The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Honest opinion on Pharmacy?

Hey guys I'm looking to do Pharmacy at Kingston Uni and I was wondering wether any current Pharmacy Students could comment on whats good and bad about the course, Uni life. the town, the facilities and anything else you can think of?
Please be honest as anyone can go to the open day and hear the Uni trying to sell itself to prospective students.

Thanks a bunch. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hi there !!

I would like to tell you something .....please don't go to Kingston university to study Pharmacy. I think one of the worst university in Pharmacy department not only in UK ,but Also the whole world.....At the moment am 3rd year Pharmacy student in Kingston .....the reason why I said is bad university ...

1) it has a bad reputation by failing too many of students e.g in 2011 30 students failed in 2nd year ,because , the passing grad is higher than compare to other Pharmacy school which is 50 and 60 % ,but in other university the passing mark is 40%

2) the quality of teaching is very poor.
3) the teachers are very rude and disorganized.
4)most of teachers are very racist and they are unfriendly ,the don't like helping people.
5) there is no independent body to complain about it, but ,if u complain to student union ...the will revenge you on ur exam paper while the mark it.
6) 80 percent of the students are unhappy coming to Kingston university.

before its too late ,you better going to other Pharmacy school

good luck
(edited 12 years ago)
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
I thought it was not very good yes but this makes it sound appalling.
Reply 3
Can't stress how right smartdonkey is.

I'm doing Pharmaceutical & Chemical Sciences at the moment - the foundation year for Pharmacy.

And sometimes, we have classes and lab work with MPharm students.
The attitude of the staff and the way they treat you is absolutely disgusting.

Tbh, its not even a question on strictness but just the fact they're rude and genuinely don't want to help.
Come in 1 minute, yes 1 minute after 9 a.m. - you're out the door.
Reply 4
Original post by ZeeKay91
Can't stress how right smartdonkey is.

I'm doing Pharmaceutical & Chemical Sciences at the moment - the foundation year for Pharmacy.

And sometimes, we have classes and lab work with MPharm students.
The attitude of the staff and the way they treat you is absolutely disgusting.

Tbh, its not even a question on strictness but just the fact they're rude and genuinely don't want to help.
Come in 1 minute, yes 1 minute after 9 a.m. - you're out the door.

I was really looking forward to doing pharmacy at Kingston :frown: I really wanted to live in London! Do you not recommend Kingston then even though you said the course itself is great?
Reply 5
Its up to you.
In all fairness, I don't know what the other universities are like.
The university itself is pretty great, 24 hour library and stuff.
But personally I wouldn't recommend Pharmacy here - mainly based on the lecturers' attitude.
My broth

I am advising you not to go Kingston. You will be sad all ur life.
you will waste ur money and time.

trust me.....go Hertfordshire ....you will enjoy your course ...I have a friend who studies there ...they are good pulse Its no far from London.

Kingston staff are there to make money ,can you Imagen , there 150 students in the 3 year ,other uni max the have is 70-80 students....do you know what the planning to do with 150 students ...they wanna fail them like as always ,because they made money the last 3 years from this students so now the time to get rid off them without any qualification.that's why they taking a lot of students with low grade from the begging......so sad

I don't know why Royal British pharmacy society give them accreditation or they don't checking them .?

take my word and good luck
I agree with smartdonkey and zeekay... please I'm actually begging you don't come to kingston for pharmacy it is the most appalling university for pharmacy I have never seen lecturers that actually enjoy failing people.

It's true that if you ever complain they will make it their mission to bring your grade down or fail you.

If they don't like you (and there doesnt have to be a reason for them not liking you!) they will again make sure your grade is brought down or you fail. They have done this in the past where a lecturer told a student that they dislike that her exam answers had coincidentally gone missing and so she failed and had to retake!

On top of these things there's just the fact that they are so stingy! other unis give their students 10 pounds printing credit every year and they give you all the lecture notes. Kingston doesnt do either of those things... there are people doing their 4th year projects and even though the university is meant to print things out for them the lecturers lied to them and told them they had to print it out themselves.

If you ever need help financially and you go to cooper house for help they treat you so disgustingly.. it's hard enough to be in that position where you have to ask for money without them looking down at you and treating you like filth... and having the nerve to say to you "get a job" without even knowing anything about you or your situation...

There's no respect no compassion no professionalism... avoid this uni at all cost! Medway is MUCH better I wish I went there when I had the chance!

Good luck
Reply 8
I glad i didnt apply to this uni. One of freinds was about to firm kingston for pharmacy. Im glad he didnt in the end.
Reply 9
Original post by smartdonkey
hi there !!

I would like to tell you something .....please don't go to kingston university to study pharmacy. I think one of the worst university in pharmacy department not only in uk ,but also the whole world.....at the moment am 3rd year pharmacy student in kingston .....the reason why i said is bad university ...

1) it has a bad reputation by failing too many of students e.g in 2011 30 students failed in 2nd year ,because , the passing grad is higher than compare to other pharmacy school which is 50 and 60 % ,but in other university the passing mark is 40%

4)most of teachers are very racist and they are unfriendly ,the don't like helping people.
5) there is no independent body to complain about it, but ,if u complain to student union ...the will revenge you on ur exam paper while the mark it.
6) 80 percent of the students are unhappy coming to kingston university.

Before its too late ,you better going to other pharmacy school

good luck

heyyy!!! Iv applied to kingston university for pharmacy is it that bad? What is the social life like are the clubs and things good? And is it multicultural? Is it expensive?? Btw it has to go as my insurance choice its the only lowest offer uni i have
hi there !!

I would like to tell you something .....please don't go to Kingston university to study Pharmacy. I think one of the worst university in Pharmacy department not only in UK ,but Also the whole world.....At the moment am 3rd year Pharmacy student in Kingston .....the reason why I said is bad university ...

1) it has a bad reputation by failing too many of students e.g in 2011 30 students failed in 2nd year ,because , the passing grad is higher than compare to other Pharmacy school which is 50 and 60 % ,but in other university the passing mark is 40%

good luck

Wow some comments are very biased by the look of it. I am a Medical Biochemistry student going to the third year and share many modules with pharmacy students. I must say that some students seem unhappy with the course but others like myself quite enjoy the lectures, modules and university life.
There is no basis for most things said in this previous comment:
1) How can a Uni have reputation of failing students? This statement is flawed per se. A student is responsible for its own success at Uni, differently from A levels when teachers spoon feed students. I actually know some students achieving very high grades.
2) Not all teachers are good at Kingston but a lot are. I have had very passionate and knowledgeable teachers during my first two years which helped me understand the lecture material.
4) If you have grounds for calling any one racist you should make a formal complaint against the person and not do nothing about it and then generalise about it in a forum.
In point 5) there is actually formal complaints procedures if you are dissatisfied with any staff or marks you receive. I know because I have complained against a received mark, which was corrected afterwards. There is no way that the a tutor would revenge you marking your exams!! That's just absurd, first because when you do the exams you actually have to glue a paper on top of your name so the staff correcting your exam will not see who has written it and second because most tutors want their students to do well on exams as it is proof of their own teaching abilities.
In point 6) How do you know 80% of students are unhappy with their course at Kingston? Have you actually carried out a research with students at Kingston? The website Unistats have done so and found out that the percentage of students satisfied with their course is actually high at Kingston, for Biological sciences it is 91%.
Reply 11
Original post by jessie*lou
Wow some comments are very biased by the look of it. I am a Medical Biochemistry student going to the third year and share many modules with pharmacy students. I must say that some students seem unhappy with the course but others like myself quite enjoy the lectures, modules and university life.
There is no basis for most things said in this previous comment:
1) How can a Uni have reputation of failing students? This statement is flawed per se. A student is responsible for its own success at Uni, differently from A levels when teachers spoon feed students. I actually know some students achieving very high grades.
2) Not all teachers are good at Kingston but a lot are. I have had very passionate and knowledgeable teachers during my first two years which helped me understand the lecture material.
4) If you have grounds for calling any one racist you should make a formal complaint against the person and not do nothing about it and then generalise about it in a forum.
In point 5) there is actually formal complaints procedures if you are dissatisfied with any staff or marks you receive. I know because I have complained against a received mark, which was corrected afterwards. There is no way that the a tutor would revenge you marking your exams!! That's just absurd, first because when you do the exams you actually have to glue a paper on top of your name so the staff correcting your exam will not see who has written it and second because most tutors want their students to do well on exams as it is proof of their own teaching abilities.
In point 6) How do you know 80% of students are unhappy with their course at Kingston? Have you actually carried out a research with students at Kingston? The website Unistats have done so and found out that the percentage of students satisfied with their course is actually high at Kingston, for Biological sciences it is 91%.

Heyyy can you tell me if the accomdation is cheap once you leave the halls??? and is the club scene good?? and do people tend to leave kingston and go to other areas in london or stay in kingston?
I think once you leave the halls you're pretty much free to live either on the surrounding areas or other part of London, like I did. You could have a look at prices of rent in websites such as spareroom.com.
There is a a very popular night club called Oceana at Kingston town hall and lots of pubs around as well.
I don't get your last question, are you referring to moving out of Kingston or just partying in other areas? I think it is down to each student some prefer staying in Kingston and some don't. I think the area is beautiful and have everything you need, lots of shops, supermarkets and Richmond park is also not far away.
So if they fail students, how did you get to third year? Abit confused about this! :cool:

hi there !!

good luck
I like Kingston university teaching, beg to differ with my fellow colleage Smartdonkey.

Every university wants to be on top the league table,Kingston started its course a few years back and want to meet the standards of the other London universities.

Our clinical teaching team work very hard to make sure we understand the course. Every university may have teachers who are very research based and so do we.
University is about putting in that 90% of the effort, teachers are there to give u that 10%, don't expect to be spoonfed and sit here moaning about the university, do your own extra 90% and you won't score as bad marks.

Beg my fursiousness! I can not stand someone criticizing the university they study at when they won't do the work!

I would recommend anyone with a spirit to excel to join Kingston for a pharmacy course.
(edited 11 years ago)
My brother or sister .....I think u doing Medical Biochemistry ...stick with ur course work hard and I wish u success.....but am not talking about Medical Biochemistry department...I am talking about Pharmacy course...plus am not talking about the whole department ....

for they reply u made in 5 and 6
for reply 5 ...there is, as u said ....but ur life is in their hand ....they will do what ever they like systematically which is obvious we have experiencing it and previous students did as well ...

for reply 6.... all students complaining to me and my friends ,because we are student Representative to our class ....

finally...stick ur department again which is Medical Biochemistry ...am not here to write down hate or negative thing ....am here to show the truth....because as a student rep...we have tired a lot to sort out things ...but its impossible ...the only way we cross our message this way .....

all the best
Reply 17
Ok im starting to worry lol, i know im not doing pharmacy but kingston is my insurance choice for forensic science and investigative analysis.. Do any of the existing students know what this course is like at kingston?
Any information would be appreciated! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sod1umm
heyyy!!! Iv applied to kingston university for pharmacy is it that bad? What is the social life like are the clubs and things good? And is it multicultural? Is it expensive?? Btw it has to go as my insurance choice its the only lowest offer uni i have

I'l tell u how bad it is... one colleague of mine dropped out and transferred to Wolverhampton University for Pharmacy and wolves pharmacy is cr@p as it is...
Reply 19
Hi,
I just would like to ask if Kingston is good at teaching, I mean, even if they are not very helpful or supportive, do you feel you have learnt a lot and you are a confident pharmacist?
I would like to go into industrial pharmacy thus I need to really know the stuff.
Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending