Anyone been to Syria?W

Watch
username652226
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
xyz
Last edited by username652226; 1 year ago
SarcasticSmile
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Well I haven't been, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Syria death toll rises amid violent government crackdown on protests
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Couldn;t have chose a worse time to decide to visit Syria. At ths period of time, i would advise not to. Previously, i would have stated that it was worth visiting
karateworm
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I'd leave it alone, right now... wait for democracy to rock up first.
Garp
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Go to Israel instead !
RTom
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I went about two years ago to Damascus, some really interesting historical sites and the culture is pretty cool. Was certainly an experience and exactly what I expected. Occasionally I felt a little bit of hostility almost from locals, but nothing major.

So I would recommend it - obviously not now though.
username652226
Rep:
(Original post by Garp)
Go to Israel instead !
You mean Palestine*, already been pal.
username652226
Rep:
(Original post by karateworm)
I'd leave it alone, right now... wait for democracy to rock up first.
That's every reason to go!
Help our comrades in their plight to establish democracy.
gm15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by merryhappy)
Also why do you offer Israel as an alternative?
Probably because even israel is safer than syria right now
gm15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Oh yeah cos that's what's missing in their fight for democracy....a student from glasgow
username652226
Rep:
(Original post by gm15)
Oh yeah cos that's what's missing in their fight for democracy....a student from glasgow
Pff don't patronise me, you know nothing about me. The fact I'm a student does not define me nor does where I reside.

The collective power of the masses (inc students) destroyed Mubarak, organised resistance despite the repression of the state machinery. What is happening now in Syria is the continuation of the Arab Spring.
gm15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Pff don't patronise me, you know nothing about me. The fact I'm a student does not define me nor does where I reside.

The collective power of the masses (inc students) destroyed Mubarak, organised resistance despite the repression of the state machinery. What is happening now in Syria is the continuation of the Arab Spring.
My point wasn't against you being a student or being from glasgow...just that 1 solitary glaswegian student who probably doesn't speak the local language isn't going to win them the battle. No need to blab on about the general nature of the arab spring.
gm15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Firstly, I am not blabing.
You're not the one to employ tact are you?
Also why do you assume that I probably don't speak the local language? As a matter of fact I do.

It took one person to inspire the revolutions, the people have more power than they think. The collective power of the masses will win the battle.

Your lack of empathy is outstanding.
Well yes you are: I point out that you aren't the one thing they are missing and you go off about the power of the masses in the arab spring. Yeah the more people the better but thatt hey are locals is the important bit. Trying to revolt against a despot who happens to be paranoid about foreign intervention? What do you really need? One lone foreigner.

Language: Well most users on here probably don't speak it. Its a fair assumption. You do speak it...well done. But by saying you probably don't speak it doesn't mean i'm saying its impossible that you might.

One person to inspire: yes but he had suffered injustice at the hands of the regime and set himself on fire. Have you? And are you going to be burning yourself?

Lack of empathy: Where did i lack empathy? Did i dismiss the plight of the syrians or any other opressed part of the regime? Did i belittle their protests?
Answer - no

I have every sympathy for the sysrians and other oppressed peoples...i questioned how much use YOU would be to them.

I'm actually really offended that just because I doubt how much use you would be to them (and think you are a tad arrogant...is that the word?) you assume I have no empathy for their plight of syrians
harvie_316
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=31941821
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Your just asking to get yourself shot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads