The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths Modular (Unit 3) 6th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by minimus777
I don't know, sorry.

For the questions about powers, did you put your first few answers as numbers (i think the first one was 9) or powers (i.e. 3^2) ?

Oh wait I think I remember, I put them as numbers I think..
Reply 41
I'm pretty sure the question asking you to find the height of the cone had no relevance to the hemisphere, my guess was pythagoras theorum in that;

h(squared)=x(squared)-l(squared)

Does this make sense to anyone?
Reply 42
Original post by 11tk06
I'm pretty sure the question asking you to find the height of the cone had no relevance to the hemisphere, my guess was pythagoras theorum in that;

h(squared)=x(squared)-l(squared)

Does this make sense to anyone?

you had to find l first by using the two formulas for the areas of both shapes and rearranging them to make l the subject. But you're right on the pythagoras bit
Reply 43
Original post by halii_94
this. yes :biggrin:

for the first part of vector question what did you get?
Reply 44
for the simultanios equation I subtracted rather than added, will I still get some marks?

for the last question I got x= something or x=something (can't remember actual numbers.

for the man splitting his money i got 32.50, is that correct?
Reply 45
Original post by lucyelle
for the simultanios equation I subtracted rather than added, will I still get some marks?

for the last question I got x= something or x=something (can't remember actual numbers.

well what was ur answer for the simultaneous question
for the last one it was x= -2 and x=3

i think the money was something along those lines :smile:
Reply 46

Dunno if you'll get marks for the sim q.
Last q was x=-2 and x=3 or the other way around can't remember
and the splitting money was £32.40 i believe

It doesn't matter which way you did the equation, as long as you did it correctly you'll get the marks. The way you did it would just have been harder, that's all.

Most people got x= or x= and did it as a quadratic so I would think you probably did that right.

Well I got 32.40, is that what you meant? I don't know if it's correct though, obviously...

How did I get £4.50 for the mOney FGS.
Reply 49
how were we meant to work out the length of the line question? i was baffled!
Reply 50
I just realised how badly I did on that exam, and now I'm worried.
I was required to get 90 UMS marks on both non-calc and calc papers (confused with the UMS marks, I can never work out how much it is for normal marks) and it seems like I maybe got 10-15 marks on that non-calc paper, it was a solid disaster. Everyone in my school seemed to find it solid but from what they are saying, they did well anyway.

I did working out in most of the questions, but do they give you marks even if it could be wrong? If I could speculate I guess I got about 3-4 first questions right, and then where you had to simplify numbers with powers. For the rest of the questions, the stress level was rising, I knew most of the things I revised, but I confused it with other stuff and wrote complete bulls**t in some of them.

Has anyone got the answers to that paper perhaps? And should I worry or will the mark boundaries be brought down if most of people found it hard?
Reply 51

The one with coords (6,6) or whatever it was? Yeah, so was I. All my teacher taught me to do was half-way points.
Reply 52

use phytagoras
Reply 53

u had to use Pythagoras
basically take away the 2 'x' which is 6-2= 4
then take away the two 'y' which was 6-3=3

then to find the line which was the hypotenuse, you use the Pythagoras method

4squared + 3 squared = AB squares
16+9= 25
square root of 25= ab
Reply 54
Original post by sh123:)
u had to use Pythagoras
basically take away the 2 'x' which is 6-2= 4
then take away the two 'y' which was 6-3=3

then to find the line which was the hypotenuse, you use the Pythagoras method

4squared + 3 squared = AB squares
16+9= 25
square root of 25= ab

Now you say it, it's so obvious, stupid exam stress and pressure wiping my mind
Reply 55
Now you say it, it's so obvious, stupid exam stress and pressure wiping my mind[/QUO

i only figured that out in the last minute, that paper was horrible!
Oh my god, that paper was a fail, for the one with money, I had 54=10p (Peter = p, Trish = 3p, Ben = 2(3p) = 6p).... :frown: so... Ben would have 5.4*6 = 32.40. And I feel so dumb now, for the one with the sphere, I wrote down that l^2=h^2+x^2, and then simplified it l=h+x... I feel so dumb, but hopfully will get some marks. Also. on the last question, I made the denominators equal to 2x+2 (or what ever it was) and ended up with x= - 4 AGHHH!

What did people do on the one where you had to shade the area? That the thing was less than 2cm from PS, did you have to bisect it or something, as I forgot how to do that, so I just measured 2cm... AGH I better start revising for the calculator one if I want to get a good grade!
Reply 57
I don't know about ums, but I know i needed to gt 51% overall in the calc and non calc to get an A overall- based on my previous modules, which sounded really easy.. but now its starting to worry me if ive managed it..
Reply 58
Now you say it, it's so obvious, stupid exam stress and pressure wiping my mind

Don't worry! When I first looked at it I didn't get it at all, I just plotted the points on the graph thinking you might have to work out gradient or something but then i realised you could make a right angled triangle :P
Reply 59
on the one where tha answer ended up k= 2t / 1-t, I cancelled it to k =t/1, so k = t... was that completely wrong,

and for the less than 2 cm thing, i used my compas to draq a curve prom the left hand corner, then a stright line at 2 cm from the bottom line, shaded in the bit on the righ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending