The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sarky
Pharmacy students have it worse than us though.

Too right :biggrin: and we don't get half the recognition doctors get!

Bring on my pre-reg year in July and the money!i'm needing it now really though. Luckily that is paid fairly well. Thats why I don't understand why pre-qualified doctors dont get paid when they are working what is essentially a similar type of position.
Reply 21
Debt, eh? I spent an hour this morning trying to get Barclays to extend my overdraft. Seems like my budget didn't quite go to plan last term. :biggrin:
Yeah, banks are stupid like that. I didn't have enough in my account at the start of term to pay tuition fees. I took my student loan letter to HSBC, showing that there was a large amount of money coming in, but it had been delayed. For whatever reason, they refused. idiots.
Reply 23
Jimmocrates
Yeah, banks are stupid like that. I didn't have enough in my account at the start of term to pay tuition fees. I took my student loan letter to HSBC, showing that there was a large amount of money coming in, but it had been delayed. For whatever reason, they refused. idiots.

Apparently banks love medical students because they're 'set up for life', but i've yet to receive such pleasantries!
Reply 24
Ah, sure, it'll be grand. You'll be minted once you start working, it's just you'll get about two hour of sleep per day while performing life-saving procedures (read "doing the donkey-work no-one else would touch") for the other 22. The more I think about it, the more masochistic I seem to myself...
Reply 25
another vet here...yeah vets arent always paid all that great...esp if you work for charity etc organisations.....i read that the average starting salary is £17000 but anyway yeah the other problem i have being a vet student is i cant work in the summer hols cause of the EMS (extra mural studies(like work experience)) we have to do.......like im only in my 1st year but we have to do 12 weeks in our holidays in our first 2 years eg 2 weeks sheep, 2 weeks cattle etc...so thats gonna take up a fair bulk of the summer so hopefully i will manage it in a way that will allow me to work...but im kinda dubious.....then yeah in the last 3 years from what ive heard theres absolutely no chance of haveing any spare time..let alone any time for a job...its soooo unfair cause like my friends all have like 8hr weeks...so they have loadsa time for a part time job...let alone the hols.....
Reply 26
Fenella
No-one gets paid just a basic salary though - with banding it's between 26 and 30K, in London some PRHOs earn (with weighting) up to 32K. And the salary increases pretty much every year, even at consultant level.

I know that! I worked for a large London NHS Trust in HR until the summer!

But, given 'New Deal' and 'EWTD', come 2009 where will that leave us? No scope for overtime as 'Tony the Phony' has already offered up our opt out claus....

--------------

Miles
Apparently banks love medical students because they're 'set up for life', but i've yet to receive such pleasantries!

I love HSBC and an seriously indebted to them (in more way than one! :wink: )

--------------

Sarky

Pharmacy students have it worse than us though. They get no NHS funding whatsoever. Although they are able to practise privately or run their own businesses sooner than we are.

The pharmacists in my year are minted! £50 an hour for doing locum... I so wish I had a degree in pharmacy!!!!!

--------------

Pav27
edit: and £20k in two years is just reckless spending.

Is it?

Mortgage repayments, travel, bills, text books. We only have 2 weeks holiday at Christmas and Easter, so it's not easy finding vacation work to clear your term time debts either...

Preclinical medicine leaves very little time for part time work (and even still, I work - probably earn an extra £5k a year that way), clinical medicine will leave even less..

Living on a meer £15K a year in London isn't easy...

So, Mr Pav. I'd becareful about making judgement until you have the slightest idea of what you're talking about!!! Idiot!
Reply 27
Fluffy
Preclinical medicine leaves very little time for part time work (and even still, I work - probably earn an extra £5k a year that way), clinical medicine will leave even less..
:eek: 5k?! you either get paid ~£10 an hour or just work loads :eek:

I'm not gonna have any savings to take to uni, stupid world challenge :motz:
Reply 28
Fluffy

Is it?

Mortgage repayments, travel, bills, text books. We only have 2 weeks holiday at Christmas and Easter, so it's not easy finding vacation work to clear your term time debts either...

So, Mr Pav. I'd becareful about making judgement until you have the slightest idea of what you're talking about!!! Idiot!

I'd appreciate if you wouldn't call me an idiot because you disagree with me and obviously feel frustrated. I don't know any students personally that have accumulated £20k debt in 2 years, that live in London. This discussion has been kept civil so far, at least on my side, though it's clear that you feel it is necessary to call me names and make assumptions I'm rich.

edit: Thanks for the neg rep, I won't be reciprocating.
Reply 29
Pav27
I'd appreciate if you wouldn't call me an idiot because you disagree with me and obviously feel frustrated. I don't know any students personally that have accumulated £20k debt in 2 years, that live in London. This discussion has been kept civil so far, at least on my side, though it's clear that you feel it is necessary to call me names and make assumptions I'm rich.

edit: Thanks for the neg rep, I won't be reciprocating.

My pleasure - hense the fact I signed it :smile:

You can't know many students in london at all then. The average London med stu debt at graduation at the moment stands at £37k.

A lot of my friends are £15k in debt at this point - i.e. 4 terms in. It's not through blowing money, but through living on the bread line. Especially when you factor in travel to placemanets etc. It gets very expensive very quickly.

As you claim you come from a family with an annual income of less than £15k, you of all people should appreciate that...

--------------

Saffie
:eek: 5k?! you either get paid ~£10 an hour or just work loads :eek:

I'm not gonna have any savings to take to uni, stupid world challenge :motz:

No - having already got certain qualifications I can work at a fairly senior level (and get paid much more than I did for the crummy bar and waitressing job that got me through my first degree). I tend to work freelance, so work when I can and without obligation, and charge £100-150 a day. The freelance thing is going well and I have some commissions from fairly heavy hitters in my portfolio now (from Government to multi-nationals). Getting started and tendering for work was hard, but things are quite good on that fromt now. I just wish I didn';t have exams every 4-6 weeks as I could do much more then and not have to borrow money, but Med School comes first.

In the summer I tend to work for a former employer and that pays well too. It's just a pitty we only get 2 weeks for Christmas and Easter, and most of those are bank and public holidays - takes away some of your earning potential...
Reply 30
Fluffy
My pleasure - hense the fact I signed it :smile:
You can't know many students in london at all then. The average London med stu debt at graduation at the moment stands at £37k.

A lot of my friends are £15k in debt at this point - i.e. 4 terms in. It's not through blowing money, but through living on the bread line. Especially when you factor in travel to placemanets etc. It gets very expensive very quickly.

As you claim you come from a family with an annual income of less than £15k, you of all people should appreciate that...

-

Appreciate what specifically?

I live in what most consider comfortable circumstances, and I don't think we've ever had any money problems. Obviously this is due to many things, firstly the fact that my parents are self employed so income fluctuates (for those in the retail sector, you'll know that profits have been in decline the past few years, just recently picking up), and secondly because I don't live in London.

If I do get into medicine (big if, as I am expecting 4 rejections) I know that I will be able to pay off all debts after graduation, though it may take some time.
Fluffy

... because so many med students have mortagages don't they? it may be the case for you, i don't know, but it certainly isn't the norm. As for London... i'm a raving loon of a northerner, so i'm not exactly neutral, but i could have opted for a pre-reg place in london (pharmacy), and got paid over £3,000 more. London living is expensive, i know and people bang on about it enough, but that is compensated for when you get a job there.

PS: -ve rep for expressing an opinion. despite not giving a toss about rep, what's the point?
Reply 32
Jimmocrates
... because so many med students have mortagages don't they? it may be the case for you, i don't know, but it certainly isn't the norm. As for London... i'm a raving loon of a northerner, so i'm not exactly neutral, but i could have opted for a pre-reg place in london (pharmacy), and got paid over £3,000 more. London living is expensive, i know and people bang on about it enough, but that is compensated for when you get a job there.

PS: -ve rep for expressing an opinion. despite not giving a toss about rep, what's the point?

Actually they do. Quite a few '19 year olds' in my year have bought places in London over the summer and have mortgages to pay. Can work out much cheaper than renting...

And the neg rep was for a) calling me wreckless, when I live below the poverty line! and b) for going on about coming from a relatively poor familiy in monetary terms, expecting me to go 'awww diddums', despite the fact that the majority medics are from very affluent backgrounds - WA or not! and yet still having the audacity to call me wreckless! What a fool!

That's the first time I've given neg rep for ages, I felt it was deserved, and I signed it.
Fair enough, if you feel that way. I still stand by the fact that you're only talking about london here. Up here in Manchester the people with houses are people with rich parents who then let their son/daughter live in it, and get rent from their friends, but thats still very rare. Looking further afield from london, your points become less valid.

Also, the travelling expenses and stuffis a fair point, except the figure of £20k quoted is after 2 years, and to my knowledge, medics don't reeeally go on placement until 3rd year (though i may be wrong), so that figure for people living outside of london with no mortgage and not on placement (ie. most 1st and 2nd years), it still seems dubious how they've got into such debt.
Reply 34
Jimmocrates
Fair enough, if you feel that way. I still stand by the fact that you're only talking about london here. Up here in Manchester the people with houses are people with rich parents who then let their son/daughter live in it, and get rent from their friends, but thats still very rare. Looking further afield from london, your points become less valid.

Also, the travelling expenses and stuffis a fair point, except the figure of £20k quoted is after 2 years, and to my knowledge, medics don't reeeally go on placement until 3rd year (though i may be wrong), so that figure for people living outside of london with no mortgage and not on placement (ie. most 1st and 2nd years), it still seems dubious how they've got into such debt.

You are wrong. On intergrated courses - as most courses now are, we have placements from year 1. My placement this year is in Hornchurch in Zone 6 - that adds an extra £10 a week to my travel budget alone.
Reply 35
Fluffy
Actually they do. Quite a few '19 year olds' in my year have bought places in London over the summer and have mortgages to pay. Can work out much cheaper than renting...

And the neg rep was for a) calling me wreckless, when I live below the poverty line! and b) for going on about coming from a relatively poor familiy in monetary terms, expecting me to go 'awww diddums', despite the fact that the majority medics are from very affluent backgrounds - WA or not! and yet still having the audacity to call me wreckless! What a fool!

That's the first time I've given neg rep for ages, I felt it was deserved, and I signed it.

If you didn't assume that I was rich, I would not have wrote that. You expected me to go along with it, even though it isn't true?

You said the average London medic graduates with 37k debt, if you continue the way you're going you'll be in 50k debt. 13k more than the average, that is wreckless by my standards, perhaps it is different for you.

You live below the poverty line because you're not in full time employment, it doesn't count.

I should have lower reputation for giving my opinion? That clearly defies the whole point of reputation. My posts in this thread have merit, and whether you agree or not doesn't change the fact that they're reputable. I choose to post my opinions openly, rather than hiding in fear of retribution from (in the form of neg. rep) others.

Last point: Can you please stop calling me names, I've yet to call you by an offensive term, yet you persist, with no reason or qualification (how exactly, am I an idiot or a fool?). You're acting like a child.
Reply 36
Pav27
You live below the poverty line because you're not in full time employment, it doesn't count.

LMFAO!! Thanks - that one is going to keep me giggling well into the new year? Ever thought of running for parliament?

That's like saying - Ah! well you;re an imigrants, doesn't count! Boy! You could solve so many of the UKs problems with that attitude!!!

Pav27
If you didn't assume that I was rich, I would not have wrote that. You expected me to go along with it, even though it isn't true?

and by calling me wreckless, you must have been making assumptions about my financial background. How can living on less that £15k a year be classed as wreckless? It's a good job I sold the Bently and the private jet!!!

And your posts have little merit. IMHO you are chatting rubbish, and being terribly hypocritical! You have a go at me for saying that most medics are wealthy (which they are, as you might get the chance to see for yourself!), and then call me wreckless for having debt!!! Making judgements after making an issue of my apparent judgement in the first place... the neg rep was for your hypocrasy, and again it was signed.
Reply 37
Fluffy
LMFAO!! Thanks - that one is going to keep me giggling well into the new year? Ever thought of running for parliament?

That's like saying - Ah! well you;re an imigrants, doesn't count! Boy! You could solve so many of the UKs problems with that attitude!!!

and by calling me wreckless, you must have been making assumptions about my financial background. How can living on less that £15k a year be classed as wreckless? It's a good job I sold the Bently and the private jet!!!

And your posts have little merit. IMHO you are chatting rubbish, and being terribly hypocritical! You have a go at me for saying that most medics are wealthy (which they are, as you might get the chance to see for yourself!), and then call me wreckless for having debt!!! Making judgements after making an issue of my apparent judgement in the first place... the neg rep was for your hypocrasy, and again it was signed.

Sorry, can you point out where I said that most medics aren't wealthy? No? Perhaps thats because I only pointed out that *I* am not rich. There is no hypocrasy that you speak of.

Perhaps I didn't make my point clear about the poverty line. To be above it, you must earn over the national average annual income (though there are many defintions, this is probably the most widely accepted one). I know no students that earn 20k/year while still studying full time. Being below the poverty line in your situation is the norm.
Reply 38
Pav27

edit: and £20k in two years is just reckless spending.

This comment would have done the job :rolleyes:
Reply 39
Fluffy
This comment would have done the job :rolleyes:

I don't understand :/.

Regardless, If I offended you with that comment (which I blatantly did) I'm sorry, it just seems to be a very large amount of debt over the course of 2 years.

Latest

Trending

Trending