Repeating year 13 + Taking another AS+A2 level?

Watch
Xhotas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm currently going through my exams and obviously I'm hoping to meet my offers but I want to just make sure I have a backup if all falls flat really and I don't get anywhere through clearing.

If I were to repeat year 13, would I be able to pick up another AS+A2 level at the same time? I know a guy in my year who picked up an AS and A2 at the same time during his year 13 so the school allows it and obviously it'd depend on the block choices for the year as well but would it be allowed if I repeat the year?

The reason I ask is because I'm only doing General Studies, History and Theatre Studies at A2 (Both my Uni offers accept GS) because I dropped English because my school cocked up our exam technique and I thought I was just wasting my time with it so dropped it.

Thanks for any answers.
ChoYunEL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course you'll have to ask your school what is possible..
Looking at what you currently do, looks like you can, assuming you'll be sticking with History/Theater Studies again at A2 if it all goes to the dumps.

I'm assuming by AS+A2 is like doing the whole Maths course in a year?
Yeah, it's possible.. Have fun, most of the things you learn in AS is carried forward to A2 - it really depends on the course.
I subjects I do, I wouldn't recommend doing in a year unless your school does Further Maths. They teach the Maths A level in a year then Further Maths in a year.

Go back with English?
Xhotas
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChoYunEL)
Of course you'll have to ask your school what is possible..
Looking at what you currently do, looks like you can, assuming you'll be sticking with History/Theater Studies again at A2 if it all goes to the dumps.

I'm assuming by AS+A2 is like doing the whole Maths course in a year?
Yeah, it's possible.. Have fun, most of the things you learn in AS is carried forward to A2 - it really depends on the course.
I subjects I do, I wouldn't recommend doing in a year unless your school does Further Maths. They teach the Maths A level in a year then Further Maths in a year.

Go back with English?
I wasn't really thinking Maths, more psychology as it's always been something I've been interested in and looking through the AS textbook a while ago I thought it was pretty easy tbh. Although I'm saying this, it might be a complete shock but I'd happily put the time in to work at it, obviously :P Plus I know I'd be a lot more motivated if I had to repeat an entire year because I didn't work hard enough.

I'd rather die than go through another year of English.
ChoYunEL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths is the only subject I thought of at the top of my head (and I am so not doing maths revision this instance.)

Psychology I suppose is do-able.. You'll have to learn a lot about research methods and maybe cross over into the A2 modulus Essay mode.
Assuming it's AQA Psychology, I would say it is doable - to maybe understand what goes into the A2 exams is more tricky if you're playing with the AS exam as well.
CoolaClime Student
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think Year 13 is peatable because if you are in Year 13 now you'll be 17/18 yeah?, and by the time you finish it you'll be 18/19! There are not amny School's that let ppl stay on past 18 (even being generous).
ChoYunEL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Year 13 is more than repeatable.. Usually most repeats Year 12 though since that is 'easier'

Depends on the school mostly.
CoolaClime Student
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ChoYunEL)
Year 13 is more than repeatable.. Usually most repeats Year 12 though since that is 'easier'

Depends on the school mostly.
I doubt that Year 13 is repeatable somehow O.P, sorry. Year 12 "might" be, but I dunno!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CoolaClime Student)
I doubt that Year 13 is repeatable somehow O.P, sorry. Year 12 "might" be, but I dunno!
It certainly is.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Xhotas)
I'm currently going through my exams and obviously I'm hoping to meet my offers but I want to just make sure I have a backup if all falls flat really and I don't get anywhere through clearing.

If I were to repeat year 13, would I be able to pick up another AS+A2 level at the same time? I know a guy in my year who picked up an AS and A2 at the same time during his year 13 so the school allows it and obviously it'd depend on the block choices for the year as well but would it be allowed if I repeat the year?

The reason I ask is because I'm only doing General Studies, History and Theatre Studies at A2 (Both my Uni offers accept GS) because I dropped English because my school cocked up our exam technique and I thought I was just wasting my time with it so dropped it.

Thanks for any answers.
If your school is willing to let you, then yes its perfectly possible. I know someone who is doing exactly that. Of course certain universities such as UCL, LSE, Edinburgh & St Andrews will not except A-Levels taken over 3 years, but most other universities are fine with this.
Xhotas
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
If your school is willing to let you, then yes its perfectly possible. I know someone who is doing exactly that. Of course certain universities such as UCL, LSE, Edinburgh & St Andrews will not except A-Levels taken over 3 years, but most other universities are fine with this.
Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to make sure I clear it with my Head of Sixth Form should everything mess up during my exams

I wasn't really aiming for any of the major top tier uni's in the first place but that's not a problem, I'll check the universities and make sure their okay with it before I apply.
CoolaClime Student
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It certainly is.
What, when you'd be knocking on 19 ... i doubt that!
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CoolaClime Student)
What, when you'd be knocking on 19 ... i doubt that!
Of course. Education is free for all until your 19. 6th form is for 16-19 year olds. I know of a number of 19 year olds repeating yr13, and I repeated part of yr13 myself (although I went to a fee paying college for that).
CoolaClime Student
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course. Education is free for all until your 19. 6th form is for 16-19 year olds. I know of a number of 19 year olds repeating yr13, and I repeated part of yr13 myself (although I went to a fee paying college for that).
... and consider this - Year 11's are 15/16 year old's, Year 12's 16 & 17 and Year 13's are 17/18 ... if you repeat Year 13 then you could be bordering on 20! As if this can be so :eek:
Mehraniam
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi guys, so i'm having a situation here and any piece of information would be such a huge favour.
So i applied to this sixth form in another city (Birmingham) to do my A2 courses ( right now i'm doing AS in london ) or if i didn't get the sufficient grade for their A2 requirements, reset my AS year again.
They accepted me 4 months ago, and now just today i receive this letter saying i cant reset my AS year or finish my A2 if i don't get 3 AS Grade C+

All this after me moving to birmingham for that specific college, i mean is this even right? They offered me a place with a formal letter and now they tell me the offer was conditional ?
Isn't the fact that it's conditional and it's conditions get to me after my interview ? not after being offered a place and be given it's conditions 4 months later?

Any ideas if this is even legal or not or anything would be really use full
KanchiKadam
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Guys, my birth date is 4th may 1995, And I just gave my A2 exams, I;m pretty sure I would have to repeat the A2 year. Is it possible for me to do that?? I;m really scared
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads