Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Or is every one equal? Ive always wondered this because although were taught that everyone is equal some people are good at most things/attractive and nicer people whereas others are not, or is this nothing to do with it, I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    Are you at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V.P. Keys)
    Are you at university?
    I was, am I lacking in intelligence

ReputationRep:
    ah your the one who made that thread about benefits and it got locked lol, hows it going btw, did you find a job yet>?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    ah your the one who made that thread about benefits and it got locked lol, hows it going btw, did you find a job yet>?
    yea, did it get locked :eek: Not yet im doing voluntary work but they are asking for assistants soon so I'l apply

I think It depends what you mean by better.
    David Becham is better than me at football. Im probbly better than him at say photography. Some people are better kissers than others, and some people are better at dancing than others. I guess you can learn to improve but we are always told that genetics has a limit (eg intelligence) although its influenced.....so i guess it depends on what you mean by better and if its affected by genes... Oooo thats my thought for today, heh it makes sense too!

ReputationRep:
    There is no hierarchy of people, in my opinion. No one is inherently better or worse since concepts of better/worse change from person to person.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I am better than all of you. Mwahahahhahha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    There is no hierarchy of people, in my opinion. No one is inherently better or worse since concepts of better/worse change from person to person.
    why is this thread in h&r?

although being better is a subjective question (ie if you ask me , is Mrs X better person than Mr Z, my answer and deciding factors are different to yours), people must be better than others if based on the same factors. ie if you ask me is Mrs X bettee than Mr X , is Mr S better than Mrs X, i would impose a hireachy.

if you mean a more moral person, everyone is deemed equal as no one can judge others, only GOd. however you can have your own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Equality itself does not mean that we were created with equal abilities and opportunities. It doesn't refer to people's intelligence, abilities, or accomplishments. I believe that in base human instinct we are all equal. We all seek warmth, light, food, water, pleasurable activities and have the same drive to exist, the instinct of self preservation.

To define whether we are all equal you would first have to decide on a system of measuring equality. You can judge if people are equally rich (no), attractive (no), happy (no), intelligent (no), physically able (no). In fact if you just look at one aspect of human life it is hard to find one in which we are equal. However we are all fundamentally the same.

I think the way you treat other people is far more telling about your views on equality than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm better than you at playing tennis, does this mean I'm of "more worth"?

Seems like a rather narcissistic attitude to me. I suppose being proficient at things is good. But everyone has SOME talent at something.

I was, am I lacking in intelligence
    So someone can beat you down, since they're smarter hence better than you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    Or is every one equal? Ive always wondered this because although were taught that everyone is equal some people are good at most things/attractive and nicer people whereas others are not, or is this nothing to do with it, I dunno.
    Every one is born equal.
    I would only think i'm better than someone if the other person was a nasty bully.

If someone is a good person then they are as equal as the other good person simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that all people are equal is a relatively new idea that has only become universally accepted in the Western world in the past 60 or 70 years. I think it's rather arrogant to ignore a few thousand years of political philosophy which assumes all men are not equal.

ReputationRep:
    So bring back slavery then?

Why not, if all people aren't equal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philadelphia)
    Every one is born equal.
    I would only think i'm better than someone if the other person was a nasty bully.

If someone is a good person then they are as equal as the other good person simple as that.
    r u kidding? - no offense meant
    in a perfect world myb but we aint in no perfect world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninetails)
    r u kidding? - no offense meant
    in a perfect world myb but we aint in no perfect world
    everyone should be treated equally if they are good people that's as simple as it needs to be.

--------------

(Original post by Greyhound02)
    The idea that all people are equal is a relatively new idea that has only become universally accepted in the Western world in the past 60 or 70 years. I think it's rather arrogant to ignore a few thousand years of political philosophy which assumes all men are not equal.
    do you mean we should treat people un-equally.

ReputationRep:
    When you say "better" you automatically raise issues of value judements. Western values would rate the rich and the powerful as "better" people than others. Eastern values would see the wiser and the aged as "better" people.

There is clearly an inequality of skills. Some people are more skilled practically, others interlectually, some artisticall, other socially: and some all at once. You also have a clear empirical inequality in terms of the distrubution of goods, and let us be honest an inequality of upbringing too. Wheter this should morally equate to an inequality in economic, social and political terms is a big question. If people are innately supeiror in some fashion to others this has extreme political implications: read Plato's "Republic"

ReputationRep:
    To me if the cleaner and a pilot is a good person then i would treat both of 'em equally.

And i see pilots chatting to cleaners as much as they do to their collegues which is great.

I even met Chris eubank and he was a pleasant guy with a firm handshake :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm of the opinion that some people are morally more virtuous than others and should be destined to lead. Others will excel in other aspects of life. Obviously when a society attaches different values to different abilities some will be generally 'better' than others within their societal context. Many attempts to create a calculus to identify them have failed due to the subjectivity of values.

obviously a basic set of rights or a level playing field must exist for all people for any meaningful judgement to be made on their worth. Paradoxically this makes them equals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    Of course everybody isn't equal.

Some people are attractive. Some are ugly.
    Some are intelligent. Some are thick.
    Some are athletes. Some are crap at sports.
    Some are fine upstanding citizens and examples to us all. Others are murderers.

Etc etc etc

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.