Difference between biochemistry and biology!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
watermelon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi, could some knowleadgeable person tell me plz the difference between biochemistry and biology?
i also am doubting which area includes molecular biology. I am doubting which to follow at imperial college... i would appreciate your comments (on biochem and biology). Thanx a lot
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by watermelon)
Hi, could some knowleadgeable person tell me plz the difference between biochemistry and biology?
i also am doubting which area includes molecular biology. I am doubting which to follow at imperial college... i would appreciate your comments (on biochem and biology). Thanx a lot
Well... I'm sure someone will post a more complete response, but, in short, biochemistry is chemistry, whereas biology is biology. (I know this sounds like a truism, but I think it is worth stating.)

In other words, biochemistry is the study of the chemistry of living things, whereas, biology is the study of living things in general. Molecular biology is biology insofar as it pertains to living things, but I think it is really a discipline of chemistry, and, to some extent, physics.
Asphyxiating
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What Radagasty said is true, as far as I know anyway.. I'm also in doubt whether to follow Biochemistry of Chemical Engineering at Imperial.. but I will prolly go for Biochem seeing as Chem Eng has physics and loads of maths...and mechanics is something I don't want to see again!
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Biochemistry is the chemistry of biology, how pathways work, the little molecules that make it work etc etc. I hate that part of my course. I much prefer proper biology, microbiology, to an extent cell biology, although that isn't the best part. I'd go for biology, much more rounded biological sciences degree. Biochemists here have to do 2 labs a week, one with the chemistry department and one with the biology department. I couldn't handle that, labs are bad enough anyway!
crana
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by picju96)
Biochemistry is the chemistry of biology, how pathways work, the little molecules that make it work etc etc. I hate that part of my course. I much prefer proper biology, microbiology, to an extent cell biology, although that isn't the best part. I'd go for biology, much more rounded biological sciences degree. Biochemists here have to do 2 labs a week, one with the chemistry department and one with the biology department. I couldn't handle that, labs are bad enough anyway!
I think personally biochemistry has a stronger claim to being "proper biology"

Rosie
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (207)
42.95%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.35%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (193)
40.04%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.66%

Watched Threads