Watch
This discussion is closed.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
www.ukmodels.co.uk

My best friend sent her photo off to the above agency as a whim and got a text today to give them a call. She's been invited to a photoshoot next thursday in london and has to pay a £50 deposit- although gets it back if she turns up (However if she wants to buy a photo it's £50).

She's been told they'll look at the photoshoot and decide whether to take her on and if they do she'll have to purchase some photos for a portfolio.

Me and her mum are both a bit skeptical it's a bit of a con and something doesn't add up- we're both excited for her but something isn't right.

Just wondering what you guys think? Any experienced models here who know the trade?
mclovin123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I saw a cutting edge type show a while back on these things, apparently they do this whole deposit thing but just keep the money. I would be carefull about it if im honest but i cannot say for sure. I would tell your freind not to do it with out a bit of advice/ research ect. Good luck
PinkFriday
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I saw something on tv saying proper model agencies never ask for money for photos or even ask for wannabe models to have professional shots. Regular pics taken with a polaroid would do if it was legit.
Try google searching this too.
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would they bother with professional shots unless she's definitely gonna be on their books? Sounds suspicious. :beard:
big-bang-theory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From their website under the "Why Us" and "What we do" section:

"We are not an agency as we do not find models work, we provide all the services you need to establish which type of modelling best suits you and what type of agency would be the most appropriate."

Looking around the rest of the website it seems they're purely an advisory body to help wannabe models develop their portfolios by offering professional shoots (paid for by the would be model) and advising on model types. They're not going to offer you work, or even look for it, if that's what she expects of them then she should steer clear, they're not an agency, they just want you to pay to develop your portfolio to appeal to one if looking into this seriously.
Wanischa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Agency never ask you to pay for pictures for your portfolio because they will invest in you if they think you are worth investing.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Thanks guys..dunno how I'm gonna break the news to her :s
Miss_Scarlett
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
www.ukmodels.co.uk

My best friend sent her photo off to the above agency as a whim and got a text today to give them a call. She's been invited to a photoshoot next thursday in london and has to pay a £50 deposit- although gets it back if she turns up (However if she wants to buy a photo it's £50).

She's been told they'll look at the photoshoot and decide whether to take her on and if they do she'll have to purchase some photos for a portfolio.

Me and her mum are both a bit skeptical it's a bit of a con and something doesn't add up- we're both excited for her but something isn't right.

Just wondering what you guys think? Any experienced models here who know the trade?
This is going to sound like me being pedantic...its genuinely not. If you read "what we do" on their website, they clearly state they arent an agency.

Companies like this seem to been springing up all over the place, they most likely arent sinister...but they arent a model agency like Storm, Models 1 or MOT etc...they are more like a promotion company if you will...they earn their money from model boot camp days, paid photo shoots, teaching catwalk and teaching how to pose on a shoot.

Id advise your friend, if she is good enough obv, to do her research, establish what her niche of modelling is...so high fashion? Commercial? Editorial? Then approach the appropriate agency on their "drop in" sessions...these are normally listed on the individual agencies websites.

Hope this helped!
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
This is going to sound like me being pedantic...its genuinely not. If you read "what we do" on their website, they clearly state they arent an agency.

Companies like this seem to been springing up all over the place, they most likely arent sinister...but they arent a model agency like Storm, Models 1 or MOT etc...they are more like a promotion company if you will...they earn their money from model boot camp days, paid photo shoots, teaching catwalk and teaching how to pose on a shoot.

Id advise your friend, if she is good enough obv, to do her research, establish what her niche of modelling is...so high fashion? Commercial? Editorial? Then approach the appropriate agency on their "drop in" sessions...these are normally listed on the individual agencies websites.

Hope this helped!
Yeah i sent her a message...a very nice one as she was so excited when she told me I felt like her mother warning her to 'be careful' etc when i bet all she wanted was someone to be excied with her!

Just incase she missed the fine print etc (which wouldn't surprise me!)
outworn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah i sent her a message...a very nice one as she was so excited when she told me I felt like her mother warning her to 'be careful' etc when i bet all she wanted was someone to be excied with her!

Just incase she missed the fine print etc (which wouldn't surprise me!)
I've had to let a friend down with this kinda thing too. :sad:
Hope she takes it well.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
(Original post by souldoubt)
I've had to let a friend down with this kinda thing too. :sad:
Hope she takes it well.
How did your friend take it? I was considering sharing the excitement and letting her find out for herself, but she has to pay for tickets to London, plus £50 deposit straight up etc.
outworn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How did your friend take it? I was considering sharing the excitement and letting her find out for herself, but she has to pay for tickets to London, plus £50 deposit straight up etc.
Yeah that's exactly what happened with us, I would have let her get on with it but she had to pay for transportation and other silly charges.

I think her pride was hurt more than anything, because she's been gushing about it to everybody. :sad:
She was pretty gutted at first, but she got over it quite quickly - for giggles we both dressed up and took silly pictures all night. :awesome:

I'm sure your friend will be fine though. :yep:
Just one of those things :dontknow:
jbf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
Can I email you? I'm not looking to become a model or anything, I just want to email you.
Yes of course
Rascacielos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
www.ukmodels.co.uk

I've not heard anything about that particular company, although I've heard you should never be expected to pay for a portfolio/photoshoot, so it does sound a bit dodgy.
xTazx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most of the british modelling agencies look at your body structure first, which doesn't need professional photoshooting till later, which is usually in house or contracted out.
xnatalie01x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.albamodel.info/namedandshamed.php

Yep see on the left hand side 'names to avoid'.
member11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I say don't do it model agencies normally only ask you to pay them after your signed and working,tell her to look up more legit well know agencies if shes interested.
avidoll
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its not a modelling agency its a scounting agency. I am signed with UKModels and they have helped me kick start my modelling career in the way that I want. They set u up witht he basics u need and u can rely on them for information and tips on how to get yourself known. They give u a list of angecies to apply to and will help u avoid dodgey contracts ect. They are very friendly and its a lot of fun. Also u dont have to buy the pictures at the end thats entirely up to you. It can jst be an experience to find out if u ahve what it takes. I had a really good time.
Amberxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Omg please do not give them a deposit my friend did this and they emptied her whole bank account. She's so silly, she gave them her card details thinking it was legit because they kept pressuring her saying that her slot would be filled by someone else if she didn't book it. She never got her money back, she didn't even have their address
Emily190100
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If a company is genuine then you will not have to pay for a portfolio, or pay anything at all until you get a job. In the industry the pricing works by comission, when you earn from a job they start earn. It's basically a way to show they work, a garuntee really.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (29)
27.88%
Less motivated (75)
72.12%

Watched Threads