Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "Goodwill on earth and peace to all men women people."
    Thus spake an optimistic oik in times past.
    But is genuine goodwill a thing of the past? Is there room for it in today's society? Or is it a dinosaurial sentiment that belongs in the past?
    Forget that it's Xmas, (when people by and large seem to be a little happier and more responsive anyway), and answer the poll - qualifying your vote wherever possible.

ReputationRep:
    I always smile when i walk by someone, and if they say hello i say it back. I find old people and people with dogs the most talkative

ReputationRep:
    I like it when old people talk randomly to me bus queues are usually the best, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting point ol' bod.

Goodwill is fast disappering I agree, but I smile at people all the time and would say hello back if someone said hello. Its all the consequence of a more 'liberal' and 'mind your own business' culture, especially in inner cities.

ReputationRep:
    look confused and smile nervously.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably smile, quietly say hello and panic over who they were and how I had managed to forget them
    I'm a randomly smiley person anyway

ReputationRep:
    Ditto pikaboo, I love random conversations with strangers, esp anyone who likes to complain (sorry to stereotype, older ladies at bus stops!)

ReputationRep:
    Say hi back, not to do so would be rude.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm the type of girl who doesn't look intimidating so I always get asked directions and stuff. And I have a Northern accent so Durham locals are always willing to chat :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would look at them in a confused way and pretend I didn't know them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Interesting point ol' bod.
    *thinks: damn, the disguise didn't work* :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I love chatting with strangers - you meet the weirdest people on buses and trains

Last time I went on a long journey, I bumped into a chap making the exact same journey, and a Chinese girl who barely spoke English. The Chinese girl I shepherded to her next train, and made sure she knew when to get off, the other chap stuck to me for the whole journey to chat.

He was darned lucky he met me actually, because he fell asleep on the way, and I had to literally shake him awake while the train was standing at the station we were supposed to be changing at :rolleyes: It was quite funny to see his expression changing from bewilderment as to why some random stranger was shaking him, through rememberance of who I was, to the sudden realisation he was about to miss his connection :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably nod and smile, but be rather suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    I smile back, like a non-teeth smile usually, so no beam of happiness just a polite smile or nod. Although once, (you're gonna laugh at this), this woman who I'd never seen/met before walked past and smiled and said "Hiya" quite enthusiastically, so I did my non-teeth smile back and said "Hi" (just to be polite), and then she looked at me all funny and went, "I don't even *****ing know ya!" :eek: :p:

ReputationRep:
    I tend to randomly smile and say hello to people in the street. Although generally Canadians are a bit more friendly and chatty to randomers than Brits are. I like chatting to people I don't know..it keeps me entertained.

ReputationRep:
    I'll say hello back. I'll chat to anyone in queues or at bus stops - because most people just want to pass the time, like you.

I'd smile back, but probably not say hello. But then feel bad for not saying hello.

Or if I do say it I'd say it in a stupid way, somehow.

ReputationRep:
    It depends.If they say it so I don't get a chance to say hi back before I've walked past,I don't reply.However if I do have the chance,I smile and say hi and wonder why they said hi...

ReputationRep:
    Talking to strangers is nice, they are sometimes really wierd and scary, which is fun, generally good will's going out, when we're old and saying hello to kids on the street, they'll probably pop their nine on us for our pension money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave)
    *thinks: damn, the disguise didn't work* :p:
    The flag and the siggy gives you away

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.