Watch
This discussion is closed.
earthmother
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
Not St. John, though... he doesn't have a college at both Cam and Ox.

Oh yes he does. Unless of course they are dedicated to two different St John's.

St Catharine's College, Cambridge and St Catherine's College, Oxford play an annual Rugby match I think. And note the different spelling of the two.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Queen's...
Different Queens though - and ours is technically named after two Queens (don't ask me which ones) hence why they are so fussy about the apostrophe!

There is a St. John's at both, but I do think that actually they are different ones - one is John the Evangelist and one is John the Baptist, or so some guy from John's, Oxford told me at the weekend.

There is also a St. Catha(e)rine's at both, but due to the different spelling I think they're different people too.
Radagasty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by earthmother)
Oh yes he does. Unless of course they are dedicated to two different St John's.
Yes... Tu as mis le doigt dessus. The Cambridge college is named after John the Evangelist, whereas its Oxford counterpart is named after John the Baptist.
earthmother
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Different Queens though - and ours is technically named after two Queens (don't ask me which ones) hence why they are so fussy about the apostrophe!

There is a St. John's at both, but I do think that actually they are different ones - one is John the Evangelist and one is John the Baptist, or so some guy from John's, Oxford told me at the weekend.

There is also a St. Catha(e)rine's at both, but due to the different spelling I think they're different people too.
No it's the same Cathe(a)rine, Helenia.

The Oxford one began as a non-collegiate society at the University and was originally spelled with the "a". They then changed it to avoid confusion with the Cambridge college. Obviously didn't work!!

And in Oxford it is correctly "The Queen's College".
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Queens' was founded during the War of the Roses. The two queens were Margaret of Anjou (wife of Henry VI, the last Lancastrian king and founder of King's) and Elizabeth Woodville (wife of Edward IV, the first Yorkist king and successor of Henry VI).

I think the Catharine's at Cambridge is named after St. Catherine of Alexandria, who was martyred in the Roman persecution of Christians during the reign of Maximinus. According to legend, angels had borne her body to Mt. Sinai after she was beheaded. Catherine wheels were named in her honour, since the spiked wheel she was tortured with flew apart at her touch.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
Queens' was founded during the War of the Roses. The two queens were Margaret of Anjou (wife of Henry VI, the last Lancastrian king and founder of King's) and Elizabeth Woodville (wife of Edward IV, the first Yorkist king and successor of Henry VI).

I think the Catharine's at Cambridge is named after St. Catherine of Alexandria, who was martyred in the Roman persecution of Christians during the reign of Maximinus. According to legend, angels had borne her body to Mt. Sinai after she was beheaded. Catherine wheels were named in her honour, since the spiked wheel she was tortured with flew apart at her touch.
wow, that's what I call historical knowledge...
clara
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
I think that Clare is twinned with Oriel, but because Hertford didn't have established links with a Cambridge college they may have recently forged links with Clare.
I went on the Hertford exchange, it was actually only organised because our hockey captain has friends at Hertford and thought it'd be a good idea!
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
wow, that's what I call historical knowledge...
LOL... I wouldn't call it that, necessarily... more like historical trivia.

My field is late antique and early mediaeval history -- though Oxbridge was really late mediaeval -- and higher education has always been one of my interests.

I think I was right about St. Catz though, because I just had a look at their website, and although I couldn't find any information on who the college was named after, their shield, with a wooden wheel on it, was prominently displayed, and this is most likely the torture wheel associated with Catherine of Alexandria.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by earthmother)
No it's the same Cathe(a)rine, Helenia.

The Oxford one began as a non-collegiate society at the University
Are there still unattached students at Oxford?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads