"Everyone's entitled to their opinion" Watch

emit.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Can you say someone is entitled to an opinion if they don't know every single fact there is about the issue concerned?
Dekota
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes.
zhivago
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, because I doubt anybody knows "every single fact" about any issue concerned. The opinion may not be as informed as it could be, perhaps it would be lacking reliability and credibility, but one is still entitled to it. It just depends whether the person is willing to be ripped apart by other people who know more on the subject, than them.
Dekota
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by emit.)
Can you say someone is entitled to an opinion if they don't know every single fact there is about the issue concerned?
I mean; even right now you're asking for opinions in this thread; we don't know every single fact.

:cool:
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
opinon and fact are completely different surely

--------------

i mean in my opinon strong cheese is nasty, but thats not fact
zhivago
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The issue isn't whether an opinion is the same as fact, it is whether someone should offer an opinion on something which they do not know much about factually. However, surely if one knew "every single fact" there is to know about something, then there would be no opinion left to give? Why bother, if all solid fact is known?
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by zhivago)
Why bother, if all solid fact is known?
But the opinion is based on how much that person believes in the facts, right?

Edit: I just re-read that and it doesn't make sense! :rolleyes:

>Opinions are useful when the facts aren't set in stone, esp moral issues.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the point Trigger was making is that some opinions are made outside the realm of fact. No matter how many facts you know about a particular type of cheese, the statement 'this cheese is revolting' is still an opinion, and somebody else's opinion that 'this cheese is lovely' has equal relevance. Neither can be said to be right or wrong.

So, if a person only had half of the facts about cheese at their disposal, their opinion would be just as relevant.

I think that's what she meant, anyway...
zhivago
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
>Opinions are useful when the facts aren't set in stone, esp moral issues.
Yeah, that's what I meant with my comment, so I agree.

Trousers, I agree with what you have said also. But then if someone is to say that "strong cheese" is nice, then another could assume that to be a generalisation. I mean, there are many different variations of "strong cheese" are there not? Perhaps experience is a factor? I mean, what if somebody knew "every fact" there was to know on an issue, but had never experienced it first hand. Would their opinion still be relevant? For example, somebody could know every thing there is to know about the Iraqi war, but would their opinion be as valid as a British army officer who had fought there and watched his friends die? It reminds me of what Robin Williams' character talks about in "Good Will Hunting"...

But yes, I stick by my opinion that if somebody has every single known fact in regards to a subject, then there would be no real need to pass opinion. But, I also believe that it is an impossibility to know every single fact on a particular issue, so opinion is thus, always important and relevant.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by emit.)
yes then can.

if you think they cant its clear you never think for yourself...or vote...or enter into any sort of dialogue.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
An opinion doesnt have to be an absolute truth about something.. It's just someone's view on a topic.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by emit.)
Of course they are.
smellielli
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, their opinion (in my opinion :P: ) will just be worth less.
Catski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If someone feels they can express their opinion on a given topic or issue, I'd like to think that they know their limitations and knowledge of that topic. I have little patience with people who rant on and on about their opinion of something when they are entirely uninformed. I'm much more impressed when people admit their limits and are willing to re-evaluate their opinion based on new knowledge that they gain.

So yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but definitely in my mind that opinion is valued by how much the person in question is aware of the issue.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is more and more my opinion that a large number of people's opinions are a load of crap.

Mainly precisely because they have opinions on things they have no idea about. The internet is bad for this - It is very easy to get a reasonable understanding of a topic (I am guilty of this) from the net and then relay it as if you were an expert.
Mr Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is opinion, there is fact and there is comedy. The latter of which gets censored on this forum.
MNBStyle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by trigger)
opinon and fact are completely different surely

--------------

i mean in my opinon strong cheese is nasty, but thats not fact
I agree with you,
About the difference between opinion and fact not cheese :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.54%
No (392)
72.46%

Watched Threads