Which of these counties carries more prestige: Surrey, Hants, Berks, or Bucks? Watch

HonestBob
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
On the whole, residing in which of these counties carries with it the greatest social prestige:

Surrey
Hampshire
Berkshire
Buckinghamshire

And before somebody says it, please take note that we are all aware each of these counties contain both wealthy and impoverished areas. Yes, that is true. However, in most people's eyes these four counties carry well deserved reputations for being the homes of the majority of Britain's more affluent households. Therefore, most people would likely categorize, in their own minds, a pecking order of which of the four counties is the the most prestigous and lofty of that group.

So, which of these four would you consider the poshest of the posh? Feel free to add qualifiers and comments, but please spare me the over used rant of them all having good areas and bad areas. As stated above, we're all aware of that.

Remember, there's no right or wrong answer. I'm just trying to gather a collection of well thought out opinions.
ily_em
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no idea. I didn't realise there was a county pecking order :dontknow:
cvqw1278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Jesus TSR is even giving prestige to counties now!?!
roe5745
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dont know about the poshest one but I think that Hampshire is the least prestigous out of those because of Portsmouth and Southampton.
frank070691
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow.
K.H
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Each of these counties have crappy areas in them, but overall its definitely a 2 horse race between Berkshire and Surrey. ( Basically Ascot & Sunningdale vs Windsor )
therealOG
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Royal County of Berkshire.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say Hampshire. People forget Maidenhead is in Berkshire
babygirl110
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surrey and Oxfordshire for me. Unfortunately Oxfordshire is not in your list.

Hampshire is definitely a no.

I think Slough ruins it for Berks.
HonestBob
Rep:
?
(Original post by K.H)
Each of these counties have crappy areas in them, but overall its definitely a 2 horse race between Berkshire and Surrey. ( Basically Ascot & Sunningdale vs Windsor )
Aren't Ascot, Sunningdale and Windsor all in Berkshire? Which Surrey towns would compete against these three then in prestige?
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by babygirl110)
I think Slough ruins it for Berks.
Slough used to be part of Buckinghamshire, which seems a bit unfair. What did Berkshire get in return for taking Slough off their hands?

Although in reality, counties are sometimes meaningless. Berkshire is purely ceremonial, it serves no official administrative purpose as it's made up of unitary authorities.
emmanottinghil
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It seems a biased list - what about Cheshire (contains the most affluent postcodes in Britain outside Kensington & Chelsea), Gloucestershire (teeming with the very wealthy), North Yorkshire and Devon for example?

However, from your list as it stands, i would plump for Berkshire.
Marsha2112
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
Haha I live there, apart from a few nice areas - near town and by the river - it's turning a bit dumpy. We have 3 pound shops!
Oh and then there's Slough. Apart from having "royal" in the title and Windsor & Eton, there's nothing that stunning about Berkshire...I would say Surrey.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Marsha2112)
Haha I live there, apart from a few nice areas - near town and by the river - it's turning a bit dumpy. We have 3 pound shops!
Oh and then there's Slough. Apart from having "royal" in the title and Windsor & Eton, there's nothing that stunning about Berkshire...I would say Surrey.
Haha it was a little dig at my friend on here who is from Maidenhead. He's almost proud of the stick, preferring it to London. God knows why :lolwut:

Windsor itself is lovely though. Eton's OK too.
salty_candy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
I'm 'fortunate' enough to live in a council estate in maidenhead, It's just, er... "lovely" here

Windsor is really really pretty though, so I just go there as much as possible in order to not want to die from too much exposure to maids
Planar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emmanottinghil)
It seems a biased list - what about Cheshire (contains the most affluent postcodes in Britain outside Kensington & Chelsea), Gloucestershire (teeming with the very wealthy), North Yorkshire and Devon for example?

However, from your list as it stands, i would plump for Berkshire.
North Yorkshire!? Come on, it doesn't matter if it's rich - it's northern.

edit: and what's wrong with Suffolk? Easily the best name of all the counties.
Alex18cardiff
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
surrey i used to live their and its quite funny because penny hill park is oppostie a business estate and prince edward's house/ palace (i havent seen what it is just, the massive gate and the miles of poplar trees stopping anyone looking inside) is down the road from the garden centre xD

im not sure if sandhurst and deepcut are in surrey or over the border as i used to live in frimley, right on the berkshire, hampshire surrey border but if they are thats gotta be a bonus for surrey right?
Arekkusu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surrey far and away ahead of the others, I would say Hampshire next because people do tend to associate it with country estates I think, rather than with Southampton and Portsmouth. The other two are a bit more utilitarian I think.

I think there is prestige to be found outside the Home Counties, I'm from Gloucestershire, and if it's good enough for Prince Charles then it's good enough for anyone! Wiltshire too. Cheshire is the prestige capital of the North.
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You cannot be serious...

Prestigious counties?
HonestBob
Rep:
?
According to the government's office of National Statistics, Surrey leads in virtually every category measuring affluence: Average Gross Household Income, Median Gross Household Income, Per Capita Household Income, Real Estate Values, Average Levels of Educational Attainment, Greatest pecentage of employment in Higher Professional and Managerial Occupations, etc...

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/article...old_income.pdf

So, on the surface the most affluent county in England is definitely Surrey; however, that doesn't take into account people's perceptions. That's what I am interested in here, your opinions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%