it. Mwaahhahaa!

but the answer is yes... seriously... it's 56% certain!
What are you talking about!?!
Firstly size has no bearing to immune competency, and even if it does it is minor compared to other factors. This was worked out over a decade ago
Secondly 56% certain is not at all certain. 56% certain is 44% uncertain. If it was a vote it would fail
Thirdly in science you don't get paid to prove a theory. You get paid to test it's feasibility. If you were paid to prove something then you would just make up the results. That's the reason for science ethics.
And forthly (just for kicks) you were born in september 1984 and are apparently a 'gap year student' which means you are at best a fresher.
J
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
not true, my mum is a size 18 and 5''6 and shes always got a cold, its got nothing to do with it, its about what u eat and weather u have the correct vitamins to cope with viruses
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads