I want to go to Edinburgh, but my parents are reluctant Watch

ebonyphoenix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm pretty much having the same problem on a larger scale (I really want to go to St. Andrews but parents want me to stay in the US and California). I don't have that much advice (having problems myself!), but I'll tell you that if you don't go to your first choice, you'll probably always end up wondering what it would have been like had you went there instead. For me, I don't think I'd like to have those kind of regrets... I rather go and hate my first choice than to never have gone at all.

Don't think this will change your parents mind that much, but you could tell them that as an American, I find the 2 hours or less thing completely mindboggling. The UK is so small and going to Scotland from London is NOTHING compared to traveling in the US... people in the US can be two or three states away at uni at a bigger distance than that!

Also, remember to visit (duh!...do you say that in the UK? Lol... me and my Americanisms). Before I visited I was in LOVE with Edinburgh and thought that's where I'd like to while the rest of my days, but turns out I liked St. Andrews much better (and I only visited St. Andrews by a fluke... I wasn't even really considering it).
Lady Narcissus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't change your mind just for them, talk it through. I went to the sixth form college that my parents wanted. It is totally different to university, but I was never that happy there.
JM87
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
remind them how easy, quick and cheap it is to visit edinburgh from london by flying - thats only 1 -2 hours
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You really do have to go to the place to find outif it's for you. I probably spent £200 visiting various unis.

I decided to go for one 3 hours away by car. All my choices were about this distance, apart from Durham- but that's just such a nice place, anyway. I didn't want to go closer, as I felt like I needed to gain maturity. The only way I could do that was getting further away.

I would suggest having a talk with your parents. If you go to Edinburgh and find that it really is the right place for you, that you will enjoy, then you will have to convince them of this. Ask them why they only want you to be 1-2 hours away, and do tell them that the lifestyle at uni means that your coming home at weekends would be unlikely. university is partly about growing up and moving away from the home environment- that may be something you need to highlight for them. You would be there not only to learn academically, but to have the whole experience and learn socially- if that makes sense! Living away from parents is one of the biggest challenges you will face.

So my advice is to bite the bullet and ask them why they want you to stay so close.
ice_cube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wherever you are you will get involved in life at university and wont end up coming home often no matter how close you live. Friends, activities and general life get in the way of other plans, so don't base a decision on that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed