Australia Visa Help Watch

marksc
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi

I am an Australian citizen living, studying and working in London, UK..

If you would like to study as a student in Australia, visit Australia as a tourist or have a working holiday then I can help answer your questions regarding visa eligibility, university courses, fees, accommodation, health insurance etc.
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hi,

It's nice to see that you're eager to help.

Well... I'll be taking IELTS exam in Jan'06 and then I'd go to Malaysia to study Engineering in an Australian uni (Swinburne) branch campus. After two years, i.e. in 2008, I'll try to transfer to the Australia campus. So by that time, my IELTS result validity will expire (coz the validity period is 2 years).

Will I need to sit for IELTS again in 2008 to get the Australian student visa?
marksc
If you are studying at an Australian University in Malaysia - Swinburne University, then you shouldn't need to sit the IELTS exam again, provided that the language of instruction was in English. If you were taught in the Malaysian language then you probably need to provide up to date proof that you have a good level of English so that you can study in Australia. The IELTS test is good proof of English ability.

Have you already enrolled in your course at Swinburne Uni in Malaysia? Have you been accepted? When do you start your course?
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by marksc)
If you are studying at an Australian University in Malaysia - Swinburne University, then you shouldn't need to sit the IELTS exam again, provided that the language of instruction was in English. If you were taught in the Malaysian language then you probably need to provide up to date proof that you have a good level of English so that you can study in Australia. The IELTS test is good proof of English ability.

Have you already enrolled in your course at Swinburne Uni in Malaysia? Have you been accepted? When do you start your course?
Well... all the degree programmes in Malaysia campus are taught in English as they are completely identical to the degree programmes taught in Australia campus. Moreover, even if I choose to complete the entire programme in Malaysia campus, I will be awarded Swinburne (Australian) degree.
(Click here to know further info about this uni.)

Nope... I haven't got enrolled yet but my offer letter has already been dispatched from the uni. I'm looking forward to start the course in Feb' 06.

I know that none of the Australian uni will need to verify my English qualification if I have been studying in a university where the language of instruction is English. They might also accept my IELTS score in 2008 even if it's little more than 2-yr old. However, I'm not sure whether my IELTS scores will be accepted in Australian Immigration Department if it's more than two years.

Is it possible for you to show any form of evidence (such as links from official websites, pdf files, etc) so that I can decide properly to take IELTS on the right time?

Cheers
marksc
You are right - the Australian Department of Immigration will not accept an (International English Language Testing System) IELTS test that is more than 2 years old!! The test is only acceptable if taken no more than 2 years prior to making your student visa application. Therefore, you need to take the IELTS test before you make your visa application or the test will not be taken into consideration.

Good to see that you are planning well in advance!

Good luck...
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by marksc)
You are right - the Australian Department of Immigration will not accept an (International English Language Testing System) IELTS test that is more than 2 years old!! The test is only acceptable if taken no more than 2 years prior to making your student visa application. Therefore, you need to take the IELTS test before you make your visa application or the test will not be taken into consideration.

Good to see that you are planning well in advance!

Good luck...
Thanks for the confirmation.
law_lad_88
Report 12 years ago
hey- im looking to study law and/or french at uni next year (2007)- was wondering if any unis offered a joint degree of law with french and what the best unis are for law and french? also, what kind of grades do you need in order to gain a scholarship?
GeorgieK
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Depends what state really, queensland has University of Queensland which has an amazing arts dept (law, art, language etc). Then theres University of Melbourne, also excellent, and then monash which is good but its more of an engineering uni, though still very good.

They offer scholarships on a basis of need...not grades, and with they system they have in place now, up front you don't pay any fees, but when you start your first job they take a portion of your income till its paid back, depending on your income of course. great system.
jellypelly
Report 12 years ago
hey im coming to melbourne uni to study on a semester abroad (im from the UK), can anyone give me any tips on what to expect? like what the unis like, the city and how the aussie uni system works? im completely stuck! thanks! xxx
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jellypelly)
hey im coming to melbourne uni to study on a semester abroad (im from the UK), can anyone give me any tips on what to expect? like what the unis like, the city and how the aussie uni system works? im completely stuck! thanks! xxx
hi...

I'm not from Uni of Melbourne and so I can't give you any useful tips. However, I'm sure you'll find a lot of updated info about the uni in its official website (http://www.unimelb.edu.au/).

As you're an exchange student, I'd highly recommend you to visit this webpage of Melbourne website where you'll hopefully find all your questions answered.

Good luck!
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How long does it take for a working visa (applying for the UK) application to get through?
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by galadriel100)
How long does it take for a working visa (applying for the UK) application to get through?
Are you asking about the duration of getting a UK work-permit visa? :confused:
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
Are you asking about the duration of getting a UK work-permit visa? :confused:
Yep..
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
galadriel100,

It usually takes 6-8 months or sometimes longer (almost a year) to complete the visa processing if you apply directly to the UK Home Office for HSMP visa. If you already have a job offer from a UK company, then your employer will apply for your visa and it wont take that longer to complete the visa process.

In the case of HSMP, if you apply through any OISC registered representative (e.g. workpermit.com) then you can get your application assessed and (if selected) can get your visa within 3 - 6 months.

In the case of normal work permit, your employer will most probably use a representative to give you the visa sooner.

I'd recommend anyone, wishing to apply for any kind of UK visa, to visit the following websites:

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/uk.htm
http://www.skillclear.com/index2.asp
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In addition to what the OP has to offer in this thread, I would recommend anyone, wishing to apply for any kind of Australian visa, to visit the following websites:

http://www.australia.gov.au/127
[An easy official guide on how to check whether prospective employees are entitled to work in Australia.]

http://www.immi.gov.au/
[Official Australian Government migration and immigration website]

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/australia.htm
[Workpermit.com guide to Australian immigration, work permit and work visas, Australia skilled immigration points calculator.]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads