Difference between biochemistry and biology!

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
watermelon
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
Hi, could some knowleadgeable person tell me plz the difference between biochemistry and biology?
i also am doubting which area includes molecular biology. I am doubting which to follow at imperial college... i would appreciate your comments (on biochem and biology). Thanx a lot
Radagasty
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by watermelon)
Hi, could some knowleadgeable person tell me plz the difference between biochemistry and biology?
i also am doubting which area includes molecular biology. I am doubting which to follow at imperial college... i would appreciate your comments (on biochem and biology). Thanx a lot
Well... I'm sure someone will post a more complete response, but, in short, biochemistry is chemistry, whereas biology is biology. (I know this sounds like a truism, but I think it is worth stating.)

In other words, biochemistry is the study of the chemistry of living things, whereas, biology is the study of living things in general. Molecular biology is biology insofar as it pertains to living things, but I think it is really a discipline of chemistry, and, to some extent, physics.
Asphyxiating
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
What Radagasty said is true, as far as I know anyway.. I'm also in doubt whether to follow Biochemistry of Chemical Engineering at Imperial.. but I will prolly go for Biochem seeing as Chem Eng has physics and loads of maths...and mechanics is something I don't want to see again!
picju96
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Biochemistry is the chemistry of biology, how pathways work, the little molecules that make it work etc etc. I hate that part of my course. I much prefer proper biology, microbiology, to an extent cell biology, although that isn't the best part. I'd go for biology, much more rounded biological sciences degree. Biochemists here have to do 2 labs a week, one with the chemistry department and one with the biology department. I couldn't handle that, labs are bad enough anyway!
crana
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by picju96)
Biochemistry is the chemistry of biology, how pathways work, the little molecules that make it work etc etc. I hate that part of my course. I much prefer proper biology, microbiology, to an extent cell biology, although that isn't the best part. I'd go for biology, much more rounded biological sciences degree. Biochemists here have to do 2 labs a week, one with the chemistry department and one with the biology department. I couldn't handle that, labs are bad enough anyway!
I think personally biochemistry has a stronger claim to being "proper biology"

Rosie
X
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (24)
30.77%
Take a gap year (14)
17.95%
Resit my exams (17)
21.79%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (11)
14.1%
I don't know yet (9)
11.54%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
3.85%

Watched Threads