The Student Room Group

I have depression, failing my a levels exams, can I contact the uni to tell them?

Please no mean comments and yes I understand that everyone is stressed at the moment but this is different...
So for the past month or so I've been feeling really depressed as in actual depression.
I'm talking about the type when you lie in bed for hours not wanting to move, you don't really have an appetite, contemplating suicide, nothing makes you happy, trouble sleeping etc. The last thing on my mind is revision, I've tried to look at some work but it makes me feel worse so I've largely been avoiding it.
I get decent grades and before this started I had been working quite hard, but my exams are next week and I'm not at all prepared for them and can tell I'm not going to get the grades I need for uni (can't afford to retake next year due to tuition fees).
I haven't been to see a doctor as I DO NOT WANT to be put on anti-depressents as I don't want to rely on them for the rest of my life.
My first choice uni has said in the past that if you're ill on the day of the exam or there are special circumstances that could affect your overall grade then you should e-mail them to inform them so they might consider you.
Depression is an illness and it's going to have negative consequences on my results so do you think I should write to them?
P.S I have been a previous sufferer of depression (I had it two years ago and had to see a counselor).
Reply 1
Doctors will not put you on anti depressants unless you agree to it, go to the doctors for an official diagnosis, or nobody is going to listen to you, sadly :/
Reply 2
Much as you don't want to be on anti-depressants, it will help your case with the Uni immensely. You should consider going to the Doctors.
Yes. I definitely would advise you to contact them.
However, for them to take you seriously, you will need a doctor's note - so you'll HAVE to go to see a doctor. I very much doubt that despite your previous suffering any university will accept a self diagnosis.
Reply 4
Yes, you should, it's clearly not your fault, i know people who suffer from depression and i can't even begin to imagine what it's like for you on top of everything else, you definately should contact them, you've got nothing to lose, whole heartedly hope you feel better soon :heart:
Reply 5
I was the same as you OP; read this it's really helpful :smile:

Before we start, we need to get rid of the one thing that stops all students from getting good grades. No, it’s not Facebook. It’s fear. We’re so afraid of failing we trick ourselves into losing faith. Whatever you do, never, ever think you’re a failure. That word, that thought, will destroy everything. We’re going to quickly try to take that out of the equation.

So, what I want you to do is the following. Take a bit of paper and a pen. Write down 3 words that constantly torment you, that batter your confidence and leave you feeling helpless. I know this sound kooky, but just stick with me okay. Back when I did this my 3 words were:
? Failure
? Inferior
? No confidence

Now look at those words. Think about what they mean to you. Memories, fears, scenarios, let it flow through you. Take the piece of paper and rip it into as many pieces as you can. (If your mum happens to walk in at this moment just smile politely and tell her she’s lost weight.) But, after ripping up that piece of paper, you have sub consciously helped yourself lose some of that fear you had. You’re already more confident and sure. You see, a massive part of doing exceptionally well in your exams and coursework is all down to your mentality and approach. A lot of students think of one small failure, and exaggerate it. This is called the slippery slope.

For example:
“if I don’t get at least a B in this exam I won’t get an A overall, which means I won’t get into my university, which means I’ll have to work at a hotdog stand, which means I’ll get fired because I don’t even like hotdogs, which means I’ll end up on the street, which means I’ll end up joining a gang, which means I’ll have to kill someone to get initiated into their clan, which means I’ll be a MURDERER!”

This is a classic example of the slippery slope. If you have this problem- calm down. Breathe, and forget about failure, focus on the present.

I used to doubt myself all the time. I would second guess answers and feel I was no good, because the grades weren’t top notch. It was as soon as I changed that people would be coming up to me asking for help.

Remember, failure is not a person (unless you count George W.Bush but that’s another story). You are not a failure, and you never will be. Don’t see it as a reflection on how good you are, or how you’ll end up in life.

The human mind is made to succeed. If you tell your mind to do something, by its default setting, it will succeed by any means necessary. It’s just all our fears and doubts that mess with that programming, meaning it doesn’t work properly. For the IT boffs, see your fear like a virus. It will spread rapidly if you let it.

Quick hint: These grades aren’t everything. If you’re working your ass off, you’re afraid that you’ll fail. If you’re not studying enough you’re afraid of trying and failing. Embed that confidence in yourself- that self-worth and great things will follow. Throw yourself head first into your work, try your best and watch what happens.

Afraid of what others will say? Ask yourself, what have they really done for you? Your mentality is the base for getting A’s. 40% of my technique relies on my mentality.If you hit a brick wall, say ouch and plough through it. If failure trips you up, spit in its face and walk on. No one’s going to hunt you down with an AK-47 if you get a C. These exams, the coursework; is all a chance for you to prove how gifted you are.

So step 1, forget the fear. The stress will leave you miserable, and I have never got an A or A* while I was miserable. You need to be happy with yourself and not let your emotions dictate your intelligence. I’m going to give you the top 3 ways to build confidence. Why am I telling you this? Well, see it like giving a car a fresh paint job and MOT before driving it. I have tried this myself and given the advice to countless friends. All of them have given me the thumbs up. So, read on for total confidence!

See getting that A like cooking a meal. First, you need to wash your equipment, which is what building confidence is. Then I’ll tell you how to mix the right ingredients and pop it in the oven (that’s the exam).
Note: A grades are not edible and should not be consumed under any circumstances

Confidence booster:
1. Spend time with friends, or people who appreciate you. This does wonders for confidence, as we sub consciously judge ourselves on how our company reacts to us. Laughing is also great for relieving stress.
2. Stand tall. If you slouch or have your hands in your pockets, try standing straight and tall. This gives you a confidence boost and will also show other people you have self-esteem.
3. Be open, speak your mind and smile. No one will hate you for speaking up; you deserve to be heard just as much as the next guy or girl. Keep this to a limit though, I once asked a woman on a bus when her baby was due. She wasn’t pregnant.

Have something, anything to motivate you. I had my background as a Bugatti Veyron. I know passing my A-levels didn’t mean I was much closer, but knowing that passing them meant I may have it one day was a massive boost and kept me going on rough days. Small things like this do help. Oh, and guys, keep it realistic. Getting an A* does not mean Beyoncé will fall madly in love with you.

Quick tip: for success, you need to have oodles of Discipline, Determination and Dedication.

Don’t ever underestimate the power of your thoughts. I had a friend who was predicted 4 A’s at A-level, she was a real high flyer. She was the type of person who would giggle and tell you your epidermis was showing (epidermis is “skin” by the way). She was also a big worrier. She stressed like crazy and really gave it her all. She came out with a B, 2 C’s and a D. She was a nervous wreck by the end of the year, she ended up breaking down. She dealt with sleepless nights and a damaged mental state. Take your education seriously, but don’t let it affect your health, keep your thinking positive and stay consistent. The way you think is
very important, some schools, including my old one, have invested millions in “learning to learn” schemes. Unfortunately, they’re painfully boring, but it goes to show that the way you think is key to success.
Yes, I have the same problem, except it's for as levels. It's awful considering all the work it's taken to get to this point for something like this to happen but I think you should go to the doctor. They won't put you anti-depressants if you don't want them.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice everyone I think I'll make a doctors appointment. I saw my doctor for the same reason two years ago and Im on record as having mild depression back then so hopefully they'll take me seriously. I hope the uni don't think I'm just someone whos left revision to the last minute, regretted it and is now trying to find a way out. :/
I have no experiance of depression but it sounds like you need to see a doctor. After you have a diagnosis then you can try contacting the unis. You may be able to get a mark allowance in exams if you are ill at the time of taking them, although I don't know if depression counts and I know they don't make allowances for lost reision time. I know you don't want to rely on them but if I were you I would take as much medication as I can get my hands on. It may be a bit late now if exams are only a week away because I think antidepressants take longer than that to work but I would explain the situtation and see if there is anything he could give me. I would take the strongest stuff I could persuade him to prescribe, its a week until your most important exams of your life and you can worry about coming off them in a couple of weeks time. You shouldn't have any problem coming off them if you only take them for a bit
Original post by Anonymous
Please no mean comments and yes I understand that everyone is stressed at the moment but this is different...
So for the past month or so I've been feeling really depressed as in actual depression.
I'm talking about the type when you lie in bed for hours not wanting to move, you don't really have an appetite, contemplating suicide, nothing makes you happy, trouble sleeping etc. The last thing on my mind is revision, I've tried to look at some work but it makes me feel worse so I've largely been avoiding it.
I get decent grades and before this started I had been working quite hard, but my exams are next week and I'm not at all prepared for them and can tell I'm not going to get the grades I need for uni (can't afford to retake next year due to tuition fees).
I haven't been to see a doctor as I DO NOT WANT to be put on anti-depressents as I don't want to rely on them for the rest of my life.
My first choice uni has said in the past that if you're ill on the day of the exam or there are special circumstances that could affect your overall grade then you should e-mail them to inform them so they might consider you.
Depression is an illness and it's going to have negative consequences on my results so do you think I should write to them?
P.S I have been a previous sufferer of depression (I had it two years ago and had to see a counselor).

I think you should inform the uni... Even though you don't want medicinal treatment I think you should go to the doctor...

I have been a depression sufferer, and, I got relived without doctor (society in my country is not sympathetic towards people suffering depression...And there isn't really good treatment for depression here, they want patients to be admitted in phsychological treatment centre for 6 months), so if you want to talk, feel free to PM me.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous

I am in exactly the same situation as you. Sitting A2s, have had depression for as long as I can remember. I asked about this at open day, they say that universities really appreciate you telling them things like this. Before my university application went through, my school wrote a letter that went with it explaining the situation, and in no way does it count against you. Having SAID that, I asked my school if they could write to the exam boards to ask for special consideration because I have been so ill that I lost my memory (so exams are rather difficult), but apparently because it's an "ongoing thing" they can't do anything... It would definitely be worth writing to them, or even perhaps ask your doctor to write to them, as that might have more weight.

Definitely go and see a doctor though. Treatment doesn't work for everyone (for me it didn't) but it does for most people. Depression really is a horrible illness and anyone who has it would give nearly everything they have to be rid of it. I really hope you feel better soon! :smile: x
Go have a chat with the doctor - depression sucks but it can be managed - this is coming from someone who thought they'd end up being housebound due to anxiety and depression, through medication I'm slowly getting my life back x
There's always light just try your best but your health is mostly important honestly! Just take one test at a time. As for depression goals and running help a lot get a goal or a dream and work towards also surround yourself around good people and your go far! Keep the hope we all go through this mine was quite recently! The sun will always come up! Life has to balance out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending