Latin Start Watch

mrteacher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey, I am on a gap year and I would like to teach myself Latin. Anyone knows any good beginner books to suggest? thnx
Lidka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Try the Cambridge Latin Course (published by Cambridge University Press) - most schools use it. It goes up to GCSE standard Latin.
urethrar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is Latin actually hard to learn? i want to do it for GCSE and possibly to as/a2 but don't know how hard it is. Also, i might have to get a tutor. how much would it cost to get one to teach you the whole gcse course?
Lidka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mdcosta)
Is Latin actually hard to learn? i want to do it for GCSE and possibly to as/a2 but don't know how hard it is. Also, i might have to get a tutor. how much would it cost to get one to teach you the whole gcse course?
It is hard, but I did it in a year for GCSE on two lessons a week and did well enough. If you've already got a basic grasp of how grammar works and/or experience in another Romance language, that'd really help you, because the grammar is HEAVY. The hardest bit would be teaching yourself about the set texts that you have to learn for the exam.

I really recommend a private tutor, but as to the cost, it'd be really up to the individual teacher. My teacher asks for £7.50 a lesson, but she's retired now and teaches it as a part-time thing - someone who tutors as their full-time job might ask for more. Depending on your aptitude, how your tutor feels, and what you intend to do with your Latin, the GCSE course could be anywhere from a year's length, really... You don't have to do the exam to enjoy the language, you know. Have you tried to find a college near you that provides the MoorHouse Black GCSE in Latin by Distance Learning? That's how I did my GCSE course. See here: Latin GCSE

Otherwise, the best I can suggest is looking around your local area for a Latin tutor. Good luck. Latin is an amazing language, and well worth learning, even if you don't cover the whole of the GCSE course.
discombobulation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We're doing the Cambridge Latin Course in college, except I teach myself as I'm not free in the block they teach Latin.
It is pretty basic but as Lidia says does go up to GCSE level, it is interesting as well and there is a fair bit about culture and translation involved
Kernel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The "So you really want to learn Latin?" series is good (although you really do have to want to learn Latin). Its focused pretty much entirely on the language/grammar. It starts from knowing no latin at all and goes up to A-level over 3 books.
Latin starts off pretty easy to learn, but you can soon be overwhelmed (especially if you're doing English to Latin, although you don't have to for GCSE or A-Level) , so you should take your time and make sure you really know how to do everything. You also have to put in quite a bit of work to learn the tables/vocab (especially for English to Latin).
spy007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I thought that cambridge series was a level as well????

I would like to go upto a level standard without having done GCSE Latin, what other books are there that could help?
Euclid
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by spy007)
I thought that cambridge series was a level as well????

I would like to go upto a level standard without having done GCSE Latin, what other books are there that could help?
Not sure about that since you have to learn the grammar and bits covered in the GCSE to progress to a-level. The 'So you really want to learn latin' books are good, although, it's not for the fainthearted! Like any academic discipline, you will need tons of commitment and very good mental discipline so succeed.
futuredentist11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok, so i might be kinda biased coz i got a D in latin i was only 2 marks of a C which was a bummer. But latin is quite boring and the GCSE/A-levels really dont do a lot for a person unless they wanna go n study it further. You got to think seriously before doing this subject, like when i was in year 9 i chose it coz i thought it was gonna be easy and thats coz in the evening sessions it was. As soon as you start you have tonnes of poetry to do, prose study and you also have to learn about roman life. If you are intrested in romans n that sort of era you should do classical civillization as there is NO latin or poetry. It is just basically roman history n on the brightside you get to watch movies like Troy and Gladiater (well, actually they ent all that) but you get the picture.

BTW, the cambridge latin course does cover AS/A2 and there are other supporting materials
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
27%
No (695)
73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise