The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths Modular (Unit 3) 6th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was on target for a B, and all of the exams I did well on. But I needed to get 90 UMS marks on both Unit 3 papers to hit my target of a high C, and about 70 to pass. I guess I'll need to hammer revision for Friday's exam :/
Reply 61
Original post by lucyelle

and for the less than 2 cm thing, i used my compas to draq a curve prom the left hand corner, then a stright line at 2 cm from the bottom line, shaded in the bit on the righ

Did that as well, I think it was a smaller area you had to shade in. I am seriously worried, I didn't answer the cone question at all, I attempted the last question but dropped 4 marks anyway, because I wrote scribbles, and I didn't get the line question, for reciprocal of 8 I wrote 5:3 and it was 1/8... Ratio? WTF, where did that come from in my head. After the exam someone told me 1/8 and I felt dumb.

Disaster.
Reply 62
to be honest I think the grade boundaries will be really low- lots of people found it hard, and it's likely the calculator will be easier, and everything is easier with a calculater :smile:
Reply 63
Praying that the calculator exam is much easier I really want an A or A*.
Reply 64
Hmm yeah, I have to hammer revision till Friday I guess to get a good mark. It's bad when you get distracted but that's another story. I did 2-3 hours of revision each day, and the questions baffled me anyway. Good thing that I answered at least 3 to 4 first questions right (well, seems like it at least, very simple questions). The rest was solid...
Reply 65
don't worry the recpirical was only 1 mark! for the vectors question i got the first bit, and completely understood how to do the vectors question, but i couldn't make the numbers work!

I needed the vector they gave to be a multiple of a +b, so like 2a + 2b, then you could prove it was parallel, but the vector I was working out wasn't a multiple of the a+b

I attempted the last 4 dificult questions, but I think I only got the last one right, but I'm thinking for trying out ideas we should get working marks, like for the cone question i put the SA of the cone is = to the SA of the hemisphere and put the forumlas, (for that were we meant to include the flat base? i never specified)
Reply 66
I didn't get the vector question either, but I attempted it, however I can't remember the exact answer.

lucyelle
don't worry the recpirical was only 1 mark! for the vectors question i got the first bit, and completely understood how to do the vectors question, but i couldn't make the numbers work!

Sometimes a single mark costs an entire grade...
like for the cone question i put the SA of the cone is = to the SA of the hemisphere and put the forumlas, (for that were we meant to include the flat base? i never specified)

I was confused by that!

I included in the flat bases because that counted as the surface area, but it wasn't really made clear in the question that you needed that!
Reply 68
on the formulea sheet it only gave the surface area for the curved part of the cone, so i assumed it meant not the flat bases..
Reply 69
I needed the vector they gave to be a multiple of a +b, so like 2a + 2b, then you could prove it was parallel, but the vector I was working out wasn't a multiple of the a+b

For the vectors I got 6/5a + 6/5b and I said that it was a multiple of a+b, is that alright for the mark because everyone is saying that you had to factorise it : 6/5(a+b) but I didn't do that :/ :s-smilie:
on the formulea sheet it only gave the surface area for the curved part of the cone, so i assumed it meant not the flat bases..

I did that originally then I thought that it might want the bases included too. :/

So confusing!!
Reply 72
Original post by drewb
I did that originally then I thought that it might want the bases included too. :/

So confusing!!

I included the bases too!
Reply 73

I remember looking at the name tarish and thinking who has a name like tarish..
Original post by drewb
What did everyone say for the percentage the school population has risen by? I said 600% but I was unsure about it.

Percentage question? I don't remember seeing a % q... Was this only for modular maths , because the questions seem very similar to the linear paper.
Reply 75
I also said 600%

new amount/ old amount x 100 i think it was,

so annoyed at getting 3.50, rather than 3.40 for the bill, peter and tarish question- seems to be a common mistake..
Reply 76
I remember looking at the name tarish and thinking who has a name like tarish..

Probably an insight to a weird mind of one of the Edexcel examinators.
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
Percentage question? I don't remember seeing a % q... Was this only for modular maths , because the questions seem very similar to the linear paper.

I think it was only modular.

Haha I've liked it/joined it.
I thought the flat bases wouldn't be needed because they were just two circles with the same radius, meaning they would have the same area, which I thought would be basically like having an equation and adding the same number to either side; it would still equal the same thing but be more cluttered, so I left them out... :/
Reply 79
Original post by thetransitionary
I thought the flat bases wouldn't be needed because they were just two circles with the same radius, meaning they would have the same area, which I thought would be basically like having an equation and adding the same number to either side; it would still equal the same thing but be more cluttered, so I left them out... :/

That makes sense!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending