The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

homoterror
Is it true that over 50% of cambridge students go on anti depressants sometime during their cambridge career?

That sounds like an utterly made up stat, unless they count coffee.

No possiblity of someone being that unhappy and in fact depressed then?

I was discounting serious medical problems (under which I'd include clinical depression). That's not at all relevant to the present case though.
Reply 41
Isaiah Berlin
That sounds like an utterly made up stat, unless they count coffee.

I was just thinking it's about true amongst the people I know well enough to know if they're on anti d's! I think there's something about people who think that much, it's quite easy to get down on life.
homoterror
I think there's something about people who think that much, it's quite easy to get down on life.

Unfortuntately true; fortunately, however, another generally defining characteristic of students at Oxford is being determined, so even if they're down they soon find something they want to get done and get on with it.

Personally, I know two, possibly three people who've been on anti-depressants. I know a lot more than six people!
homoterror
I think there's something about people who think that much, it's quite easy to get down on life.

I don't know... you might think a lot about life and realise how wonderful, beautiful and brilliant it can be and is.

And then about how lucky you've been to get to do things you wanted to do.

I'm not sure deep thinking leads to depressed anyway :smile:

--------------

Isaiah Berlin

Personally, I know two, possibly three people who've been on anti-depressants. I know a lot more than six people!

But how many people do you know that would say 'by the way Bob, I'm on anti-depressants so no ectascy for me in future, cheers' (or similar).
Reply 44
Isaiah Berlin
Unfortuntately true; fortunately, however, another generally defining characteristic of students at Oxford is being determined, so even if they're down they soon find something they want to get done and get on with it.

After a while though people don't find what they want to get done because they just stop seeing the point.

lol how many would mention that they were on anti depressants though?

--------------

President_Ben
I don't know... you might think a lot about life and realise how wonderful, beautiful and brilliant it can be and is.

What's so great about life then? =P
homoterror
because they just stop seeing the point.

The over-thinking nihilist?

There are optimistic nihilists out there you know (strange maybe!). People who see there being no point or real consequence as a liberating thing that allows them to do as they like and not worry about it.
Reply 46
President_Ben

There are optimistic nihilists out there you know (strange maybe!). People who see there being no point or real consequence as a liberating thing that allows them to do as they like and not worry about it.

Ooh I like it, I'll have a think about that when I'm lying in bed tonight.
homoterror

What's so great about life then? =P

Plenty of things :cool:

Although, I can see and appreciate why you might think life is a stinking heap of steaming horse turd too.
Reply 48
President_Ben
Plenty of things :cool:

Aw go on what do you live for? (Don't say thrills :wink: Walking around the motorway is thrilling)

(ps. I don't want people to worry about me! I'm playing devil's advocate)
Oxbridge has a greater proportion of clinically depressed students than all the other UK unis. It's not surprising - many of the country's most 'intellectual' people have problems because they think too much about the philosophy of life, existence, future of the world etc, which can send people into a downward spiral. Secondly 'successful' people often become depressed when there's an emptiness from a lack of challenges - when you 'have it all' there's not much left to achieve. Thirdly there's the obvious stress of workload that not everyone can handle.
Chassez
Oxbridge has a greater proportion of clinically depressed students than all the other UK unis. It's not surprising - many of the country's most 'intellectual' people have problems because they think too much about the philosophy of life, existence, future of the world etc, which can send people into a downward spiral. Secondly 'successful' people often become depressed when there's an emptiness from a lack of challenges - when you 'have it all' there's not much left to achieve.

But the people depressed at Oxford for these reasons would probably be depressed anywhere, no? Or is it a question of a critical mass of such people?
homoterror
Aw go on what do you live for? (Don't say thrills :wink: Walking around the motorway is thrilling)

(ps. I don't want people to worry about me! I'm playing devil's advocate)

Legacy. The unpredictable excitement of other people and the complex society. Feelings. Laughing. Smiling.

Beauty might be in there, but not one of the big factors I don't think.

Chassez
Oxbridge has a greater proportion of clinically depressed students than all the other UK unis. It's not surprising - many of the country's most 'intellectual' people have problems because they think too much about the philosophy of life, existence, future of the world etc, which can send people into a downward spiral. Secondly 'successful' people often become depressed when there's an emptiness from a lack of challenges - when you 'have it all' there's not much left to achieve. Thirdly there's the obvious stress of workload that not everyone can handle.

One, I don't buy this notion that intellectual people "overthink" and get sent off onto a downward spiral as a result. I know plenty of so called overthinkers who would go into the optimistic nihilist category (Oxbridge included).

Two, surely these overthinkers don't feel they've achieved all there is in life by uni :smile:

Three - I'll give.

--------------

Isaiah Berlin
Or is it a question of a critical mass of such people?

A bunch of Oxbridge students are sitting around a table, they have a few drinks and the conversation turns to how depressing the world is? :confused:

It's an unsual and interesting topic of conversation to get into!
Reply 52
Isaiah Berlin
But the people depressed at Oxford for these reasons would probably be depressed anywhere, no? Or is it a question of a critical mass of such people?

I think they'd be even unhappier anywhere else.

--------------

President_Ben

Two, surely these overthinkers don't feel they've achieved all there is in life by uni :smile:

Just predictable. Goto Oxbridge, be finely trained, get a great job, form great relationships... it's almost like we've already indulged in the greatest parts of life already. We've cleaned our advent calendars empty of chocolate in the first week of December :wink:
Reply 53
President_Ben

And then about how lucky you've been to get to do things you wanted to do.

I'm not sure deep thinking leads to depressed anyway :smile:

I don't know. Superficially you're right, I feel wonderfully happy because I'm a lucky bastard. In truth a good proportion of that luck came from me thinking and makign good decisions, but hey, a lot didn't :smile: However on a deeper level, people who think a lot may be troubled by the purpose/meaning in their life, ie. it having one. I've know a few people quite depressed because they realise that life has no particular point, and when you're not enjoying it anyway, that can make the whole thing seem quite depressing. Moreover, though at university this probably doesn't affect in the same way, some people who are *really* intelligent find it hard to meet people to talk to. If you can think of the counter arguments to anything you discuss, or are generally that much more intelligent than normal people, it can be distressing. I've met two people who had that, both who scared the ***** out of me because they were, well, just a bit too clever.

The latter has little to do with Oxbridge however, as they're set up to facilitate discussion with very intelligent people, so I can't imagine people feeling isolated by it.

--------------

President_Ben

Dear me, I never thought we were particularly alike before. Completely agree. Though not everyone is like that at all.
Chassez
. Secondly 'successful' people often become depressed when there's an emptiness from a lack of challenges - when you 'have it all' there's not much left to achieve.

Not sure about you, but I find that aiming at a First while keeping up an active extracurricular life is a challenge.
homoterror

Just predictable. Goto Oxbridge, be finely trained, get a great job, form great relationships... it's almost like we've already indulged in the greatest parts of life already. We've cleaned our advent calendars empty of chocolate in the first week of December :wink:

Surely too smart to think life is predictable...
Reply 56
President_Ben
Surely too smart to think life is predictable...

It becomes more predictable though doesn't it? I think there's a problem in changing ambition which is related to this, you go from being too humble to expect three As at Alevel to expecting nothing less than the dream career and lifestyle. Economically speaking, the return on a bit of determination decreases :wink:
Drogue
Moreover, though at university this probably doesn't affect in the same way, some people who are *really* intelligent find it hard to meet people to talk to. If you can think of the counter arguments to anything you discuss, or are generally that much more intelligent than normal people, it can be distressing. I've met two people who had that, both who scared the ***** out of me because they were, well, just a bit too clever.

I can't believe there are intelligent people who think they have everything buttoned up, argued and countered in their head to reach firm conclusions on everything... there are so many unanswered questions.

--------------

homoterror
It becomes more predictable though doesn't it?

I think as I get more intelligent I realise how much less predictable and how much I don't know.
Reply 58
So just out of interest, how many of you spend most of your time trying to debate impossible ultimate questions in your head?
Reply 59
Not everything, just every conversation. Most of your friends, I'd imagine, are around as intelligent as you. You converse well, you talk about lots of things, it's not that you're frustrated that people don't understand things, etc. Then imagine there's no-one you know like that. It could be quite depressing.

Latest

Trending

Trending