The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

heya! im also considering durham and looking for some more info from other applicants/students (:
i go to an european school and the requested average is 8.5. My current average is between 8.4 and 8.8 (exams start next week so yeah, not sure yet) so im pretty sure ill manage to fulfil the requirement. i am interested in philosophy, ppe and law, and durham caught my attention because of its good place in ranking lists (though i know that does not reflect the reality of the university but you gotta start somewhere, right?) and all the good reviews i read. im going to visit on the 2nd of july and im really looking forward to it (:
one cool thing i heard, some scenes from harry potter have been filmed somewhere in durham :tongue:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by neverlander¾
heya! im also considering durham and looking for some more info from other applicants/students (:
i go to an european school and the requested average is 8.5. My current average is between 8.4 and 8.8 (exams start next week so yeah, not sure yet) so im pretty sure ill manage to fulfil the requirement. i am interested in philosophy, ppe and law, and durham caught my attention because of its good place in ranking lists (though i know that does not reflect the reality of the university but you gotta start somewhere, right?) and all the good reviews i read. im going to visit on the 2nd of july and im really looking forward to it (:
one cool thing i heard, some scenes from harry potter have been filmed somewhere in durham :tongue:

haha well, harry potter has been filmed there :smile:
i'm visiting on the 2nd of july also!
Original post by student1234567891
haha well, harry potter has been filmed there :smile:

one more reason to walk around the halls in a cloak carrying chunky books and waving a wand.

i'm visiting on the 2nd of july also!

seriously? what subjects? unfortunately i booked late and there werent any free spots for philo and economics, but i asked to be informed if somebody changes their mind and cancels...
one more reason to walk around the halls in a cloak carrying chunky books and waving a wand.

seriously? what subjects? unfortunately i booked late and there werent any free spots for philo and economics, but i asked to be informed if somebody changes their mind and cancels...

i'm going to look at geography :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yo guys, as a graduand I'll just pop in and say good luck to everyone =]
Reply 6
Hey :smile:
I'm looking to study Business Finance at Durham University which is on the Queen's Campus, Stockton. My GCSE results were A*AAAAABBBBBB. I hope to achieve ABBC in my A2 subjects :smile: I went to the Queen's Campus open day on Friday and I think it's great; I like the fact that everything is very compact for example Stevenson College Accomodation (where I hope to live) is across the road from where my lectures will be, the gym is next door etc but at the same time there are plenty of towns and cities locally :smile: is anyone else thinking of doing this course? what other universities are you all looking at?
Reply 7
I received A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A at GCSE, and am probably going to look to study a pure maths degree at Durham. In my AS modules i ahcieved 100% in unit 1 business, 99/120 in physics unit 1, and 100, 97 and 89 in C1, C2 and S1 respectively in Maths. I a m predicted A*A*A and if i do not get into Cambridge, durham is next on my list. As for why i want to go, it justs eems a friendly place, a lovely stting, not too expensive to live and enarer to my home than London :smile:

WHY SO MANY NEGS?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
so, this is the new thread for everyone thinking of applying to Durham University for 2012 entry!

Give the following details if you can:
GCSE results
Predicted AS results
What do you want to study?
Why do you like about Durham?
Any other cool stuff you've heard or know about the uni :smile:

just so i can weigh up the competition :wink:

only joking!

GCSEs: A*AAAAABBBB
Predicted AS results: ABBB - AABB (Probably, haven't been given them yet)
Looking to study Economics or PPE.
Durham seems to be a suitable place to live, I don't really mind about the university lifestyle.

"The cloisters of Durham Cathedral, in the northeast, became the snowy quadrangle of ‘Hogwarts’, where Harry sets the owl flying." [http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/h/harry_potter1.html]

It's awesome when you're queuing up for matriculation and realise this. XD
(edited 12 years ago)
GCSE results: A*A*AAAAAAAAA
Predicted AS results: AAAAB (general studies)
What do you want to study? : geography BSc

i hope i get in!
Original post by TRLMaths
I received A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A at GCSE, and am probably going to look to study a pure maths degree at Durham. In my AS modules i ahcieved 100% in unit 1 business, 99/120 in physics unit 1, and 100, 97 and 89 in C1, C2 and S1 respectively in Maths. I a m predicted A*A*A and if i do not get into Cambridge, durham is next on my list. As for why i want to go, it justs eems a friendly place, a lovely stting, not too expensive to live and enarer to my home than London :smile:

Respectable results, you should try to get into the lower ranked ivy league schools in the USA, maybe you will get lucky.
happy to share any experiences about my application for economics with anyone
Reply 13
Why did i get 3 negative rep points? :frown:
Original post by TRLMaths
Why did i get 3 negative rep points? :frown:

I up-ed you to try and make up for it.
Reply 15
Original post by foxonstilts
I up-ed you to try and make up for it.

Thanks buddy. All i did was share my results like the first post said... don't hate on me for doing semi-decent. And before you ask. I don't go to qa private school . I live in Grimsby, and go to state school.
see I would apply for Durham but my brother went there and unfortunately is fairly well known now for having been absolutely crazy.

plus ive heard the biology department isnt great.
Reply 17
Original post by tgarrud
see I would apply for Durham but my brother went there and unfortunately is fairly well known now for having been absolutely crazy.

plus ive heard the biology department isnt great.

what does it mean "being fairly well known now for having been absolutely crazy" ?

Durham offer holder here, pretty confused on what to do...
Original post by zeleo
what does it mean "being fairly well known now for having been absolutely crazy" ?

Durham offer holder here, pretty confused on what to do...

he's just a complete nutter and apparantly is a bit of a legend around durham lol i dont wanna go anywhere where people will know im related to him :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by chidona

Original post by chidona
Yo guys, as a graduand I'll just pop in and say good luck to everyone =]

Congrats on the degree! Personally I would keep your sig as graduand for the moment. Seriously, once you are on my side of the wall you'd do anything to be a graduand again! Best couple of weeks of my life so far, I swear. Congratulations again!

Latest

Trending

Trending